No announcement yet.

The Graveyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might just need a process of elimination. If we have samples of all the letters written by the same person we can then start ruling them out.

Comment

• Here's a list of the prefixes that appear on the map... which is why I think the mark Jose asked about is a D. It's the only realistic possibility.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
        Here's a list of the prefixes that appear on the map... which is why I think the mark Jose asked about is a D. It's the only realistic possibility.
        Since we didn't find any 677 with the prefix 'L' or 'R', I agree with you that the only logical option left is 'D'... unless it's this weird symbol:
        Attached Files

Comment

• There are records in the files with that symbol - which I think is G.

Comment

• Mary Sophia Money

Rob, ​​​​​​I was there this morning. You shouldn't leave it too late, I don't think the writing on the tombstone will last much longer.

Attached Files

Comment

• Thank you Jose, luckily she does have a headstone. Horrible way to die.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                Thank you Jose, luckily she does have a headstone. Horrible way to die.
                She is buried with her father and mother. A thin layer of stone has broken off the tombstone and will soon fall to the ground and nothing will remain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose Oranto View Post

She is buried with her father and mother. A thin layer of stone has broken off the tombstone and will soon fall to the ground and nothing will remain.
                  Her father preceded her and her mother outlived her. Her mother was living in Watford at the time. I shall have to try and get up to see her.

Comment

• Today I was in Plashet and West Ham. It was a great day but I'm running out of time. I have been able to make some very interesting observations that I will share as I post the photos.

This is the list of the graves visited:

Joseph Hyam Levy. Witness to the Miter Square murder.
                    Joseph Aarons. Member of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee.
                    Charles Reeves, a member of the Whitechapel Vigilance Commitee, and his wife Harriett. Parents of artist Ada Reeve.
                    Esther Prager. Bloomsbury murder victim, 1908.
                    Joseph Harris. Father of Harry Harris. Witness to the Mitre Square murder.
                    Solomon De Leeuw. The butcher of Butcher's Row.
                    Caroline Levy. Jacob Levy's mother.
                    John Goodman Levy. 31 Turner Street murder victim, 1896.
                    Augusta Pizer. John Pizer's stepmother.
                    John Pizer
                    Miriam Angel [?]
                    Golda, Kozminski's mother.
                    Isaac Abraham and his wife Bertha. Kozminski's brother, and his sister in law.
                    Woolf Abrahams and his wife Betsy. Kozminski's brother, and his sister in law.
                    Matilda and her husband by Ella Morris Cohen. Kozminski's sister, and his brother in law.

Comment

• Look what a coincidence. The grave that we can see between the monuments of Joseph Hyam Levy and his wife, is that of Betsy, Kozminski's sister in law.

Attached Files

Comment

• Since, some time ago, I shared a photo of the grave of Hyam Levy and Chris of the Kozminski family members, so I will not post them again.

Chris, this is Caroline Levy's grave.

I would say that it is exaggeratedly large to be a simple tombstone (it may not be possible to see its real size in the photo), stands out from the rest of the headstones in its row. It must have cost a lot of money. From what can still be read, it doesn't seem like there's anyone else with her. I think, I read something like: "Caroline beloved wife of Joseph Levy...", but I don't think I read that Joseph Levy was also buried there. Nor does it seem likely, since the rows are perfectly ordered by years and months, that is, when Joseph Levy died, that row did not yet exist. He must have been buried in the 1886 row, which is about three rows back. Unfortunately I had to leave without being able to check as the cemetery was going to close.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks very much for posting those photos of Caroline Levy's gravestone. Obviously you navigated more skilfully than we did, and managed to find the right one!

And I never realised that Joseph Hyam Levy was buried so close to Woolf, Betsy and Golda at Plashet. It's a small world.

Comment

• Chris, that fallen and broken tombstone you see in the photo is the 'West Ham A - 5 - 25 (28/05/1895)', which corresponds to Solomon De Leeuw. Is that our De Leeuw?

​​​​​​It's only a few graves away from Goodman Levy and Joseph Harris.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose Oranto View Post
                              Chris, that fallen and broken tombstone you see in the photo is the 'West Ham A - 5 - 25', which corresponds to Solomon De Leeuw. Is that our De Leeuw?
                              Yes, that is the right Solomon. As I mentioned before, that was one of the few we managed to find when we visited West Ham, and inevitably it was lying down. Incidentally, like Jacob Levy he died in Stone Asylum.

Comment

• Joseph Harris, Harry Harris' father

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X