No announcement yet.

Rubenhold Sez :

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That doesn't count as a book, because it wasn't heartbreaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      It broke mine when I paid full price for it, back in 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
        Rubenhold cites it in her bibliography under the heading Secondary Sources/Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
          It broke mine when I paid full price for it, back in 2013
          Was it rubbish, Dave?

Even if it was, assuming HR actually read all the books etc she cites, then she has been deliberately misleading us all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
            Was it rubbish, Dave?
            As it happens Gary, no it wasn't...but I found it a very "dry as dust" book, for the most part listing all the genealogical research...if you're turned on by that process for it's own sake, I suppose it's interesting...but despite being warned, (and as usual taking no notice!) I think I was hoping for more...

Neal Shelden's little book was far warmer, paricularly in it's treatment of the women and their descendants, and I do regret the huge prices now being charged (cheapest I've seen of late was Loretta Lay's £40 - but I've seen well over the hundred being asked) may deter newer students from buying it...

Dave

Comment

Is Hallie following our discussions?

45AE0613-A999-4BA6-81C5-C6FE85EE6561.jpeg

I’m not sure where the witch accusation comes from - any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                As it happens Gary, no it wasn't...but I found it a very "dry as dust" book, for the most part listing all the genealogical research...if you're turned on by that process for it's own sake, I suppose it's interesting...but despite being warned, (and as usual taking no notice!) I think I was hoping for more...

Neal Shelden's little book was far warmer, paricularly in it's treatment of the women and their descendants, and I do regret the huge prices now being charged (cheapest I've seen of late was Loretta Lay's £40 - but I've seen well over the hundred being asked) may deter newer students from buying it...

Dave
                Sounds right up my street.

I’ve got a copy of Shelden’s book. It has a white cover and is little more than a pamphlet to be honest. I bought it dirt cheap online and it came with photocopies of the death certs of the 5. I think there may be an updated version?

I have to admit that I have borrowed my copy of The Five back from my granddaughter, who shows no sign of being interested in the case or her family history. The book is an excellent introduction to the lives of the women, but needs to be handled with caution.

Compared to a recent book I purchased about Martha Tabram, The Five is an excellent read. The Tabram book is the worst-written book I have ever read. But it’s given me some confidence that I might be able to knock out something on Alice that might be a little better.

Comment

Working...
                X