Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is the real reason your ripper book doesn't sell.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the real reason your ripper book doesn't sell.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ing-novel.html

That, and, oh, maybe your theory too.

Very interesting article, Tim. Though I'm troubled by the notion that computers will determine how books are written from now on. Of course, the study wasn't exactly scientific. The 'sucessful' books they chose were 'classics', which means many were probably not written recently. However, ALL of the 'unsuccessful' books they selected were clearly written recently and many were presumably self-published. What they're not averaging in is the era in which the books was released, how much and what kind (if any) promotion was behind it, and whether or not the author already had a reputation before the book came out. The Lost Symbol, had it been the first effort of an unknown author, may not even have been picked up by a publisher.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Well said, Tom.

There's been plenty of books in the past which weren't meant to be as successful as they were, and plenty which have become eminently more successful decades after the author has passed away. I don't see any rhyme or reason to it, it's just about whether the reader can engage with the work or not.

Personally I prefer Stephen King's theory (and he should know what he's talking about, given that he's probably - IMO, definitely - the greatest author of the past fifty years): "If you can't find the time to spend four to six hours per day reading or writing, then you can't expect to become a good writer."

Cheers,
      Adam.

Comment

Good post, Adam.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
        X