Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Graveyard

Dear friends

Someone here might know (Mr. How knows well), I've spent years looking for graves all over the country (and outside the country too). Among all of them I have some related, to a greater or lesser extent, with our topic of interest. Many of them were found through documents and records, others by the "traditional" method —looking at each tombstone one by one in cemeteries with thousands of graves— and others were already discovered by someone else.

If someone is interested in any information, please, do not hesitate and ask, it will be a pleasure to help if I can. I only jealously keep the location of two or three of them for the book I will publish before I die. If anyone wants to make a contribution, it will be more than welcome.

Alice Cadosch's was the last one I found. I was actually after Albert Cadosh, but I lost track of him in Colchester. I heard he could have gone to Newcastle but that was starting to be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Best Regards

Jose Oranto
    Attached Files

Fascinating stuff, Jose.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
      Fascinating stuff, Jose.
      Thank you very much Gary,

I was also very glad to find PC Edward Watkins, 881City, in Romford Cemetery.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Oranto View Post

Thank you very much Gary,

I was also very glad to find PC Edward Watkins, 881City, in Romford Cemetery.
        Wow! Did you see William Crossingham’s grave while you were there?

Comment

Wow! Did you see William Crossingham’s grave while you were there?
          Glad you like it Gary. Yes sure, have some pics
          Attached Files

Comment

The Crossingham’s last address was just across the road from where I live.

Comment

Jose once shared some photos of the former location and surrounding area of the East River Hotel.....which I greatly appreciate....here's two of them.
              That would be Inspector Byrnes

Jose took this one from the roof of the building which now occupies the former plot the hotel stood on

To Join JTR Forums :
              Contact [email protected]

Comment

Joseph Hyam Levy, Plashet Cemetery, found on February 10, 2022
                Attached Files

Comment

On February 21st, thanks to Mrs. Lisa Jenner, Chapel Attendant East London Cemetery & Crematorium, I learned the approximate place where Frances Coles, Alice McKenzie and the Pinchin St Torso were buried. Unfortunately we cannot be more precise with the location since that the tombstones of the three squares were cleared long ago. The land was raised and reused for new burials, but the new headstones, from the early 20th century, were renumbered differently. As there are not at least two of the old ones still standing, it is not possible to be more precise. Well, they are no less precise than those of The City of London Cemetery.

Frances Coles 21/19270
                  Alice McKenzie 37/21193
                  Unknown Woman 45/16185

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                    Jose once shared some photos of the former location and surrounding area of the East River Hotel.....which I greatly appreciate....here's two of them.
                    That would be Inspector Byrnes

Jose took this one from the roof of the building which now occupies the former plot the hotel stood on

Thanks Amigo mio

Comment

De nada, jefe !
                      To Join JTR Forums :
                      Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Oranto View Post
                        On February 21st, thanks to Mrs. Lisa Jenner, Chapel Attendant East London Cemetery & Crematorium, I learned the approximate place where Frances Coles, Alice McKenzie and the Pinchin St Torso were buried. Unfortunately we cannot be more precise with the location since that the tombstones of the three squares were cleared long ago. The land was raised and reused for new burials, but the new headstones, from the early 20th century, were renumbered differently. As there are not at least two of the old ones still standing, it is not possible to be more precise. Well, they are no less precise than those of The City of London Cemetery.

Frances Coles 21/19270
                        Alice McKenzie 37/21193
                        Unknown Woman 45/16185
                        Its a pity the remains cannot now be located. It would be interesting if DNA could be extracted from the Pinchin Street torso and relatives identified.

Comment

Thanks for those, Jose, particularly the McKenzie one. Looks like she’s in the shade of a tree.

Comment

Thanks for those, Jose, particularly the McKenzie one. Looks like she’s in the shade of a tree.

Not really Gary, we have placed it there because belonging to the same square as Elizabeth Stride, they have very separate numbers, as the square is not very large I wanted to place the improvised memorial as far away as possible from Stride, but honestly, I do not think that McKenzie was buried at edge of the path, that place must have been reserved for private graves. Surely she was buried a little further away

Comment

Dr. Thomas Bond

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X