• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Harrison Debacle

Disgraceful....

March 1991

On Goodreads :
    Paul Harrison

Paul Harrison has spent much of his professional life working within the UK’s criminal justice system, primarily as a police officer. Working closely with the now-defunct FBI Behavioural Science Unit in Quantico, he gained a unique and remarkable insight into the minds of some of the world’s most violent criminals. His conversation portfolio reads like a Who’s Who of murderers. As an author, he’s penned thirty-three traditionally published books (mainly true crime) and completed his first novel last year. A seasoned event speaker, Paul is popular across the entire crime genre (fiction and non-fiction). He’s in discussion with several TV production companies across the globe for future Crime related television series. Paul currently lives in Leeds.

US & UK links to the story behind this sham :

https://nypost.com/2019/07/16/true-c...erial-killers/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-killers.html
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Its a fact that Harrison wrote his book about a different Joseph Barnett.
    Its also a fact that, as shown in Robin Odell's 2006, Ripperology, that he was dismissive of Ripperologists.

He's getting his now...

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I'm no fan of the Barnett theory, and it's true that Harrison identified the wrong Barnett in the census, but Joe is such a non-entity anyway, that it didn't materially affect his theory; it would have worked out the same whether it was Joe Barnett the local chap, or Joe Barnett from Outer Mongolia, but recently transplanted to the East End. (Which probably doesn't bode well for the theory!) It appears that a few wrong George Hutchinsons have creeped in, as well as wrong Mary Kellys, wrong Hyam Hyams, wrong K-something-skis, and, it now appears, wrong Mr. and Mrs. Cowdrys. Slowly, everything gets sorted. It's a reminder that revision is still possible.

A bigger issue I had with Harrison's theory is that it was psychologically naïve. The man is out killing women to scare his girlfriend off the street, etc. etc., then hangs up his hat when Kelly is done to death. Not credible. Not even remotely credible. Considering the current controversy, it is also interesting to note that Mr. H briefly discusses Sutcliffe in the book, but makes no mention of allegedly having interviewed him.

All in all, some decent photographs and a couple of interesting comments on the murders. In one of the last chapters, he gives some advise on tramping around the modern East End (circa 1991). As Ripper books go, not in the upper tier by any means, but not roasting in the lowest circle of Hell either. Not surprisingly, the arguments are similar to those in Paley's book, though, of course, it's Barnett's doppelganger rather than Joe himself. I think I found my hardbacked edition in the bummer bin for around $4, and don't have any particular buyer's remorse.

Comment

You have to smile at the idea that experience of gutting fish would be useful training for human evisceration. 😂

Comment

Paul Harrison seems to have collaborated on a couple of books with David Wilson - didn't he notice that there was something iffy about the things Harrison was claiming?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orDHqoQSgn4

Yorkshire Ripper slams ex-cop who gives £15k talks about him despite 'never meeting'

This ex-cop/thief made quite a chunk of change off the flim flam and now claims to have been sucked into this charade by his publishers.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Mind Games. Aptly named. It's strange that he thought he could get away with it--claiming to have worked for the F.B.I., etc. It didn't occur to him that there would be many people who knew he was full of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                Paul Harrison seems to have collaborated on a couple of books with David Wilson - didn't he notice that there was something iffy about the things Harrison was claiming?
                Davis Wilson seems to be used as an expert to give credibility to several TV true crime documentaries at the moment. The last ripper one with Emilia Fox where they claim to have come up with a shocking new revelation that Martha Tabram was probably a ripper victim sent him down several notches in my estimation.

Comment

Hi All,

An interesting article on Paul Harrison which has appeared recently in my local newspaper:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...isited-3108177

Rgds
                  John

Comment

Thanks Prof !
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post

...claims to have interviewed Ted Bundy, but his wife says that the first time he went to the USA was in 1999. Perhaps he's a Time Lord as well as an FBI profiler?
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                      (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Gareth:

Yeah, he seems to be a real jack of all trades. Maybe he mastered time, too.

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Somehow Im not shocked given that this sort of self promotion is becoming/is typical of

a) "profilers"

and, or more relevance perhaps,

b) those claiming to give the victims voices.

P

Comment

I'd say that's kind of embarrassing when an honest serial killer ends the career of a "true" crime writer.
                            The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                              I'd say that's kind of embarrassing when an honest serial killer ends the career of a "true" crime writer.
                              Yes, things can’t get much worse than being called a wazzock by the Yorkshire Ripper.

Comment

Working...
                              X