The Elephant Man- Joseph Merrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Elephant Man- Joseph Merrick

How is this for a wacky Ripper suspect? JTR was none other than The Elephant Man himself, John/Joseph Merrick! Motive? The guy is very seriosuly deformed, mocked by many as a sideshow freak attraction, no woman wants him, he resides in a hospital (under the care of Dr. Treves); this could account for alleged "medical knowledge; the hospital is in the heart of Whitechapel, same hospital where Openshaw examined the "From hell" kidney and received a Ripper letter. He kills prostitutes to vent his rage against women and society in general and then makes his way back to the hospital, no one suspecting the truth. LOL.

Stupid, I know, but hey, this IS the wacky Suspect section.

Elephant Man

I caught up with the Elephant Man in Prague but despite a search could find no knife on him -

Comment

However you located the apron piece Stewart.

And Merrick never used the name John. Pet peeve and I apologise for it.

Need to go past his childhood street today...now theres a mundane fact.

Monty

Comment

Originally posted by SPE View Post
        I caught up with the Elephant Man in Prague but despite a search could find no knife on him
        Very wise. You can't be too careful in this day and age, SPE

Comment

Stewart, you really should wear more clothes!

And Prague obviously suits Merrick - he scrubs up well with that nice shirt and sunny smile.

Love,

Caz
          X
          I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Rather rude of the gent to point out your sagging jowls.
            To Join JTR Forums :
            Contact [email protected]

Comment

What a wacky theory indeed. Joseph Merrick must of have been clever indeed to sneak out of his hospital bed even with his condition and past the nurses and doctors over to Whitechapel.

Then get a Prostitute with his looks no less it is no wonder the victims were mostly alcoholics, so I guess that point kinda makes sense in a way as the prostitutes might of been too drunk or in need of mind numbing, and it would of taken a lot of liquor not to care about his disfigurement.

That point aside he still had to get the prostitute to go off with him into a dark ally so he could kill them. especially if he got them falling down drunk before hand.

Well, if it was him then all I can say is damn he's smooth. He's down right slick.

Comment

The JTR "draw a name out of a barrel, anybody who was alive in 1888 will do" suspect list continues, eh?

Bit of a post-humous kick in the guts though for a bloke who was apparently, actually quite a nice individual.

Cheers,
                Adam.

Comment

This theory doesn't Merrick any consideration!
                  Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                  https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                  Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Hey Adam and Chris,

Sorry I missed your replies.

Well, I think it was a load of hokum although it did get me interested in John Merrick again. I havn't read about him since I was a teenager. Time for a recap.

Merricks had a facsinating but also hard and brutal life, which is the only thing he has in common with our Jack. So the theorists will have to keep on trucking and find somebody else to make screwball theories about.

Comment

Originally posted by George Lorton View Post
                      Hey Adam and Chris,

Sorry I missed your replies.

Well, I think it was a load of hokum although it did get me interested in John Merrick again. I havn't read about him since I was a teenager. Time for a recap.

Merricks had a facsinating but also hard and brutal life, which is the only thing he has in common with our Jack. So the theorists will have to keep on trucking and find somebody else to make screwball theories about.
                      Hi George

Indeed Merrick's life story is fascinating. Glad this dopey idea about Merrick being the Ripper refreshed your appetite to delve into his story once more.

All the best

Chris
                      Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Thanks Chris,

Funny thing is that I think I found out about Merrick from reading up on Jack The Ripper anyways back in the late 80's. Although I had seen "The Elephant Man" about Merrick as a 'little' kid, I didn't know it was about him and thought it was fiction. Well the film was fact and is a movie I heartily recommend, strangely enough it was produced by funny man Mel Brooks

Comment

Hi,

Thought I'd share these images from Leicester.

The first is the site of The Gaiety, the music hall Merrick first 'showed' himself under the management of his good friend Sam Toor. Alas, as you can see, it is no more. Laid flat for a block of flats, to be named Joseph Merrick House. I think funding has ran out. I managed to nab a brick from it though.

The second image is of Lee Street, young Josephs family home was here.

Monty

Ps, apologies for the side on presentation. Maybe How can help....sorry H.
                          Thanks Neil !

Comment

Thanks Monty, I know about Merrick's later life in the Hospital but almost nothing about his early life.

Comment

Great photos, Monty.

As for Dr. Treves....meh. Some people will tell you that Oskar Schindler was a prick of a person as well, but his actions speak for themselves. Same with Dr. Treves, he may have had his faults, but everybody does and ultimately his efforts prevented Merrick from spending the rest of his days as a travelling freak show.

Cheers,
                              Adam.

Comment

Working...
                              X