Previous convictions and another alias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes - or much later, it's a bit of a mystery

Why would he say to Forbes Winslow that he was "lately of the same profession as you" in 1910

Yet George Kebble appeared to be under the impression that Grainger was a medically trained Ripper or at minimum medically trained by 1895

He (George) found nothing untoward in considering Grainger was a hospital medical student circa 1889

Royal Navy service might have included some medical training

I see Navy crew lists from 1883 and 1888 but require subscription - Hopefully someone like Chris George has access to such military records and won't mind chipping in, otherwise I'll risk £10 for access

Grainger was in possession of a very unusual surgical knife and to me, the evidence of him being from a respectable and well connected family and having medical training sounds like that could be the information gained accidentally by George Kebbell while working for a different client and which convinced him Grainger was the Ripper

Comment

In 1879, aged 19, he is described as having WG tattooed on his left forearm and marks near his ear.
      By 1883 he is described with the tumour and scars on his neck and both hands tattooed.
      In these records he is described as a labourer born in Ballyhooley Rd,his description matching Graingers apart from in 1879 he was an inch shorter-but he was still a teenager so that may account for that discrepancy.

I get the feeling that in Winslow's case Grainger was just going along with him when he agreed that he was 'lately a medical student'? Lately implies recently whereas Kebble thought Grainger had had medical training before his crime in 1895. Both can't be true.

Comment

IIRC Grainger appears to be describing events in 1895 - ie "I was lately of the same profession as you when I was arrested for the Alice Graham stabbing"

The Royal Navy tattoo on his hands at an early age might indicate lifelong service in the seafaring trades

He was described as running away to sea at a young age

The quote from LFW's "Recollections of Forty Years" says

"I was lately studying for the same profession as yourself, and was an Irish medical student."

I always thought it strange that he would refer to himself as an "Irish medical student"

Comment

Top shelf work, Neems and Debs !
          To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact [email protected]

Comment

All Deb's work Howard but thanks all the same

Deb, if the lumps on his neck and face were prominent prior to 1883, scrofula might have been something he picked up on board a Victorian ship, scrofula apparently being contracted after being in a confined space with an infected person

It might explain him distancing himself from the Navy at a young age and joining the infantry based militia, from which he was expelled

However, as far as I know, you could be a member of the militia and still have a job such as sailor

Comment

I wonder if he had "WG" on his arm/wrist and kept having to have aliases such as William Green, William Grant etc, so he tried to change the "G" tattoo into one of a bracelet to disguise it, rather than having a bracelet tattooed around his wrist

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                I wonder if he had "WG" on his arm/wrist and kept having to have aliases such as William Green, William Grant etc, so he tried to change the "G" tattoo into one of a bracelet to disguise it, rather than having a bracelet tattooed around his wrist
                I had the exact same thought Nemo. In that case 'George' may also have been a surname alias that fitted rather than a first name as you mentioned a while back.

I agree with How, I certainly couldn't have deciphered that tiny scrawl in a million years!

Comment

Yes, William George - lol

I notice all his aliases are English

All these aliases would explain why he could not be found on any ship's crew list in 1888 - him not volunteering any useful information

Comment

Concidentally, I recently purchased "The Victorian criminal" by Neil Storey

On pg16 it has a reward poster from 1894 for a criminal with the distinctive marks :- CG and bracelet right arm

In checking bracelet tattoos, they are likely to circle the wrist

However, since Grainger's "WG" tattoo appears to be near the wrist there is still the possibility that he disguised the "G" in some way

Comment

Has any forum member got access to Naval records circa 1879-83? and would be willing to search for Grainger please?

I'm also wondering if the knowledge of the origins of scrofula type swellings was advanced enough in the 1880's for Grainger to know what his affliction was

In the LVP there appears to be some perceived link between the affliction and sexual excess and/or syphillitic symptoms

Grainger might have blamed prostitutes for his disease

Comment

Working...
                      X