No announcement yet.

The Graveyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also ran into Frederick Isaac Gold (Percy Lefroy Mapleton case) this morning. I'll try to go soon. Extra Mural Cemetery. Brighton
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
      Jose:

Here's the article in PDF...the issue of Ripper Notes ( Number 18, April 2004 )

Sorry, I wanted to edit the post and deleted it instead.

Third mystery also solved, Robert Donston Stephenson

I just read the Ripper Notes article and it's kind of odd for me, if I understand correctly, Ivor Edwards claimed to have discovered where Robert Donston Stephenson's grave was, but after three pages he doesn't say where it is (I repeat, I may have misunderstood). I'm afraid Ivor Edwards was wrong as Donston's grave seems to be in an area that is still intact, square K3, grave 6933. Tomorrow I'll receive a photo of the exact location, hopefully there may be a headstone though don't bear his name. The most interesting thing is that a few years later a certain Alexander Sinton was buried in the same place, and this grave was private! So who was this Mr. Sinton?

Below I attach the map with the exact location and the cited article in pdf shared by Howard
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose Oranto View Post

The most interesting thing is that a few years later a certain Alexander Sinton was buried in the same place, and this grave was private! So who was this Mr. Sinton?

I found Alexander Sinton but still no idea what can link him to Donston https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...22650659/facts

Alexander Sinton
        Birth 1839, Midlothian, Scotland
        Married 1864, Bethnal Green
        Death 1924, Islington, London

Comment

• No idea who Alexander Sinton was. If I remember correctly it was a Peter Birchwood who found Donston's grave. Birchwood was a friend of Melvin Harris who wrote thee books on Donston as the ripper.
          I noticed on a couple of burial registers you posted that the person was murdered which is odd and not something I have seen before.

Comment

• I wonder if Islington have records of who actually owns the plots? I know Highgate does.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
              No idea who Alexander Sinton was. If I remember correctly it was a Peter Birchwood who found Donston's grave. Birchwood was a friend of Melvin Harris who wrote thee books on Donston as the ripper.
              Take a quick look at the Ripper notes article, Mr. Edwards proudly claims to have found his grave while Melvin Harris did not.

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
              I noticed on a couple of burial registers you posted that the person was murdered which is odd and not something I have seen before.
              Me neither, so surprised

Comment

Possibly writing "murdered" was faster than writing 'shot and stabbed'. If it is of any interest I have the following page as well

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose Oranto View Post

Take a quick look at the Ripper notes article, Mr. Edwards proudly claims to have found her grave while Melvin Harris did not.
                  Melvin passed away the burial place was found. I can't remember if it was before or after.

Comment

Melvin passed away the burial place was found. I can't remember if it was before or after.
                    Doesn't matter, anyway Ivor got the wrong place, don't know Birchwood

Comment

• Miriam Angel

​​​​​​Sheffield Independent, July 1, 1887
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Rob, do you know anything about George Godley? Some time ago I searched all the cemeteries near where he had lived, including his hometown and the house of his son where he died (from memory).

Comment

• I don't, I know he lived to a ripe old age. I think 1941 he died. I will have a look.

Comment

• All I can find out about Godley is that he died in Ilford. Sources I have read said that his wife died in 1936. Apparently her name was Emma Adeline, but I can only find Elizabeth Ann of about the right age dying that year and she died in Winchester, Hampshire. If that is her then Winchester might be a possible.

Comment

All I can find out about Godley is that he died in Ilford. Sources I have read said that his wife died in 1936. Apparently her name was Emma Adeline, but I can only find Elizabeth Ann of about the right age dying that year and she died in Winchester, Hampshire. If that is her then Winchester might be a possible.

​​​​​​Thanks Rob for taking the trouble. Well, we'll have to put him on hold. Since I couldn't find it anywhere, I looked, as I told you, at Mount Noddy Cemetery at East Grinstead, but to no avail. Really Godley's would be a very good one

Comment

• You know Robert Anderson is at Kensal Green?

Comment

Working...
                                X