X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
    I wonder if Bullock used that painting to get people to think it is a picture of Cutbush? There's a b/w version in the book and it's not even captioned. The only mention of it is in the acknowledgements at the back where he says it came from John D Squires. It does seem a bit of overkill using that drawing as it is reproduced three times. On the cover, as a frontispiece and on the back cover.

Rob
    Yes, I thought that too, Rob. The first page shows just that picture, preceded by the quote from Cutbush 'I have only been cutting up girls and laying them out.'

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    It would be great IF David Bullock has indeed put his hands on an image of Cutbush. Certainly if I were browsing in a bookshop, I'd expect the face on the cover to be either "The Man Who Would Be Jack," or David Bullock.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    replied
    I wonder if Bullock used that painting to get people to think it is a picture of Cutbush? There's a b/w version in the book and it's not even captioned. The only mention of it is in the acknowledgements at the back where he says it came from John D Squires. It does seem a bit of overkill using that drawing as it is reproduced three times. On the cover, as a frontispiece and on the back cover.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    This pic, presumably of Tracy, looks a bit similar to the young version above :
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Thanks Debs & Bob !
    You may be right Bob...
    Debs...the one from Mr. Bullock's bookcover is a little strange, at that.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    Could there have been a reversal in one of the photos?

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Originally posted by How Brown View Post
    The reason I ask is its rare when a man changes the side he parts his hair on...its one of those habits we often don't change....
    These two look very different to me too, How, but there is probably a big time gap between the pics? So, I'm not sure as the nose seems definitely the same. The younger, thinner Tracy's picture looks very strange though. That's why originally, like Chris, I wondered if it was a picture of Thomas Cutbush!

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    The reason I ask is its rare when a man changes the side he parts his hair on...its one of those habits we often don't change....

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Rob, Debs, all

Do these two resemble each other ?

The one on the left is Louis Tracy ( I've set up a new thread in The Reporters section)...and Rob has mentioned that the one on the right is said to be Tracy as well.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    TP also had the Weekly Sun, but that was 1891 so can't be related either, I did just read that TP was impressed by a piece of louis Tracy's writing in the Weekly Sun and so made him assistant editor of the Sun.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    replied
    Hi Debs,

I don't think there is a connection. The Sun with the Cutbush articles was set up by T P O'Conner of 'The Star' fame. I think he was still at 'The Star' when the other Sun was going.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    My mistake...thanks a lot, Rob, for clearing that up.
    Debs...from what I gather, the Sun newspapers I've read were working-class oriented.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Thanks, Rob. And no relation between the two?
    In all other online sources, apart from the catalogue entry you showed, it has the Sun starting in 1892 and not 1893...very confusing.

Sorry,How, missed your post. looks like it was different but I wonder if there was a relationship between the two versions? They were both working class newspapers with similar politics from what I can gather. Do you get that impression too?

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    replied
    Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
    Hi Rob,
    It's this version of the Sun it was in; with archives available for 89 and 90 so far. Is it different to the one which made the accusations about Thomas?

[ATTACH]10936[/ATTACH]

Yes, perhaps it was Race who started the rumours of a Cutbush relationship. Macnaghten may only have repeated the information without properly investigating the claim if the information was not meant for public consumption.
    Hi Debs,

There were two different 'The Sun' with a few years of each other.

This is the one the Cutbush story appears in:

The Sun.
    Newspaper Library :no.1-4113 (27 June 1893 - 11 Oct.1906)

and your one is:

The Sun.
    Newspaper Library :no.1-49 (21 April 1889 - 23 March 1890)

Confusing isn't it?

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Debs:

I believe that that is the same Sun which carried the 1894 reports.
    I am trying to locate a reference to the date the newspaper first appeared in London...but am having a bit o' problem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X