William Grant Grainger, Sor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Grant Grainger, Sor

Here is an interesting conviction in London, 1891. Covent Garden area. His repeated use of "Sor" reminded me of a certain letter.

London Middlesex Gazette January 31, 1891

GREAT find, Jerry !!

It makes you think, doesn't it, buddy ? The 'Sor' ??
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Forgot to mention...not sure what Debs thinks....but most articles I've seen or come across myself refer to him as William Grant. That you found him named as Grainger sweetens the pot, JD.

Again, great find.
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Nice find, Jerry!

How-Grainger was admitted to Banstead asylum in 1891 under the name Grainger, it's mentioned in the A to Z.
        I think the alias Grant came about because in 1895, after stabbing Alice Graham, Grainger claimed to have never been in England before. The initials WG were tattooed on his wrist and all his aliases used those initials as a consequence- William Grainger/Grant/Green

Comment

Thanks Debs.

I recall you or Chris Phillips working on the Banstead records and that he was registered under the name Grainger.....I was referring to the newspapers...and your comment demonstrates why its hard to find an article with him listed as William Grant Grainger or just Grainger.

XXXXXXXXXXXX
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Aibout the use of 'Sor' in the article-isn't it just a journalistic way of emphasising Grainger's Irish accent?

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
              Thanks Debs.

I recall you or Chris Phillips working on the Banstead records and that he was registered under the name Grainger.....I was referring to the newspapers...and your comment demonstrates why its hard to find an article with him listed as William Grant Grainger or just Grainger.

XXXXXXXXXXXX
              How, It was Chris who did that research.

In 1895, only the PMG appeared to have latched on to the fact that Grant's real name was Grainger. Other papers who didn't do any of their own investigations or possibly receive information from official sources, as the PMG appear to have done, would just have used the name he was charged and convicted under in court calendars in their reporting of the 1895 case.

Comment

Could be Debs....but its cool to wonder what if, ain't it ?
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Forgot to mention...not sure what Debs thinks....but most articles I've seen or come across myself refer to him as William Grant. That you found him named as Grainger sweetens the pot, JD.

Again, great find.
                  Thanks Howard.

There are a few interesting things that crop up with this article. For instance, he admits being in London in October of 1890, which gets us a bit closer to placing him there in 1888. The Assistant gaoler said he had a conviction there (London) some time ago previous to this incident. How long is some time ago?

One other thing relating to the letters that caught my eye. There was a letter sent to Leman Street Station around the time of the discoveries in the Thames headed "He is not dead but liveth" [credits to Debs] and an interesting statement supposedly made by Grainger to George Keppell when they met in the presence of Forbes Winslow when Grainger said to Keppell," See, I am not dead yet, but very much alive."

Comment

Could be Debs....but its cool to wonder what if, ain't it ?
                    If it had been Grainger spelling the word himself as 'sor' then I'd definitely take notice, How. As it is, I can't see it as much more than a journalist picking up of Grainger's Irish accent, probably to make more emphasis of the drink/drunk joke? Sorry.

P.S. that warning triangle jumped up and attached itself, How! xxx

Comment

That's cool, Debs !
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

This article refers to Assistant Gaoler Bush who was mentioned in the article posted. He states he had charge of Dr. Cream and an interesting character by the name of "Mog the Fireman", a lady with tremendous strength, during his tenure at Bow Street.

Comment

Good one, Jerry....thanks.
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Howard and Debs,

If, big IF, Grant/Grainger was proven to be in London in the autumn of 1888, how far up your suspect list would that place him? He's been creeping up my own suspect list, as of late.

Comment

Focusing squarely on WGG ( and avoiding counter-proposals like, "What if Ostrog wasn't in a French jail, etc...)....he'd be up there, Jerry...

That he committed a terrible assault upon Alice Graham makes him suspect-worthy to me.
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X