• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    Hi Debs,

The source given is the baptism record.

Interestingly, this is the address on Harriet’s June, 1888 burial record:

[ATTACH]20589[/ATTACH]

I can’t decipher it, but it’s certainly not Heneage Street. Chicksand, perhaps? But that would be Street not Road.
    Thanks for confirming that, Gary.
    I noticed the address on the burial record too, I think it is supposed to be Chicksand St. On a similar record the address is given as 6 Heneage St and Chicksand (St not Rd in this case) crossed out.

Comment

• Here it is
      Click image for larger version

Name:	harriet death.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	560621

Comment

• So, I wonder why Harriet Maria's birth was registered in Holborn?

Comment

• Looks like the recorders wrote Chickland and Chicklend. HEN-ege and CHICK-land/sand. It sounds like the Forum punsters have been at work. Were chickens once raised on this street or is that EGGzactly the wrong idea?
          The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Hi Anna

According to this, 'Chicksand' has nothing to do with the fowl alleys of east London.

https://londonist.com/2016/06/brick-...gotten-brewery

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
              Hi Anna

According to this, 'Chicksand' has nothing to do with the fowl alleys of east London.

https://londonist.com/2016/06/brick-...gotten-brewery
              Thanks! At least it is not a complex and 'scrambled' history.
              The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• >>So, I wonder why Harriet Maria's birth was registered in Holborn?<<

Given that the child was supposed to be sickly, could that have been some kind of maternity place? Seems unlikely, but just a guess.
                Thanks for your time,
                dusty miller

Comment

• Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
                  >>So, I wonder why Harriet Maria's birth was registered in Holborn?<<

Given that the child was supposed to be sickly, could that have been some kind of maternity place? Seems unlikely, but just a guess.
                  That's a good thought, Dusty. There were speciaist lying in hospitals. The British Lying in hospital was in Holborn I believe.

Comment

• For some reason that I can't remember, I know there was at least one in nearby Covent Garden.
                    Thanks for your time,
                    dusty miller

Comment

• Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
                      For some reason that I can't remember, I know there was at least one in nearby Covent Garden.
                      If it was the British Lying in hospital on Endell Street, Holborn then the patient records still exist at the LMA. Perhaps they do for other lying in hospitals too...if that's why the birth was registered in Holborn, of course. Another thing I wondered about was a sanatorium.
                      Whatever the reason for the registration in Holborn, getting the birth certificate might have provided a start for some other interesting research.

Comment

• Endell Street is the one I was thinking of.

Googling it, I came up with:

"Endell Street British Lying in Hospital, Holborn is one of four "Lying in hospitals" in the Greater London region.

British Lying In Hospital, Endell Street, Holborn was founded in 1749 for married women only. It closed in 1913. Registers of birth and baptism 1749 - 1868 are held in the PRO at Kew. The LMA has a delivery book 1856 - 1860 and case books 1905 - 1909. The Family History Library has microfilmed these registers."

(My emphasis)

and this

"The impetus for the creation of a dedicated lying-in hospital was dissatisfaction on the part of the governors of the Middlesex Hospital with its maternity facilities. A new hospital with 20 beds was established in 1749 in Brownlow Street, Long Acre, Holborn, under the presidency of the 2nd Duke of Portland, and initially called the Lying-In Hospital for Married Women. ("Lying-in" is an archaic term for childbirth, referring to the long bedrest prescribed for new mothers in their postpartum confinement.) Consequent on the establishment of the City of London Lying-In Hospital for Married Women in 1750,[1] and the General Lying-In Hospital (later renamed the Queen Charlotte's Hospital) in 1752, the Holborn hospital changed its name to the British Lying-In Hospital for Married Women in 1856.[2]"
                        Thanks for your time,
                        dusty miller

Comment

• To Join JTR Forums :
                          Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

• Bump for a lying-in hospital. You devil, How.

Comment

• Ok, I've done a little digging.

The book claims James Hardiman was in prison in 1881, but looking at the records, the James Hardiman that was in prison seems to be a totally different person.
                              Attached Files
                              Thanks for your time,
                              dusty miller

Comment

• I think it was Rob Hills who discovered the census entry for a James Hardiman in Wandsworth prison at the time of the 1881 census. His article is reprinted on the other site.

Comment

Working...
                                X