No announcement yet.

The Real Mary Kelly - Wynne Weston-Davies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How: In an old book from those times, maybe Jack London's book, a barmaid said most bar maids turned to drink. The reason was they worked such long hours, going to bed early in the morning and going back to work a few hours later. I figured it at about 5 hours sleep. She said she began to take a shot of brandy to wake up and get going and that many others did the same. Then they drank a bit all day to keep going.

Concerning the middle class comment, I had once observed that the C-5 victims were all once middle class women and someone who knows more than me said they were not middle class but working class and there was a difference. My reasoning was based on American ideas that people in small business or with a trade were middle class. Apparently this was not the same in Victorian England.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• The only one of the C5 who was possibly middle class is Annie Chapman. This is indicated by her wedding photograph, not by the way she and her husband were dressed but by the fact that there is a wedding photograph at all. Such an expensive luxury would have been out of the reach of most working class people in 1869 when she married. She took to drink after the death of her daughter and took up prostitution to fund her drinking. Mary Ann Nichols had worked as a servant as had Liz Stride. Katharine Eddowes went hop picking, very hard work for very little money and Mary Jane Kelly was married to a collier so they were all with the possible exception of Annie Chapman working class.

Comment

• Philip: I wonder if that marriage picture could have been a wedding gift from Annie's husband's employer? Perhaps the employer personally knew a photographer or something.

Comment

• Annie Chapman's husband was a coachman. Her father was a private in the army, then a servant. No hint of a middle class background.
          Photographers often lent clothes to their sitters.

Comment

• EWD as MJK despite the fluff

The Welsh newspaper article from 1908, covering the funeral of one of Elizabeth's sisters, seem to show Elizabeth was either dead or disowned by her family at that time as she isn't mentioned.
            It would be good to hear from WWD about which death certificates he has actually checked out in order to determine if EWD possibly died before or after 1888. Pat highlighted one from 1886 but there are others that are possibles also.

Comment

• Griffith and Matilda (P 65) :

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ionary&f=false

Comment

• I have a book about missionaries in India that is about these people and others. I'll try to find it sometime.

Comment

• I found an interesting mention of the name "Weston" in a clipping discussing the Regents-Park Murder in 1888 of Joseph Rumbold, printer's machinist.

Some may be familiar with the name, Francis Cole, but in a different light than a possible ripper victim. This Francis Cole (a male) was attacked by a gang of boys (Fitzroy-place lads) and sought revenge on them with his own gang. I am posting the portion of this account that mentions the name "Weston". If interested, I will post the rest.

The part that strikes me is the fact Louisa Chapman was known as "Lizzie" and this boy asked if she was Weston. Lizzie Weston? I believe Chapman was about 18 yrs old or so, so probably nothing to this but worth a look in case the Weston she knew was Elizabeth Weston-Davies.

Echo London Middlesex June 4, 1888

Comment

• Nice find, Jerry.....
                    To Join JTR Forums :
                    Contact [email protected]

Comment

• Nice idea, Jerry, but Find My Past gives 32 female Westons aged 20-60 in Kensington alone.

Comment

• I agree with Robert but on the other hand we have circumstantial information that there might be a "Lizzie Weston" in the area, known to unsavoury people. Doesn't mean much. Could be Elizabeth Weston, Louisa Weston, EWD, or a completely made up name. It's always worthwhile to peruse names connected to various characters. It's the little crumbs that sometimes lead to bigger things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                          It's the little crumbs that sometimes lead to bigger things.
                          I can't agree more, Anna. Thanks!

Comment

• Has anyone thus far seen or posted a copy of either EWD's birth certificate or marriage certificate. What was the name and occupation of her father shown on the latter?

Comment

• Dear Mystery:
                              That's a good question....for some reason I think it has been, either here or on Casebook.
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

• Mystery:

I haven't come up with one for you, yet.

Does anyone know if there is an available facsimilie of EWD's birth certificate or marriage certificate around ?
                                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                                X