Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggested annotations for Hallie Rubenhold's book "The Five" (2019)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    Where does this (page 319) come from?

However, rather mysteriously for one earning a labourer’s wage, Mr Boekü began to acquire property.

Number 79 Pennington Street was likely to have been one of several similar properties in Louis Boekü’s portfolio.

There is absolutely no evidence that Boekee own any property. He was likely just a tenant of 79PS.
    I have included some comments on Louis's "portfolio" of property. I think probably Rubenhold assumed that only homeowners were entitled to vote, and inferred ownership from appearances on the electoral register. I find it a bit difficult to believe she thought home ownership was so high in the East End of London in the 1880s, but I think that's probably it.

I also know of only one Mrs Phoenix report, with minor variations.

Thanks for the other items, which I'll add to my list.

Comment

• Chris,

Do you have something on her misleading info about tbe 2Bn Scots Guards.

Gary

Comment

Chris,

Do you have something on her misleading info about tbe 2Bn Scots Guards.

Gary
        Glad Hallie probably missed this 1887 Magnet article..

Click image for larger version

Name:	HenryLove.png
Views:	82
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	592656

Comment

• Originally posted by Jurriaan Maessen View Post

Glad Hallie probably missed this 1887 Magnet article..

Click image for larger version

Name:	HenryLove.png
Views:	82
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	592656
          Btw: Baker's Court, East-Street, is not too far from the Elephant & Castle district..

Comment

• There is a chapter in the Nichols section with the heading ‘Houseless Creature’. I’ve seen a review of the book where it was assumed that was a direct quote describing Nichols. I’m not sure it was. The term was often used to describe homeless men and women. The reviewer obviously thought it was a description of Nichols, and probably thought the description of her as a ‘creature’ was misogynistic.

Comment

Btw: Baker's Court, East-Street, is not too far from the Elephant & Castle district..
              What she had to conceal at all costs is the fact that the 2Bn Scots were a few minutes walk from Pennington Street in 1886.

Comment

What she had to conceal at all costs is the fact that the 2Bn Scots were a few minutes walk from Pennington Street in 1886.
                According to Hallie:

The 2nd Scots Guards was based at Westminster Barracks during the second half of the 1880s, with periods spent abroad in Egypt, the Sudan and in Dublin.

What about the Tower, Chelsea, Pirbright…?

Hallie doesn’t want ‘Johnto’ to have been her brother, or a lower rank customer. She wants him to have been an officer, ‘with whom she maintained a correspondence when his postings took him abroad.’

Comment

According to Hallie:

The 2nd Scots Guards was based at Westminster Barracks during the second half of the 1880s, with periods spent abroad in Egypt, the Sudan and in Dublin.

What about the Tower, Chelsea, Pirbright…?

Hallie doesn’t want ‘Johnto’ to have been her brother, or a lower rank customer. She wants him to have been an officer, ‘with whom she maintained a correspondence when his postings took him abroad.’
                  Just terrible.

Comment

Just terrible.
                    His corresponding explains why Kelly received letters from her ‘brother’ in Ireland, or so Hallie suggests.

Comment

• Kelly’s contact in the Scots Guards couldn’t have been her brother, Hallie suggests, because poor rural Welsh boys wouldn’t have joined such a regiment.

Comment

Kelly’s contact in the Scots Guards couldn’t have been her brother, Hallie suggests, because poor rural Welsh boys wouldn’t have joined such a regiment.
                        Another one of Rubenhold's demonstrably erroneous arguments, which is not to say that the likelihood of Johnto not being Kelly's brother decreases as a result of her deceptions.

Comment

His corresponding explains why Kelly received letters from her ‘brother’ in Ireland, or so Hallie suggests.
                          As far as I'm aware there is not one reference to a written correspondence between Kelly and her brother(s). There's only Jack McCarthy mentioning letters written to Kelly by her mother, seconded only by the unnamed city missionary stating he "heard a great deal about the letters from her mother there" (Limerick).

Comment

• Kelly’s contact in the Scots Guards couldn’t have been her brother, Hallie suggests, because poor rural Welsh boys wouldn’t have joined such a regiment. The records suggest otherwise. Poor lads from across the British Isles enrolled in the Scots Guards.

I’m not sure how she equates Kelly’s father having had a supervisory role in an iron works with her brother being poor and from rural Wales…

Elsewhere she argues that Kelly’s family weren’t poor, otherwise she couldn’t have been a ‘scholar’ and an ‘artist of no mean degree’.

Her arguments are all over the place, and convince me she has little grasp of British history and social distinctions.

Comment

• Here is the first instalment. I have a lot more noted already, but I have tried to include the ones that seemed most important and reasonably straightforward:
                              https://jtrforums-research.org/resou...holdIndex.html

Comment

• A good start, Chris.

Re the suggestion that Boekee and Morgenstern moved into 79, PS and lived upstairs from the Millers, we should point out that the evidence suggests the Millers were elsewhere at the time:

1885 (Nov): John/Sophie Miller - Annie birth @ Manor Lane, Rotherhithe.
                                1886 (Feb): John/Sophie Miller - Annie death @ 94, Cornwall Street*.
                                1886 (May): John Miller - Charles school enrolment @18, Albert Street

Comment

Working...
                                X