No announcement yet.

Mike Covell : Newspapers From Hull Vol. I & II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But I'm in good company since the three people who've published D'Onston books to date (Harris, Edwards) aren't mentioned either, nor are Richard W-E and SPE.

Tom...all of those folks are mentioned...and the black magic book is mentioned along with the author's name.

The 1887 article I located Under Five Flags ( Debra Arif was instrumental in my locating it....) isn't mentioned...nor is Jarrett Kobek's Crowley's Ripper

Under Five Flags : http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....ighlight=flags

Crowley's Ripper : http://kobek.com/crowleyripper.pdf
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Glad to hear it, How. Again, I was just going of the Leather Apron e-book. But there's not a thread for that one.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Speaking of Leather Apron, I hope mention was made of a possible connection to the Ripper in Lynn Cates' Issenschmid theory. I also had some musings as well, but Lynn's are better.

D'Onston would make an awful Leather Apron.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
          Speaking of Leather Apron, I hope mention was made of a possible connection to the Ripper in Lynn Cates' Issenschmid theory. I also had some musings as well, but Lynn's are better.

D'Onston would make an awful Leather Apron.
          Lynn's Isenschmid theory is brilliant. I don't think it's the answer, but it's still brilliant. Maybe I just don't want it to be the answer.

Cates' name is not mentioned in the e-book (I'd already one a word search) and under 'references an further reading' Mike includes the likes of Prince Jack...actually, he includes damn near every Ripper book ever written ( making it a very valuable list for the Ripper newbie) but he does not mention any of the very few important works on Leather Apron that have been published to date, such as the essays by Paul Begg, Simon Wood, and Lynn Cates. I would think these would be the most obvious 'further reading' for those interested in the subject of Leather Apron. I know they formed the backbone for a chunk of the research in my book, which attempts to bring the Leather Apron story up to speed in one section.

What I think will be most valuable in Mike's e-book are the articles that he's uncovered in Hull that might include stuff we haven't read before. Indeed, his 'Newspapers from Hull' might end becoming must-haves for the serious researcher. That remains to be seen as I haven't yet downloaded them or heard feedback.

Some of what I'm saying might seem like rude nitpicking, but that's not it at all. I just think the work of modern researchers, when possible, should be attributed in a work. I think I paid more attention to that in my book than I did providing contemporary sources, which was probably my major fault. But if I had to choose between the two, I think I made the right choice, because none of our works would even be possible (or at least wouldn't be near as good), without the truly great researchers out there that us lesser beings depend on.

Mike was totally screwed over by Spiro in this regard so should be more sensitive than most. I remember how pissed Howard was over that, and rightly so. Perhaps that's why I was so surprised in his Marriottish approach to attribution and spelling the names of people he talks to every day (Marriott calls me 'Westcott' in his book in spite of the fact that my last name appears TWICE in each of my zillion posts...not to mention in the e-mails I send to him where I apparently disavow Le Grand as a suspect). Hopefully it's something Mike will correct in future editions or at least in his e-books that haven't come out yet.

Moral of the story? If you're in the business of selling eggs, don't piss off the chickens.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            She is just such a 'Debbie', isn't she?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
            Yeah, a typical Debbie...a typical muggins Debbie to be precise.

regarding the Pizer research, I seem to think Chris Philips may have been the first person to post detailed research on him back in his 2007posts? That's as far back a mention as I could get in the archives using google anyway.

http://forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-1079.html

Comment

Acknowledgements from Newspapers...

Sorry folks, been out all morning and only just got this thread, The following is the acknowledgements in Newspapers From Hull, I edited so that Debra Arif has just one F. The acknowledgements in all my work comes from the people I have spoken too. I have referenced the books I had read in the reference section, which I will post shortly. As most of my research is research undertaken at the Hull History Centre, or via the British Library Newspapers, I have rarely taken information from others or had others submit me information, if that was the case they are mentioned.

First and foremost I would like to acknowledge the support of my family, who have stood by my crazy ideas and decisions and sat quietly whilst I tried to type this up! My wife Susan has been a rock and I wish to take this opportunity to thank her for her love and support, my children Bradley, Alyssa, and William, for their cuddles and smiles. My Mother and Father, for their constant support, inspiration and technical help. During the time of writing my Father passed away but his ongoing support and encouragement helped me along this path. We have seen some dark times, and hopefully this is the start of something positive. No book on Hull Newspapers would be complete without the invaluable help of all the staff at Hull Local Studies Library. Each and every question was asked and each and every need catered for. Every time the staff went above and beyond the call of duty, and for that I truly thank them. I also offer my deepest thanks to Hull City Council’s Archives Department, who again helped me in every step I took. Their hard work and dedication did not go unnoticed. At the time of writing the Hull Local History unit and the Hull City Council’s Archives have amalgamated with the Hull University Archives to form the Hull History Centre. I have had the pleasure of lecturing at the Hull History Centre on several occasions and they building, staff and crowd are always fantastic. My thanks also go to the hardworking staff at The Carnegie Heritage Centre, whose warm and knowledgeable staff make every visit one to remember. Special thanks must go to Liz Shepard and Paul Gibson of the Carnegie Heritage Action Group for their help and advice. I have had the pleasure of lecturing on the Ripper and my research at Carnegie and it is always a warm welcome and great atmosphere with a cracking cuppa! Special thanks and acknowledgements to Howard and Nina Brown of the JTR Forums, http://www.jtrforums.com/ Howard and Nina have helped shape and mould my many theories and helped provide a sound stage for my research. Not only that, but they have become close friends, and for that alone I thank them. Thank you to Stephen P Ryder of the Ripper Casebook http://www.casebook.org/intro.html, who provided me with a stage for my research and a casebook blog for my work to be presented. Stephen is a major force in the community and an inspiration to all Ripperologists. Thank you to all of the Hull Daily MailYourmail” team who provided me with an excellent site to write about my passions! Whilst the site has since gone, the feedback that my work received inspired me to work on projects such as this. It also opened up several doors and avenues of research for me, and made me many friends and contacts for life. To Alan Brigham, Michael Lake, and Nicholas Evans, all have helped shape and inspire me to continue in this work. A special thank you must go to Richard Sutherland who was working at Waterstones in Hull when I began this book. Richard helped in the early stages, and is a very knowledgeable, friendly young man. To all the Ripperologists, whom I am lucky enough to call friends, who have helped along the way, I have put you all in alphabetical order to avoid you all arguing in the forums over who I mentioned first! Alan Sharp, Ali and Lee Bevan, Brian L. Porter, Bob Hinton, Chris George, Chris Scott, Chris Jones, Colin Cobb, Dave and Sandra Yost, Debra Arif, Gareth Williams, Jon Rees, John Savage, Martin Fido, Paul Begg, Philip Hutchinson, Ricky Cobb, Robert Clark, Robert J. McLaughlin, Richard Jones, Suzi Haney, and everyone else who has taken time out to discuss my research. To all the team at Ripperologist Magazine, including Adam Wood, Chris George, Chris Scott, and Paul Begg, who have helped me with my research, offered me a platform to talk about Ripper related blogs and all things connected to Hull. Thank you!! I would also like to thank everyone at the Rippercast Podcast, especially the main man Jonathan Menges for his help and support. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the listeners who have contacted me from across the globe as far away as Australia, New Zealand, Japan, China, Canada, America and of course Kingston upon Hull. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on the social media circuit that has supported my work, with fantastic help and advice from the gang on Facebook and Twitter, and of course all those who have visited my Jack the Ripper blog.

Comment

Jack the Ripper - General Reference

American Murders of Jack the Ripper, R. Michael Gordon, Lyons Press, 2005
                Autobiography of Jack the Ripper, The, James Carnac, Bantam Press, 2012
                Beaver Book of Horror, The, Daniel Farson, Beaver Books, 2007
                Bell Tower, The, Robert Graysmith, Regnery, 1999
                By Ear and Eyes, Karyo Magellan, Longshot Publishing, 2005
                Carroty Nell – The Last Victim of Jack the Ripper, John E. Keefe, Menotomy Publishing, 2010
                Carroty Nell – The Last Victim of Jack the Ripper, John E. Keefe, Menotomy Publishing, 2012
                Complete History of Jack the Ripper, The, Philip Sugden, Robinson Publishing, 2002
                Complete Jack the Ripper, The, Donald Rumbelow, W. H. Allen, 1976
                Complete Jack the Ripper, The, Donald Rumbelow, Penguin Books, 1988
                Complete Jack the Ripper, The, Donald Rumbelow, Penguin Books, 2004
                Crimes and Times of Jack the Ripper, The, Tom Cullen, Fontana, 1973
                Crimes, Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper, Martin Fido, George Weidenfield and Nicholson Ltd,
                Crimes, Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper, Martin Fido, Orion Books, 1993
                Crimes of Jack the Ripper, The, Paul Roland, Arcturus Publishing, 2006
                Diary of Jack the Ripper, The, Shirley Harrison, Hyperion Publishing, 1993
                Diary of Jack the Ripper, The, Shirley Harrison, Blake Publishing, 1998
                Diary of Jack the Ripper, The, - Another Chapter, James Stettler, Area Nine Publishing, 2009
                Dracula Secrets, The, Jack the Ripper and the Darkest Sources of Bram Stoker, Neil R. Storey, History
                Press, 2012
                E1- A Journey Through Whitechapel and Spitalfields, John G. Bennett, Five Leaves Publishing, 2009
                Enigma of Jack the Ripper, The, John de Locksley, 1994
                Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders, Karen Trenouth, Author House, 2006
                First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs, The, Robert J. McLaughlin, Zwerghaus Books, 2005
                Fox and the Flies, The, Charles Van Onselen, Vintage, 2008
                From Hell- The Jack the Ripper Mystery, Bob Hinton, Old Bakehouse Publications, 1998
                Identity of Jack the Ripper, The, Donald McCormick, Arrow Books, 1970
                Illustrated Guide to Jack the Ripper, An, Peter Fisher, P. and D. Riley, 1996
                In the Footsteps of the Whitechapel Murders, John F. Plimmer, The Book Guild, 1998
                Jack the Ripper, Andrew Cook, Amberley, 2009
                Jack the Ripper, Daniel Farson, Sphere, 1973
                Jack the Ripper, John Mcllwain, Pitkin Guides, Jarrold Publishing
                Jack the Ripper, Mark Whitehead and Miriam Rivett, Pocket Essentials, 2001
                Jack the Ripper, Mark Whitehead and Miriam Rivett, Pocket Essentials, 2006
                Jack the Ripper, Susan McNicoll, Altitude Publishing, 2005
                Jack the Ripper- A Bibliography and Review of the Literature, Andrew Kelly, Association of Assistant
                Librarians, 1973
                Jack the Ripper- A Bibliography and Review of the Literature, Andrew Kelly, Association of Assistant
                Librarians, 1984
                Librarians, 1994
                Librarians, 1995
                Jack the Ripper- A to Z, Paul Begg, Martin Fido, and Keith Skinner, Headline Book Publishing, 1991
                Jack the Ripper- A to Z, Paul Begg, Martin Fido, and Keith Skinner, Headline Book Publishing, 1992
                Jack the Ripper- A to Z, Paul Begg, Martin Fido, and Keith Skinner, Headline Book Publishing, 1994
                Jack the Ripper- A to Z, Paul Begg, Martin Fido, and Keith Skinner, Headline Book Publishing, 1996
                Jack the Ripper- A to Z, Paul Begg, Martin Fido, and Keith Skinner, John Blake, 2010
                Jack the Ripper- American Hero, Jacob Corbett, Amazon, 2012
                Jack the Ripper- An Encyclopaedia, John J. Eddleston, Metro Publishing, 2002
                Jack the Ripper- An Encyclopaedia, John J. Eddleston, Metro Publishing, 2010
                Jack the Ripper- Anatomy of a Myth, William Beadle, Wat Tyler Books, 1995
                Jack the Ripper- And Black Magic, Spiro Dimolianis, McFarland, 2011
                Jack the Ripper- And the East End, Alex Werner, Chatto and Windus, 2008
                Jack the Ripper- And the Irish Press, Alan Sharp, Ashfield Press, 2005
                Jack the Ripper- And the London Press, Lewis Perry Curtis, Yale University, 2001
                Jack the Ripper- Black Magic Rituals, Ivor Edwards, John Blake Publishing, 2003
                Jack the Ripper- Casebook, Richard Jones, Andre Deutsch, 2008
                Jack the Ripper- Crime Archive, Val Horsler, National Archives, 2007
                Jack the Ripper- End of a Legend, Calum Reuben Knight, Athena Press, 2005
                Jack the Ripper- His Life and Crimes in Popular Entertainment, Gary Colville and Patrick Lucanio,
                McFarland, 2009
                Jack the Ripper- Infamous Serial Killer, Filiquarian Publications, 2008
                Jack the Ripper- In Fact and Fiction, Robin Odell, Mandrake Publishing, 2009
                Jack the Ripper- Letters from Hell, Stewart P. Evans and Keith Skinner, Sutton Publishing, 2004
                Jack the Ripper- Light Hearted Friend, Richard Wallace, Gemini Press, 1997
                Jack the Ripper- Location Photographs, The, Philip Hutchinson, Amberley Publishing, 2009
                Jack the Ripper- Media, Culture, History, Alexandra Warwick and Martin Willis, Manchester University
                Press, 2007
                Jack the Ripper- One Hundred Years of Mystery, Peter Underwood, Blandford Press, 1987
                Jack the Ripper- Opposing Viewpoints, Katie Colby-Newton, Greenhaven, 1990
                Jack the Ripper- Quest for a Killer, M. J. Trow, Wharncliffe True Crime, 2009
                Jack the Ripper- Revealed and Revisited, John Wilding, Express Newspapers, 2006
                Jack the Ripper- Scotland Yard Investigates, Stewart P. Evans and Donald Rumbelow, Sutton Publishing,
                Jack the Ripper- Summing up and Verdict, Colin Wilson and Robin Odell, Corgi Books, 1992
                Jack the Ripper- The 21st Century Investigation, Trevor Marriott, John Blake Publishing, 2005
                Jack the Ripper- The 21st Century Investigation, Trevor Marriott, John Blake Publishing, 2007
                Jack the Ripper- The American Connection, Shirley Harrison, Blake Publishing, 2003
                Jack the Ripper- The Bloody Truth, Melvin Harris, Columbus Books, 1987
                Jack the Ripper- The Celebrity Suspects, Mike Holgate, History Press, 2008
                Jack the Ripper- The Definitive History, Paul Begg, Pearson Education Limited, 2004
                Jack the Ripper- The Facts, Paul Begg, Robson Books, 2006
                Jack the Ripper- The Final Chapter, Paul H. Feldman, Virgin Books, 2002
                Jack the Ripper- The Final Chapter, Paul H. Feldman, Virgin Books, 2007
                Jack the Ripper- The Final Solution, Stephen Knight, Harrap, 1976
                Jack the Ripper- The Final Solution, Stephen Knight, Panther, 1981
                Jack the Ripper- The Final Solution, Stephen Knight, Harper Collins, 1994
                Jack the Ripper- The Hand of a Woman, John Morris, Seren Books, 2012
                Jack the Ripper- The Murders and the Movies, Denis Meikle, Reynolds and Hearn Ltd, 2002
                Jack the Ripper- The Mystery Solved, Paul Harrison, Robert Hale, 1993
                Jack the Ripper- The Satanic Team, Karen Trenouth, Author House, 2007
                Jack the Ripper- The Simple Truth, Bruce Paley, Headline Publishing, 1996
                Jack the Ripper- The Uncensored Facts, Paul Begg, Robson Books, 1989
                Jack the Ripper, The Whitechapel Murderer, Terry Lynch, Wordsworth Editions, 2008
                Jack the Ripper- Unmasked, William Beadle, John Blake Publishing, 2009
                Jack the Ripper- Unveiled, John de Locksley, 1994
                Jack the Ripper- Walk, The, Paul Garner, Louis London Walks, 2002
                Jack the Ripper- Whitechapel Murders, The, Kevin O’Donnell, Andy and Sue Parlour, Ten Bells
                Publishing, 1997
                Jimmy Kelly’s Year of the Ripper Murders, 1888, John Morrison, 1983
                Last Victim, The, Anne E. Graham and Carol Emmas, Headline Publishing, 1998
                Lodger- Arrest and Escape of Jack the Ripper, The, Stewart P. Evans and Paul Gainey, Century Publishing,
                London of Jack the Ripper Then and Now, The, Robert Clack and Philip Hutchinson, Breedon Books, 2007
                London of Jack the Ripper Then and Now, The, 2nd Edition, Robert Clack and Philip Hutchinson, Breedon
                Books, 2009
                Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper, The, Maxim Jakubowski and Nathan Braund, Constable and Robinson,
                Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper, The, Maxim Jakubowski and Nathan Braund, Castle Books, 2005
                Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper, The, Maxim Jakubowski and Nathan Braund, Constable and Robinson,
                Man that Hunted Jack the Ripper, The, Nicholas Connell and Stewart P. Evans, Amberley, 2009
                Many Faces of Jack the Ripper, The, M. J. Trow, Summersdale Publishing, 1997
                Murder and Madness- The Secret Life of Jack the Ripper, David Abrahamsen M.D., F.A.C.Pn., Avon
                Books, 1993
                Mystery of Jack the Ripper, The, Leonard Matters, Arrow Books, 1964
                News from Whitechapel, The, Alexander Chisholm, Christopher Michael DiGrazia, Dave Yost, McFarland
                And Co, 2002
                Portrait of a Serial Killer-Jack the Ripper-Case Closed, Patricia Cornwell, Little Brown, 2002
                Portrait of a Serial Killer-Jack the Ripper-Case Closed, Patricia Cornwell, Time Warner, 2003
                Prince Jack- The True Story of Jack the Ripper, Frank Spiering, Jove Books, 1980
                Public Reactions to Jack the Ripper, Stephen P. Ryder (Ed) Inklings Press, 2006
                Ramble with Jack the Ripper, A, John de Locksley, 1996
                Ripper and the Royals, The, Melvyn Fairclough, Duckbacks, 2002
                Ripper Code, The, Thomas Toughill, Sutton Publishing, 2008
                Ripper File, The, Elwyn Jones and John Lloyd, Futura Publications, 1975
                Ripper File, The, Melvin Harris, W. H. Allen and Co., 1989
                Ripper in Ramsgate, The, Christopher Scott, Michaels Bookshop, 2008
                Ripper Legacy, The, Martin Howells and Keith Skinner, Sphere Books Ltd, 1988
                Ripper Suspect, D. J. Leighton, Sutton Publishing, 2006
                Ripperology, Paul Begg (Ed) Barnes and Noble, 2007
                Ripperology, Robin Odell, Kent State University Press, 2006
                Saucy Jack- The Elusive Ripper, Paul Woods and Gavin Baddeley, Ian Allan Publishing, 2009
                Sickert and the Ripper Crimes, Jean Overton Fuller, Mandrake Publishing, 2003
                Search For Jack the Ripper- A Psychic Investigation, Pamela Ball, Midpoint Press, 2006
                Secret of Prisoner 1167- Was this man Jack the Ripper?, James Tully, Robinson Publishing, 1998
                The Harlot Killer- The story of Jack the Ripper in Fact and Fiction, Alan Barnard, Dodd Mead, 1953
                The Man who would be Jack – The Hunt for the real Ripper, David Bullock, Robson Press, 2012
                The Prince, His Tutor, and the Ripper, Deborah McDonald, McFarland and Company Inc. 2007
                The Trial of Jack the Ripper, Euan Macpherson, Mainstream Publishing, 2005
                Thames Torso Murders, The, M. J. Trow, Wharncliffe Books, 2011
                Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook, The, Stewart P. Evans and Keith Skinner, Robinson Publishing, 2001
                Uncle Jack, Tony Williams and Humphrey Price, Orion Books, 2006
                Uncovering Jack the Rippers London, Richard Jones, New Holland, 2007
                Victims of Jack the Ripper, The, Neal Stubbings Sheldon, Inklings Press, 2007
                Whitechapel Murders Solved, The, John Plimmer, House of Stratus, 2003
                Who was Jack the Ripper? Winston Forbes-Jones, Pipeline Promotions, 1988
                Will the Real jack the Ripper, Arthur Douglas, Countryside Publications, 1979

Jack the Ripper – Press Associated

Illustrated Police News, Steve Jones, Wicked Publications, 2002
                Jack the Ripper, Andrew Cook
                Jack the Ripper and the London Press, L. Perry Curtis, Jnr, Yale University, 2001
                London Correspondence: Jack the Ripper and the Irish Press, Alan Sharp, Ashfield Press, 2005
                News From Whitechapel-Jack the Ripper in the Daily Telegraph, Alexander Chisholm, Christopher Michael DiGrazia, and Dave Yost, McFarland and Company Inc, Publishers, 2002
                Public Reactions to Jack the Ripper, Stephen P. Ryder, Inklings Press, 2006
                Ripper Notes-How the Newspapers Covered the Jack the Ripper Murders, Issue 21, Edited by Dan Norder, Inklings Press, January 2005

Hull History

Architecture of the Victorian era of Kingston upon Hull 1830-1914, Highgate Press, Ian N Goldthorpe, 2005.
                Aspects of Hull, David Goodman, (Ed,) Wharncliffe Books,
                Aspects of the Yorkshire Coast, Alan Whitworth, (Ed,) Wharncliffe Books,
                Aspects of the Yorkshire Coast 2, Alan Whitworth, (Ed,) Wharncliffe Books, 2000
                Atkinson’s Trade Directory of Hull 1888
                The Book of Hull, John Markham, Barracuda Books Limited, 1989
                Breath of Sculcoates, A, Hull and District Local History Research Group, Heitage Lottery Fund, Developing our Communities, 2007
                East Riding Chapels and Meeting Houses, East Yorkshire Local History Society, David Neave and Susan Neave, 1990
                Forgotten Hull Kingston Press, Graham Wilkinson
                Forgotten Hull 2, Kingston Press, Graham Wilkinson, 2000
                Fourth Estate in Hull - The Life and Times of the Daily Press, The, Geoffrey Boland, Hull Local Studies, 2005
                Georgian Hull, Ivan and Elisabeth Hall, William Sessions Ltd, 1978
                Historical Atlas of East Yorkshire, An, Susan Neave and Stephen Ellis, (Ed,) University of Hull Press, 1996
                History of the Yorkshire Coast Fishing Industry 1780-1914, Roy Robinson, Hull University Press, 1987
                History of Seed Crushing in Great Britain, Harold W. Brace, Land Books, 1960
                Hull and Scarborough Railway, C. T. Goode, Burstwick Publicity Services, 2000
                Hull Schools in Victorian Times, Pete Railton, 1995
                Illustrated History of Hulls Railways, Irwell Press, M Nicholson and W.B.Yeadon, 1993
                Images of Victorian Hull - F.S. Smith’s drawings of the Old Town, Text by Caroline Aldridge, Hutton Press, 1989
                Innes Heritage Collection of Hull, The, Michael Thompson, Hutton Press, 1994
                Kelly’s Trade Directory of Hull 1889
                Lost Churches and Chapels of Hull, Hutton Press, David Neave, 1991
                Lost Pubs of Hull, Kingston Press, Paul Gibson and Graham Wilkinson, 1999
                Lost Railways of Holderness, the Hull-Hornsea lines, the Hull-Withernsea lines, Hutton Press, Peter Price, 1989
                More Illustrated History of Hulls Railways, Challenger Publications, W.B.Yeadon, 1995
                Old and New Hull, T. Tindall Willdridge, M. C. Peck and Son, 1884
                Railways of Hull, C. T. Goode, Burstwick Publicity Services, 1992
                Sculcoates- Ancient and Modern, Christine Gould and David Knappett, Oriel Printing Company, 1991

Maps

Jack the Ripper, Whitechapel Map 1888, Geoff Cooper and Gordon Punter, 2003
                Whitechapel, Spitalfields and the Bank 1873, Alan Godfrey Maps, 2006
                Whitechapel, Spitalfields and the Bank 1894, Alan Godfrey Maps, 2006
                Highbury and Islington 1871, Alan Godfrey Maps, 2006
                Highbury and Islington 1894, Alan Godfrey Maps, 2006
                Highbury and Islington 1914, Alan Godfrey Maps, 2006
                Upper Holloway 1869, Alan Godfrey Maps, 1999
                Upper Holloway 1894, Alan Godfrey Maps, 2005
                Upper Holloway 1914, Alan Godfrey Maps, 1997
                Hull Old Town1853, Alan Godfrey Maps, 1988
                Hull Railway Dock and Paragon Stn 1853, Alan Godfrey Maps, 2008
                Hull Alexandra Dock 1908, Alan Godfrey Maps, 2007
                Hull Hessle Road1928, Alan Godfrey Maps, 1987
                Hull East 1908, Alan Godfrey Maps, 2007
                Hull East 1928, Alan Godfrey Maps, 1987
                Hull North East 1980, Alan Godfrey Maps, 2007
                Hull West 1908, Alan Godfrey Maps, 2006
                Hull West 1928, Alan Godfrey Maps, 1987
                I also consulted numerous maps held on file at Hull Local Studies Library.

Miscellaneous Files

CQB436 Michaelmas Quarter Sessions 1900
                CQB437 Epiphany Quarter Sessions 1901
                CQN/1 Calendar of Prisoners 1893-1904
                CDPM/2/6 Minute Book January – April 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                  The following is the acknowledgements in Newspapers From Hull, I edited so that Debra Arif has just one F. The acknowledgements in all my work comes from the people I have spoken too. I have referenced the books I had read in the reference section, which I will post shortly. As most of my research is research undertaken at the Hull History Centre, or via the British Library Newspapers, I have rarely taken information from others or had others submit me information, if that was the case they are mentioned.

Thanks for correcting that particular spelling ,Mike.

Just a quick comment on this as I'm not wanting to get involved in any sort of fight, but I agree totally with what Neal Shelden was getting at the other day. Shouldn't we all just try and acknowledge and reference specifically the work of previous researchers who have covered the exact same subjects that we might also be researching and writing about? If we are aware of it, or if details details can be easily found. Referencing others' work and research correctly is one of the first things taught at uni so there is importance placed on this in all areas.

Comment

The references for the Hull Newspaper's stuff is solely based on local research, the material on Stephenson and Deeming is much larger, at last count the Stephenson references where close to 27 pages long and cover everyone who has ever written anything about Stephenson. The same with Deeming.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                      Yeah, a typical Debbie...a typical muggins Debbie to be precise.

regarding the Pizer research, I seem to think Chris Philips may have been the first person to post detailed research on him back in his 2007posts? That's as far back a mention as I could get in the archives using google anyway.

http://forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-1079.html
                      Yes, you're correct. Chris Phillips and Chris Scott have provided us all the background material on Pizer. Perhaps Mike has uncovered even more. I recall looking at some of those old posts when I was researching LA.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                      X