The Real Mary Kelly - Wynne Weston-Davies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mystery Singer View Post
    Has anyone thus far seen or posted a copy of either EWD's birth certificate or marriage certificate. What was the name and occupation of her father shown on the latter?
    I don't think an image of either has been posted, MS.
    In the book WWD says Elizabeth gave her father's name as Edward on her marriage certificate but forgot to mention the fact he was 'deceased'. I can't see an occupation for him as given on the certificate, mentioned in the book.

Comment

• OK thanks.

Comment

• Has this been posted before? Probably just co-incidence.

Elizabeth Weston Davis
        Illinois Marriages
        Name James Evetts
        Spouse's Name Elizabeth Weston Davis
        Event Date 08 Nov 1896
        Event Place Chicago, Cook, Illinois

Comment

Has this been posted before? Probably just co-incidence.

Elizabeth Weston Davis
          Illinois Marriages
          Name James Evetts
          Spouse's Name Elizabeth Weston Davis
          Event Date 08 Nov 1896
          Event Place Chicago, Cook, Illinois

Paul Begg mentioned this to me. I checked her age and the woman involved in the marriage was age 23 (in 1896) b ca 1873.

Comment

• OK thanks Debs.

Comment

OK thanks Debs.
              No worries MS. It's good someone is looking for EWD in later records.

Comment

• When all this about EWD came up I looked in vain for a paragraph I had read, I think in a Welsh paper. I finally found the basics written over two paragraphs in the 'Galveston Daily News', 11 Nov., 1888. It eerily fits with Dr. Davies information.

"This poor woman was in service a short time ago, but since she came to reside in the street had been recognized by the neighbors..." to be eking out a living by immoral means.

She was a, "tall woman with dark complexion, not bad looking," and she was known for wearing a black velvet jacket.

"She was a married woman who fell into dissolute ways and was deserted by her husband," says a later paragraph.

When I first read this it was one paragraph. In service, deserted by husband for dissolution, and the bottom of the paragraph was information attributed to Mrs. Phoenix/Felix. I have no idea where this information originated. It was never to my knowledge directly attributed to Mrs. Felix. Since I can't find my original source, I will guess it was initially printed on the tenth of November. British papers of the time didn't seem to publish on Sunday but US papers did. Nov. 11 was a Sunday. (Was there a law about not publishing on Sunday in England?)
                The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• In case it's of interest to anyone - I emailed the Ministry of Justice in August to ask about the reports that they had indicated they would grant an exhumation licence.

I've finally received this reply:
                  "The Ministry of Justice has not granted a licence or indicated that it will do so."

Comment

• Thanks for that, Chris.

Blimey!

Comment

• From what had been said, I thought it sounded likely that they'd told him they would consider granting a licence if he fulfilled certain conditions, not that they would grant one.

Comment

• 'Or indicated that it will do so'.

In other words the claims that Mark Kells may be exhumed were almost entirely baseless and we're just part of newspaper-book-selling hype.
                        What a surprise.

There were plenty of Sunday newspapers in England.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post

In other words the claims that Mark Kells may be exhumed were almost entirely baseless
                          WWD said (back when Paul and I interviewed him) that the Discovery Channel was interested in entering negotiations on his behalf as they had stalled. I think saying talk of exhumation was "almost entirely baseless" is a little strong.

JM

Comment

• On the podcast from 74.30 on, WWD talks of provisional permission conditional on relatives of nearby grave occupants being alerted and proof that a DNA company is willing to do the analysis. He also says that he didn't deal with the M of J directly :

http://www.casebook.org/podcast/listen.html?id=110

Comment

• Correction : he did deal directly with the M of J but not the cemetery.

Comment

• WWD made a stray comment that was commented upon at the time. As I took it, successful book sales and public interest would help push the permission for exhumation. It could have been a publicist's plan to push the book. I didn't get that feeling from listening to WWD but anything is possible.
                                The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Working...
                                X