No announcement yet.

Drew Gray’s ‘New’ Suspect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The authors repeat PC Spicer’s claim that he encountered the doctor and Rosy in Heneage Court. Where was that exactly? I can’t find it on any map.

Comment

• Is the link below of any use?

http : //www.casebook.org/press_reports/daily_express/310316.html

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
        Thanks, Dave. Spicer calls it Heneage Court and Drew/Wise seemingly follow his lead. But I’m not sure that there was a Heneage Court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
          Thanks, Dave. Spicer calls it Heneage Court and Drew/Wise seemingly follow his lead. But I’m not sure that there was a Heneage Court.
          I may be off in Wonderland, as I can't find it on a map, but I did notice that there's a couple of references to Heneage Court in 1830 adverts, and in a sanitary complaint in 1861 (a Mr. Solomon slaughtering poultry at No. 3) but the location is somewhere near Leadenhall Street, St. Katherine Cree. The 1861 Census for St. Katherine Cree, District 11 shows a Heneage Lane. There's a court in it called what looks like "Three Herring Court," so maybe a name change? In short, I don't know, but if it exists I don't think it is connected to the more well-known Heneage Street. I thought Spicer was in Aldgate.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
            I may be off in Wonderland, as I can't find it on a map, but I did notice that there's a couple of references to Heneage Court in 1830 adverts, and in a sanitary complaint in 1861 (a Mr. Solomon slaughtering poultry at No. 3) but the location is somewhere near Leadenhall Street, St. Katherine Cree. The 1861 Census for St. Katherine Cree, District 11 shows a Heneage Lane. There's a court in it called what looks like "Three Herring Court," so maybe a name change? In short, I don't know, but if it exists I don't think it is connected to the more well-known Heneage Street. I thought Spicer was in Aldgate.
            Spicer mentions Brick Lane and Commercial Street nick, so he was presumably not a City PC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
              Spicer mentions Brick Lane and Commercial Street, so he was presumably not a City PC.
              No; it doesn't make the slightest sense. And Spicer specifically states the court was in Heneage Street.

Anyway, the 'drunk on duty' charge doesn't inspire a heck of a lot of confidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
                No; it doesn't make the slightest sense. And Spicer specifically states the court was in Heneage Street.

Anyway, the 'drunk on duty' charge doesn't inspire a heck of a lot of confidence.
                If he got the wrong court, perhaps he got the wrong street.

Comment

• The only area that seems to make sense to me is Adelaide Place. It appears to be about fifty yards down Heneage Street on the right coming from Brick Lane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
                    The only area that seems to make sense to me is Adelaide Place. It appears to be about fifty yards down Heneage Street on the right coming from Brick Lane.
                    Jerry,

Yes, that could be it. I can’t get a clear Goad map on my phone. I’ll see if I can get my IT dept to provide me with one later. Someone on Casebook suggested the larger yard on the other side of the street - behind no. 13 - but that looks commercial and closed off to public access.

Gary

Comment

• Comment

• Thanks, Jerry! I was half hoping you would come up with the goods.

Comment

Working...
                        X