• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drew Gray’s ‘New’ Suspect?

Appears to be James Hardiman:

https://books.google.nl/books?id=u8G...rdiman&f=false

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    Drew seems to be claiming that Hardiman was an employee of Harrison, Barber. This should be interesting.

Comment

Rob Hills proposed James Hardiman 12 years & 1/2 years ago. Issue 75 of Ripperologist Magazine featured a story on Hardiman, entitled Cat's Cradle.
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Judging by the google preview, Drew has made the connection between the locations of the HB yards and the torsos.

You heard it here first!

I believe those connections may be just as strong for Charles Lechmere if, as I suspect, he carried horse flesh on his cart.

As far as I can tell, Hardiman was retail purveyor of horse flesh, a cat’s meat man, and not a horse slaughterer or knacker. On one census the word ‘knacker’ was written above ‘dealer in horseflesh’, but I believe that was simply to clarify the product he was selling.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
          Rob Hills proposed James Hardiman 12 years & 1/2 years ago. Issue 75 of Ripperologist Magazine featured a story on Hardiman, entitled Cat's Cradle.
          Thanks, How, I think I’ve read them on Casebook. It looks like Drew has a lot to say about Harrison, Barber. As I say, this should be interesting.

Comment

I may have to dust off the Harrison, Barber thread.

(Did I hear a collective groan?)

Comment

Thanks for the link to the preview, How.

Comment

I always liked a cat's meat seller as suspect. (We always wonder what happened to the missing organs.)
                The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                  Thanks for the link to the preview, How.
                  You’re welcome, Debs.

Comment

You’re welcome, Debs.
                    My apologies. Thanks for the link to the preview, Gary.

Just spotted an 'oops'

Click image for larger version

Name:	McKenzie.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	559765

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                      My apologies. Thanks for the link to the preview, Gary.

Just spotted an 'oops'

[ATTACH]19900[/ATTACH]
                      Oh, dear!

That could be a mere slip of the pen, though, getting Alice’s and Coles’ dates mixed up?

I’m intrigued by his claim that HB had a yard in Queen Victoria Street - in the very heart of the City, just a few steps away from the Mansion House, the Royal Exchange and the Bank of England. Although they are listed at that address in directories I thought that was just the registered address of the company.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                        I always liked a cat's meat seller as suspect. (We always wonder what happened to the missing organs.)
                        Drew’s theory is that the Ripper and the Torso killer were one and the same. Geographically, someone based in the East End and delivering or obtaining horse flesh to/from HB would be a good fit for the two series’. Not a retail cat’s meat man, though.

Comment

Linking for convenience :

https://www.casebook.org/ripper_medi...t.2007-01.html

Comment

Oh, dear!

That could be a mere slip of the pen, though, getting Alice’s and Coles’ dates mixed up?

I’m intrigued by his claim that HB had a yard in Queen Victoria Street - in the very heart of the City, just a few steps away from the Mansion House, the Royal Exchange and the Bank of England. Although they are listed at that address in directories I thought that was just the registered address of the company.
                            Yes, it looks like that or even a simple typo seeing as the date of 1891 is also included in the next sentence.

The railway connection mention is interesting as I recently found out that Faircloth, Elizabeth Jackson's ex lover had a brother who worked on the railways.
                            I can see from the preview that the authors are suggesting that Elizabeth may have been murdered and cut up in Battersea Park. I don't really think that is feasible but I will buy the book to see what else has been proposed.

Comment

This may become a bone of contention:

Click image for larger version

Name:	6D1D89A7-FD3F-4284-B2A4-0646377FC4D2.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	559766

I think Drew may be arguing that the word knacker implies that Hardiman was a horse-slaughterer. I think it was added to clarify the product he dealt in was knacker’s rather than butcher’s meat. The words cat/cat’s is often used for the same reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X