Mike Covell : Newspapers From Hull Vol. I & II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Covell : Newspapers From Hull Vol. I & II

Sometime down the line, Mike Covell will be releasing the two volume 'Newspapers From Hull" which any newspaper aficionado will surely love.

I've had the privilege of reading the drafts of both books ( Weighing in at a hefty 465 pages combined )...and although I'm prejudiced in that anything Mike writes or works on strikes a cord with me, I'm certain you will appreciate nonetheless.

These are, I believe, the tenative covers of each work.

Keep an eye on this thread.

I've posted the following review of Mike's excellent work on the Amazon UK site :

What you have in your hands is the finest repository of information on Robert D'Onston Stephenson ever compiled.
    As a colleague of Mike Covell's and as a Ripperologist greatly interested in the life and mystery surrounding this
    one time suspect in the Whitechapel Murders, 'From Hell From Hull' ties together the loose ends
    and smooths out the humps and the bumps one encounters when researching this interesting character.
    Mr. Covell has provided a reference source for every fact he provides and link to everything he
    covers in this mammoth study...something that had never been done before and for a time, thought to be
    an insurmountable task.
    If you are looking for a solution as to the identity of Jack The Ripper, this isn't the book for you.
    It is, however, the kindle book for you if you are interested in how a Ripper related work ought to be produced.
    Simply said, it is an example of Ripper research at its best.
    Mike covers not only the life of Roslyn D'Onston, but Stephenson family members and others who wandered
    in and out of D'Onston's life up until his death in 1916.

Howard Brown
    JTRForums.Com

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
      I've posted the following review of Mike's excellent work on the Amazon UK site :

What you have in your hands is the finest repository of information on Robert D'Onston Stephenson ever compiled.
      As a colleague of Mike Covell's and as a Ripperologist greatly interested in the life and mystery surrounding this
      one time suspect in the Whitechapel Murders, 'From Hell From Hull' ties together the loose ends
      and smooths out the humps and the bumps one encounters when researching this interesting character.
      Mr. Covell has provided a reference source for every fact he provides and link to everything he
      covers in this mammoth study...something that had never been done before and for a time, thought to be
      an insurmountable task.
      If you are looking for a solution as to the identity of Jack The Ripper, this isn't the book for you.
      It is, however, the kindle book for you if you are interested in how a Ripper related work ought to be produced.
      Simply said, it is an example of Ripper research at its best.
      Mike covers not only the life of Roslyn D'Onston, but Stephenson family members and others who wandered
      in and out of D'Onston's life up until his death in 1916.

Howard Brown
      JTRForums.Com
      So...Newspapers From Hull 1 and 2 are about D'Onston?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

The Amazon description for Newspapers from Hull Vol 1:

In 1888 Kingston upon Hull was a port not unlike London. It had visitors via rail and sea, an overstretched police force, and a group of newspapers that had offices and correspondents in London.

When the Whitechapel Murders began the Hull press, who had 24 hour to London based correspondents, began to cover the stories. Here, presented for the first time, are a series of newspaper articles covered by the Hull press in 1888. Articles from the numerous available of the period, many of which have never seen publication for 125 plus years, presented in chronological format.

Coupled with primary historical sources, official files and genealogical snippets presenting an in depth picture from the "Autumn of Terror."

Comment

Tom:

No...I posted the review in the wrong place !
          That review was removed from Amazon....it was about Mike's unpublished work which I've read....I mistakingly mixed Newspapers From Hull I with the book on D'Onston.
          Sorry about that !!

Comment

Tom:

No...I posted the review in the wrong place !
            That review was removed from Amazon....it was about Mike's unpublished work which I've read....I mistakingly mixed Newspapers From Hull I with the book on D'Onston.
            Sorry about that !!
            Thanks for pointing that out. I was going to call Mike to task for not mentioning D'Onston in the title, blurb, or anything. But it makes more sense if the books are not about D'Onston. LOL. You seem to get very excited over books about why suspects aren't or shouldn't be suspects. But we've known for many years now that D'Onston wasn't the Ripper.

Newspapers From Hull look like they might be worthwhile as, according to Mike, there are many press reports with information we have not seen in the London and American press that we're used to. The two volumes combined are over 1,000 pages.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

You seem to get very excited over books about why suspects aren't or shouldn't be suspects
              -Tom-

Excited like a duck on a fattened June bug in July, pardner !
              The D'Onston book has everything and more in it....loads of references, lots of seldom & never before seen material too.

Comment

I lost interest in D'Onston when it became clear he wasn't the Ripper. You mention a lot of references. Does Mike acknowledge the research and findings of other researchers in his D'Onston book?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Off the top of my head, Tom....Nemo, Andy Aliffe, Claudia Aliffe, and I are mentioned in credits ( D'Onston research).

Comment

Plus....going back into the book :

Adam Wood, Chris George, Jefferey Bloomfield, Chris Scott, Jon Rees, Deborah Arif, Neil Bell, Robert Clack, Philip Hutchinson, Stan Reid, Linda McAuliffe Roderick, Dan and Lynn Hollifield , David Gates, Suzi Hanney, Neil Sheldon, Robert J McLaughlin, Jeff Leahy, Alex Chisholm, Andrew Firth, Andrew Spallek, Bob Hinton, Caroline Morris, Christopher Jones, David Knott, Deborah McDonald, Richard Jones, Brian L. Porter, Paul Begg, Jenni Sheldon, and Steve Jessop.

Mike didn't put Dan and Lynn's last name in the credits....I forgot to tell him.

Comment

Who's Deborah Arif and Ariff in the leather apron book?

Comment

Well, why can't you spell your first name like all the other Debbies do?

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                          Who's Deborah Arif and Ariff in the leather apron book?
                          Hey, be grateful you got credited at all.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Plus....going back into the book :

Adam Wood, Chris George, Jefferey Bloomfield, Chris Scott, Jon Rees, Deborah Arif, Neil Bell, Robert Clack, Philip Hutchinson, Stan Reid, Linda McAuliffe Roderick, Dan and Lynn Hollifield , David Gates, Suzi Hanney, Neil Sheldon, Robert J McLaughlin, Jeff Leahy, Alex Chisholm, Andrew Firth, Andrew Spallek, Bob Hinton, Caroline Morris, Christopher Jones, David Knott, Deborah McDonald, Richard Jones, Brian L. Porter, Paul Begg, Jenni Sheldon, and Steve Jessop.

Mike didn't put Dan and Lynn's last name in the credits....I forgot to tell him.
                            I guess he doesn't discuss the Ripper letters then, or else of course he'd reference my essay...one of the few D'Onston essays out there. But I'm in good company since the three people who've published D'Onston books to date (Harris, Edwards, Dimoblablah) aren't mentioned either, nor are Richard W-E and SPE. Steve Jessop (sic Jessup) hasn't published a word on the Ripper, so I'm guessing this is an 'Acknowledgements' section and not a reference section that you've posted. In that case, I wouldn't expect to be mentioned, although had Mike reached out to ask if I had anything to contribute from my olden days as a D'Onstonite I gladly would have done what I could.

Who's Neil Sheldon?

I was just asking about the D'Onston book because I have the Leather Apron e-book and I haven't noticed any attributions of research, such as Pete Howard and Debs discovering the first ever Leather Apron press mention (an important find that rightly appears in Mike's book) or all the family history of Pizer that Chris Scott provided years ago that Mike seems to say he found. Perhaps it's just because of the screwy Kindle layout, which if so I totally understand.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                              Well, why can't you spell your first name like all the other Debbies do?
                              She is just such a 'Debbie', isn't she?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                              X