Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Point

Hello all!

First post on this site in ages, but now it´s time. Come February, my book "Cutting Point" will be released. It is, of course, a book on Charles Lechmere.

When I was a journalist at Sydsvenskan, the largest daily newspaper of southern Sweden, for a period of time I had an editor in chief by the name of Hans Månsson. When he was first presented to the journalists, he wore a button on his chest. On the button, there was a single word written: "Why?" That was the one thing he always expected journalists to explain, the single most important angle in every article.

It is an approach I try to use in my book.

Why was Charles Lechmere the killer?

Why was he never identified as the killer in 1888?

Why did the murders look the way they did?

Questions like these are what I try to answer in the book, and it is therefore not a book that has any ambition at all to cover the whole field of the Ripper murders and the Thames Torso murders, deeds I hold Charles Lechmere responsible for. Being a journalist, I have tried to detract instead of adding, and to reduce the material to the bare bones as much as possible.

The outcome is a book that has peeled away many names and areas of research that are normally represented in Ripper books. On the other hand, I have added material that is normally not present. The aim has been to make as clear a case as possible for why Charles Lechmere is the man that has been sought for 132 years.

A further "why" that can be added is of course the question why I have written the book now, six years after the documentary. The answer is simple enough: I was approached by Timaios Press, a publishing house, and asked whether I would like to write a book on Lechmere for them. And I believe the timing is correct to do so now, since the question of a shared identity between the Ripper and the Thames Torso killer has been given a lot of interest and attention lately. And if there is one person who is of tremendous interest in that context, then that person is Charles Lechmere.

Cutting Point.
    Timaios Press.
    1st of February 2021.
    Here´s a link to the presentation on the site:
    https://timaiospress.com/cutting-point/
    "In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.

Originally posted by Christer Holmgren View Post
    Hello all!

First post on this site in ages, but now it´s time. Come February, my book "Cutting Point" will be released. It is, of course, a book on Charles Lechmere.

When I was a journalist at Sydsvenskan, the largest daily newspaper of southern Sweden, for a period of time I had an editor in chief by the name of Hans Månsson. When he was first presented to the journalists, he wore a button on his chest. On the button, there was a single word written: "Why?" That was the one thing he always expected journalists to explain, the single most important angle in every article.

It is an approach I try to use in my book.

Why was Charles Lechmere the killer?

Why was he never identified as the killer in 1888?

Why did the murders look the way they did?

Questions like these are what I try to answer in the book, and it is therefore not a book that has any ambition at all to cover the whole field of the Ripper murders and the Thames Torso murders, deeds I hold Charles Lechmere responsible for. Being a journalist, I have tried to detract instead of adding, and to reduce the material to the bare bones as much as possible.

The outcome is a book that has peeled away many names and areas of research that are normally represented in Ripper books. On the other hand, I have added material that is normally not present. The aim has been to make as clear a case as possible for why Charles Lechmere is the man that has been sought for 132 years.

A further "why" that can be added is of course the question why I have written the book now, six years after the documentary. The answer is simple enough: I was approached by Timaios Press, a publishing house, and asked whether I would like to write a book on Lechmere for them. And I believe the timing is correct to do so now, since the question of a shared identity between the Ripper and the Thames Torso killer has been given a lot of interest and attention lately. And if there is one person who is of tremendous interest in that context, then that person is Charles Lechmere.

Cutting Point.
    Timaios Press.
    1st of February 2021.
    Here´s a link to the presentation on the site:
    https://timaiospress.com/cutting-point/
    congrats Fish! looking forward to reading it!

Comment

Yes, congratulations Christer.

I will definitely be buying it.

Comment

Although you might not think so, I wish you well with the book. I know how hard it is to get a book published.
        Thanks for your time,
        dusty miller

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
          Although you might not think so, I wish you well with the book. I know how hard it is to get a book published.
          If you want to know what I think, I am thinking that this post of yours was a gracious one. Thank you, Dusty.
          "In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
            Yes, congratulations Christer.

I will definitely be buying it.
            Then let´s hope I don´t disappoint you, Gary!

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              congrats Fish! looking forward to reading it!
              Thanks for that, Abby! The time has come to tell you why I think those limbs were sawn off in 1872 ...

Comment

Congratulations, Christer. Looking forward to reading the book.

Comment

Thanks for that, Abby! The time has come to tell you why I think those limbs were sawn off in 1872 ...
                  lol. yes been waiting for that one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                    Congratulations, Christer. Looking forward to reading the book.
                    Thank you, Debra!

Comment

As of today, Cutting Point should start surfacing on the book platforms on the net. I’ m told that Amazon and Barnes & Noble are typically quickest off the mark, but all big platforms should have it in the pipeline.
                      Is it game over for the carman? You tell me!

Comment

As of today, Cutting Point should start surfacing on the book platforms on the net. I’ m told that Amazon and Barnes & Noble are typically quickest off the mark, but all big platforms should have it in the pipeline.
                        Is it game over for the carman? You tell me!
                        We will, Fish. ;-)

I’ll look out for it.

Comment

To those - if any - who have wondered about it, Cutting Point is up now, at Barnes & Noble, where it is searchable, and at Amazon US and Germany, where it is not searchable as yet - it takes some time for all the little bits and pieces to fall into place. The links https://www.amazon.com/dp/9187611376 and https://www.amazon.de/dp/9187611376 should take you there, however. The rest of the platforms, such as Amazon UK for example, will follow over the upcoming days.

Comment

I’ve ordered it through Amazon!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                              I’ve ordered it through Amazon!
                              I hope you will enjoy it, Gary.

Comment

Working...
                              X