Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracy Ianson
    replied
    No problem How - you know what they say the simple things are the best, and there is nothing more simple than me.

I'm sure Nina keeps some old things round

Tracy

Leave a comment:

• String
    replied
    Damn!, We nearly done it Robert, never mind we got the wrong computer.
    On too phase 2 of stop Howard Brown.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Thanks for the advice folks.

Tracy...as obvious as your advice might seem, it was something we didn't try...and it worked. I am a hoarder of extra computer parts and recieve nothing but grief from Nina because to her, saving these extra mouse and keyboards and computers is unnecessary.

Well....Mrs. Eating Crow is pleased because we put one of the old, used and previously too good for Nina and her laptop into the USB and it's okay now.

Phil, Nemo....thanks very much for trying to help. I appreciate it.

Now I don't have to listen to someone whine and sit around moping.

Leave a comment:

• Tracy Ianson
    replied
    Hi Nina

Sorry if this sounds petty obvious but would not plugging an external mouse in help. If that works then it may be your mousepad.

I use a wireless external mouse with my laptop and the drivers are downloaded automatically once you put the dongle into the USB hub.

Tracy

Leave a comment:

• Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
    replied
    I've come across that problem before Howard when someone installed Windows from a Windows disc on a laptop rather than the recovery disc supplied with the laptop

It would be a driver issue in my opinion so identifying the correct one and downloading it would be the solution, though with mousepads, often generic drivers will work

Does it work with a usb mouse plugged in?

Does "mousekeys" work?

Whats the model of laptop and the operating system?

If I remember correctly the driver/programme I required was called "synctouchpad" or similar

I think there might also be some hotkey setting on the function keys that switches the pad off so you could check that you haven't accidentally pressed that combination, like shift+F4 or something

PS
    Having read your posts again, if you've re-installed the recovery disc, these solutions probably won't work Howard - lol

Sorry

Leave a comment:

• Phil Carter
    replied
    Quote Chris (my son)

well.. on 2nd thoughts..
    it could also be the driver or the drivers disabled in windows etc
    but nah, dont think the pc is a gonner...prolly is software related
    probably/possibly the drivers

thats about all he can think of.. off the top of his head..

he said that without him seeing it.. he'd have no indication of what to do to fix it

he apologises for not being able to help more.. but its 4am there and he is almost asleep.. so I have now said night night..lol Poor fellow..no stamina..lol

best wishes

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Phil Carter
    replied
    Originally posted by How Brown View Post
    Phil:

Thanks very much to you and your son for the help.

IF the mousepad-movement lock button is in the correct position and the problem still exists, that would probably suggest the mousepad is dead.

Another query : IF the mousepad is dead...can they be fixed or does this mean the laptop is a done deal ?
    I will ask him now

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Phil:

Thanks very much to you and your son for the help.

IF the mousepad-movement lock button is in the correct position and the problem still exists, that would probably suggest the mousepad is dead.

Another query : IF the mousepad is dead...can they be fixed or does this mean the laptop is a done deal ?

Leave a comment:

• Phil Carter
    replied
    Quote from my son, Chris in Paris at 2.30am..haha

"either the mousepad died, OR they just locked it in off mode..i.e. did they turn on the mouse movement lock button?

the latter more likely"

thats what his first thought was...hope it helps.

best wishes

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Phil Carter
    replied
    Hello Nina,

Good evening. I am far from being a pc expert, but I will consult my eldest son who works in Paris in the business, for Blizzard inc.... hope to be back with an answer asap.

best wishes

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    started a topic ***Advice Required For Computer***

***Advice Required For Computer***

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do if a laptop computer's cursor is "frozen" in the center of the screen ?

We've tried removing the battery and operating the laptop without it ( which has Windows Vista ), an idea that someone suggested, but it doesn't help.

Even putting in a recovery disc still finds the cursor frozen in the center of the screen.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Nina
Working...
X