Fake Photos Of Crime Scenes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
    I think the revamp looks fine. I will have a look over the weekend but the recent changes never bothered me as Mitre Square disappeared years ago.

Regards

Rob
    Hi Rob,

That's true.

I've checked out the new Mitre Square on the internet, and it's a vast improvement on the depressing 1970s architectural crap that largely surrounded the square.

My best regards,

Sean.

Comment

Rob, Sean, anyone

This is reputed to be Durward Street, Is it ?

To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact [email protected]

Comment

Hi How,

Yes it is.

It's appeared in quite a few publications over the years, not least Terence Sharkey's uninspiring book of 1987.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Comment

Sean:

Thanks....I thought it was, but just thinking it is doesn't cut it.
          Much appreciated.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
            Sean:

Thanks....I thought it was, but just thinking it is doesn't cut it.
            Much appreciated.
            Hi How,

Just rejigged my brain! The photo was originally taken by Leonard Matters and appears in his 1928 book, "The Mystery of Jack the Ripper". It shows the row of terraced houses (mirrored in neighbouring Winthrop Street). The Board School, with rooftop playground and distinctive cornerstones, stands at the point where the two streets converge.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Comment

Speaking of "fake" photos, but not related to the East End:

A couple of years ago I posted a photograph of two women, apparently vagrants, sleeping on a bench in Trafalgar Square. I didn't post these details but I knew the photograph was copyrighted in 1899 by a London photographic company in Oxford Street and the photographer had an address in Holloway London.
              I also have the photograph as a profile background on Facebook and someone contacted me recently to show me that the photograph appears in a 1948 published book about old Aberdeen. The Trafalgar Square background had been cut off and the photograph was being described as market workers having a rest on a bench, and supposedly taken in Union Terrace Aberdeen. The stone balustrades in that area being very similar to the ones shown in the photograph of Trafalgar Square.

There is no doubt the photograph was taken in Trafalgar Square as the background showed and I was able to find another 1895 photograph of Trafalgar Square showing approximately where the bench was.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TF.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	558505

Name:	tf benches.JPG
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	558506

This is how the photograph appears in the 1948 book on Aberdeen:

Name:	aberdeen.JPG
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	558507

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                Hi Sean,

The George Yard Buildings landing photographs in Ramseys book are not George Yard Buildings. They are the next building down.
                I have heard of the photo you speak about and while i haven't seen it I k know people who have. I think John Bennett has seen it. I can't remember the blokes name but he acted a bit funny over it. John Bennett said it was the rear of George Yard Buildings.
                There is a photo of George Yard Buildings in Johns E1 book.

Regards

Rob

Yes I believe Ramsey's photos were taken in St George's House.

The photo of the rear of GYB which appeared in my E1 book was from the Toynbee Hall Archives (there was one of the rear of St George's House too). Regarding the other one of the rear of GYB, this was shown to me by a fella on one of my tours who collected glass plates and had this developed. It is almost exactly the same as the one from Toybnee Hall , except there are some people in the picture and (if I remember rightly) washing on the balconies. It was a nice picture and apparently, as it was from a glass plate, the resolution was formidable. NOt sure what the date was.

I can't remember the chap's name for the life of me and I think he did participate on one of the forums, but as Rob correctly states, he was very reluctant to post it up on the internet. This was about 8 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                  Speaking of "fake" photos, but not related to the East End:

A couple of years ago I posted a photograph of two women, apparently vagrants, sleeping on a bench in Trafalgar Square. I didn't post these details but I knew the photograph was copyrighted in 1899 by a London photographic company in Oxford Street and the photographer had an address in Holloway London.
                  I also have the photograph as a profile background on Facebook and someone contacted me recently to show me that the photograph appears in a 1948 published book about old Aberdeen. The Trafalgar Square background had been cut off and the photograph was being described as market workers having a rest on a bench, and supposedly taken in Union Terrace Aberdeen. The stone balustrades in that area being very similar to the ones shown in the photograph of Trafalgar Square.

There is no doubt the photograph was taken in Trafalgar Square as the background showed and I was able to find another 1895 photograph of Trafalgar Square showing approximately where the bench was.

[ATTACH]18322[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18323[/ATTACH]

This is how the photograph appears in the 1948 book on Aberdeen:

[ATTACH]18324[/ATTACH]
                  Hi Debs,

Yes, definitely Trafalgar Square. The imposing building to left of the two ladies is The Grand Hotel.

My best wishes,

Sean X.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                    Yes I believe Ramsey's photos were taken in St George's House.

The photo of the rear of GYB which appeared in my E1 book was from the Toynbee Hall Archives (there was one of the rear of St George's House too). Regarding the other one of the rear of GYB, this was shown to me by a fella on one of my tours who collected glass plates and had this developed. It is almost exactly the same as the one from Toybnee Hall , except there are some people in the picture and (if I remember rightly) washing on the balconies. It was a nice picture and apparently, as it was from a glass plate, the resolution was formidable. NOt sure what the date was.

I can't remember the chap's name for the life of me and I think he did participate on one of the forums, but as Rob correctly states, he was very reluctant to post it up on the internet. This was about 8 years ago.
                    Hi John,

Thanks for confirming, and thanks also for the additional information.

Warmest regards,

Sean.

Comment

Debs:

Congrats on noticing the goof in the Aberdeen book.....it makes me wonder how many other mistakes, intentional or otherwise, are in the books we use ?

One goof which comes to mind is the photo of a man said to be Fred Deeming in SPE/DR's 'Scotland Yard Investigates. Its clearly not Deeming... the photo is of a non-Caucasian.

XXXXX
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Crundall View Post
                        Hi Debs,

Yes, definitely Trafalgar Square. The imposing building to left of the two ladies is The Grand Hotel.

My best wishes,

Sean X.
                        Thanks Sean. I was hoping someone would be able to put a name to one of the landmarks for me for future reference. X

Comment

Debs:

Congrats on noticing the goof in the Aberdeen book.....it makes me wonder how many other mistakes, intentional or otherwise, are in the books we use ?

One goof which comes to mind is the photo of a man said to be Fred Deeming in SPE/DR's 'Scotland Yard Investigates. Its clearly not Deeming... the photo is of a non-Caucasian.

XXXXX
                          Thanks How, I didn't notice it in the book myself, someone contacted me on FB and said the pic appeared in a book on Aberdeen as local to the area (and a much later time frame) and I was able to say that wasn't so because of the background visible on the version I posted.

Weirdly I was looking at that Deeming pic you mentioned a couple of weeks back. I thought it looked like another murderer who'd been mentioned on the boards at the time. I'd looked that man up and found a picture that I thought bore some resemblance to how I remembered the white haired man pic, supposed to be of Deeming. I can't remember the murderer's name at the moment but his picture was in a scrapbook in the Woods Detective Archives . I don't think it was him though.

Comment

Debs:

XXXXX
                            Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                            Thanks How, I didn't notice it in the book myself, someone contacted me on FB and said the pic appeared in a book on Aberdeen as local to the area (and a much later time frame) and I was able to say that wasn't so because of the background visible on the version I posted.

Weirdly I was looking at that Deeming pic you mentioned a couple of weeks back. I thought it looked like another murderer who'd been mentioned on the boards at the time. I'd looked that man up and found a picture that I thought bore some resemblance to how I remembered the white haired man pic, supposed to be of Deeming. I can't remember the murderer's name at the moment but his picture was in a scrapbook in the Woods Detective Archives . I don't think it was him though.
                            The Deeming photo I believe first appeared in Alan Brock's book 'A Casebook of Crime' from 1948. Next to a dubious photo of Amelia Dyer.

Name:	A casebook of crime.jpg
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	558508

Rob

Comment

Thanks a lot, Rob....never heard of that volume. Much appreciated....

Real Deeming

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X