No announcement yet.

Kindle Titles:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adam, the greatest point for me, is that when on public transport reading, no one can see that I am looking at true crime and murder.

Comment

I don't understand the idea of Howard selling his caption contests as an e-book. It'd never sell. Now, his column for Rip would be another matter.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Mike, you're nervous about people seeing you read about murder on the bus, yet you're in the paper every week, on TV, and giving talks about it?

Comment

Adam,

Kindle is great, but when on your laptop, don't forget that you can read the books by going to amazon, clicking 'Manage Your Kindle' under your account, and selecting the book. It comes up on your cloud reader and all your notes are there, etc. I find this very useful when I'm writing and can toggle back and forth.

Also, you can upload any issue of Ripperologist onto your kindle, or any e-zine or ebook for that matter.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom, most people in Hull expect me to be ghoulish, but when I travel through to other towns and cities people don't know me and I used to get odd looks on the train. Not so now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
            Hi Tom, most people in Hull expect me to be ghoulish, but when I travel through to other towns and cities people don't know me and I used to get odd looks on the train. Not so now.
            I don't understand why people would expect you to be ghoulish. But then maybe that's because someone like me WOULDN'T think that way. I know that it's always bothered Stephen King that people would be surprised how nice and normal he was, simply because he wrote horror fiction.

When people have questioned my motives or personality because of true crime, as though I were somehow different from them, I'd do a little test...I'd set an issue of a mundane magazine on a table at work and we'd watch to see if anyone noticed it. Nobody would. Then we'd set a Ripper book in the same place. Everyone would see it, pick it up, and flip right to the photo section. Nuff said.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I have seen that too. Once people start chatting they are always wanting to know more. The other night I met with some members from the local newspaper and talked with them at length about ghosts etc. They were really impressed and had so many questions I ended up staying with them till very late, eating a free supper, and trying to answer as many questions as possible. One of the main questions was "Do people think you weird?" To which I replied, "Only my wife."

Comment

I notice the proliferation of murder and crime in fiction books and on the TV yet it appears to be somewhat strange to study true crime?

Comment

Imagine trying to read Andrew Cook's book on the train.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                    Imagine trying to read Andrew Cook's book on the train.
                    LOL. That's hilarious. As soon as I got my copy I took the dust jacket off and set it aside.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Fair point, Mike. That's why, whenever I used to travel, i'd take a book with me that was less likely to attract attention....something of a Stephen King-ish or Matthew Reilly-ish persuasion, usually.

Speaking of which, Tom, if you've read any of his recent work, Stephen King is branching out into a lot of other areas these days. His most recent book, "Doctor Sleep", which catches up with Dan Torrance, the little boy from The Shining, in the present day, is a great book but it's not particularly horrific at all - I would describe it more as a redemption story, even an emotional one.

In any case it's just great to have something onto which you can download books straight away instead of having to wait weeks for them to arrive in the post. I feel sorry for book stores but then everyone is feeling the squeeze.

Cheers,
                      Adam.

Comment

Jack the Ripper at Last? has today gone "live" on Kindle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DZUCTN8
                        http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Working...
                        X