• Show
Clear All

• Articles Featuring William Grant Grainger

Morning Post
    February 12,1895

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Prior Charge For Assault

...and I wonder whether it was with a knife like the Graham assault.

Pall Mall Gazette
    February 20, 1895
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I wonder what the peculiarity of the knife was

Seems it was not a tradesman's knife

You can see an implication there that the police garnered some extra information which recalled the Ripper crimes, though this could have been anything already mentioned really, such as his sailor background, his mother's comments etc

Comment

Sheffield & Rotherham Independent
        February 12, 1895
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

"Well Connected"

Birmingham Daily Post
          March 8,1895
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Daily News
            March 28, 1895
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

On another thread it was suggested that the police never really suspected Grainger of complicity in the WM...although they did make inquiries into his background
              Post 41 on the following thread :

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=12794

The facts however are that they did and the efforts they undertook prove as much. Several, if not several dozens of, women, were assaulted on the streets between the Kelly murder and Alice Graham's assault in February of 1895 but the perpetrators were undoubtedly not as thoroughly scrutinized as Grainger was.
              Location of the wounds ( the vagina ), the victim being an unfortunate, the use of a knife, and the location of the crime all made Grainger a Ripper suspect for however long the police felt that he was viable.

The reference to the dismay of the Recorder in the court trial found in the recent article Debra Arif posted on another Grainger related thread is found in the following.

Reynold's Newspaper
              March 31, 1895
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Derby Mercury
                April 3, 1895
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

On another thread, Nemo mentioned :

In my mind there may have some small truth in Grainger's explanation that hooligans caused Alice's injuries as the policemen came upon Grainger standing over Alice and immediately arrested him, whereas the knife was found some distance away with a blood trail leading to it indicating it probably wasn't thrown there.

The amount of blood which would be found on this knife Grainger used could leave a blood trail if it were thrown to wherever it was tossed, if indeed it had been tossed.
                  Take a painter's stirring stick, put it in a gallon of red paint, let the excess drip off, then toss it away in an underhand (like throwing a softball) motion away from yourself. Believe me, it will leave a stain on the surface in a trail. It wouldn't have been too bright had Grainger taken the knife and tossed it overhanded ( like a baseball pitcher), since the blood would splatter downwards on top of Grainger. Grainger,according to Alice Graham, was not drunk at the time he stabbed her. One could see a drunk throwing it overhanded.
                  What else is a guy who is caught red handed going to say but a lie ( that hooligans did it and he was some sort of patsy) ?
                  Back to Nemo.............

NorthEastern Daily Gazette
                  February 12, 1895
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

This article refers to "clots of blood" which is a different description than one of a "trail of blood" ( where periodic spots appear in a row ).
                    Interesting.

One notices the remark that there had been a previous charge of the same nature against Grainger....but the woman did not prosecute.

Factor in the time ( or perhaps, times ) Grainger alleged that his clothes had been stolen from him by prostitutes....and that Grainger actually states on the record that Graham tried to bilk him ( Bilk him of what ? The "payoff"..a night in the sack together with this unfortunate). He isn't leery of admitting to liasing with prosses and has a track record of being in their company.

Glasgow Herald
                    February 12, 1895
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

If we could locate the previous charge of violent assault that the Glaswegian paper mentions that was dropped...it would be extremely interesting to know the particulars of that crime.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Teamwork

By the way, I'd like to thank Rob Clack once more for finally determining the nature of the wound on Alice Graham. Up to now and I believe I speak for all of us...that the location of her wound ( the vagina ) was unknown.

This development appears to be or is in fact a result of Debra Arif's original contention that Jabez Balfour may have been referring to Grainger all along in a Balfour-penned work.

Without Deb's bringing it up, we wouldn't have had the benefit of now knowing why the police considered Grainger a possible suspect in the WM back in 1888,courtesy of Rob Clack's trip to the source and bringing the location of her wound to light..

It also answers the question for me ,at least, as to why Grainger was investigated to the extent that he was. Now things are clear....
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Coincidence

One of the umpteen coincidences we find trawling or researching....

Directly across from a reference to Jabez Balfour on the very same page in the May 7,1895, Pall Mall Gazette...look at who they're discussing :

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                            One of the umpteen coincidences we find trawling or researching....

Directly across from a reference to Jabez Balfour on the very same page in the May 7,1895, Pall Mall Gazette...look at who they're discussing :

Hello How,

I wonder, without having seen the entire page.. is it possible that the disussion of Grainger carries on from an article at the bottom of the previous column? In which case, can we see the whole article about Grainger?

best wishes

Phil
                            from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

Hi Howard

Despite the idea that these unfortunates would have had a 5 minute sexual interaction with a stranger, all the evidence I've ever seen points toward the man having to at least treat the woman to a drink, a coffee, a bed or something, and they seem to spend quite some time with the woman before anything sexual occurs

Either Alice was stringing him along and he wasn't prepared to wait any longer, or they were actually consentually at that location, but either way he got violent with her, while sober too

To be crude, it sounds like he had her skirts raised and his hand on her genitals while she was probably in a similar pose with him

He must have drawn the knife and thrust it into her (if indeed that's where the injury is) without her seeing it, denoted by her vague description of him using "something sharp" on her

To have so much blood on the knife to leave a trail of clots when thrown, his hand would probably be covered in blood also, and Alice must have been losing quite a bit

Or...there is some truth to the hooligan story, but I don't think so

Which means that Grainger might have been mindful enough and "skilful" enough to be able to throw his bloody knife a distance of 30 yards with a hand/arm movement unnoticed by observing policemen

If I had to commit my thoughts on him, I'd say he stabbed Alice and the previous victim in the vagina/genital area before consummating a sexual act, which may have designated him a sexual deviant. Though I'm surprised this was not mentioned, possibly due to the censorship which may have been in place to prevent a dragging up the Ripper case again

Comment

Working...
                              X