No announcement yet.

The Real Mary Kelly - Wynne Weston-Davies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes Gary and he says that the objection of a grave owner nearby might make the exhumation difficult or impossible, also that if several bodies are found they might all need to be analysed which would make things very expensive - though there is a chance that the coffin lid might help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      Yes Gary and he says that the objection of a grave owner nearby might make the exhumation difficult or impossible, also that if several bodies are found they might all need to be analysed which would make things very expensive - though there is a chance that the coffin lid might help.
      So he implies (says) that permission has been given but there are few practical obstacles that may prevent his going ahead with the exhumation. The implication being that the MoJ were convinced by his evidence that a member of his family had been buried as MJK.

Comment

• https://youtu.be/_8mduTEvnU0

Comment

• Hi Gary

It's more a question of the M of J believing that he has put forward a plausible case which is worth investigating via exhumation.

I'm sure that when the police ask for a suspected murder victim's grave to be opened, the M of J (or whatever authority makes the decision) doesn't say 'yeah, you'll find poison in the body proving that he was murdered, so open the grave up' and the police reply 'no need to, because you've just agreed with us.' It's simply a question of presenting a case for opening a grave in order to then see if there's proof.

Comment

• The link is to the application form for an exhumation in England and Wales.

It says a decision is usually made within 20 days. WWD said he waited 6 months for a decision.

I would imagine a request to exhume a body from a common grave over 100 years old is quite rare.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...on-licence.pdf

Comment

• Yes I think if it was just some unrelated Ripperologist who was prepared to spend money out of sheer curiosity, they'd have said no. But he had the blood link to EWD and he persuaded them that there was a reasonable chance that EWD was MJK.

Comment

• What I never understood is that there was a metal plate on MJK's coffin. I would also assume there may have been metal handles on the coffin. With modern ground penetrating radar techniques, why wouldn't this have been a first step to try to locate the right grave, at least as near as possible? As far as I know the situation was at an all or nothing point. There would be permission for exhumation, at which time effort would be made to locate the actual grave, or there would be no exhumation allowed.

I also had the idea that exhumation would depend on public interest, perhaps translated pressure. I don't understand the British legal system but my instinct is that public pressure wouldn't get very far in a case like this.
                The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Hi Anna

Even if they got some kind of metal detector reading, there might be other coffin plates and handles down there, and in other graves too.

I don't think the public pressure idea was in order to actually get permission for the exhumation - over here, our governments don't even listen to us on grand matters of policy, so they won't care two hoots what we think about this.

Comment

• And if it was someone other than Kelly in millers court then Wynne could be right and then prove himself 'wrong' with dna
                    You can lead a horse to water....

Comment

• Robert: That's kind of what I thought. I have no idea what it would take in this country to get an exhumation order. To my knowledge we don't "reclaim" burial spots so it might be harder here. I really didn't think Britain would allow an exhumation.

The only reason I could see to accomplish such a thing would be if life and death DNA results were needed, you know, to help a living person now who is ill. But I think 1888 is too far back to be of much use other than curiosity.
                      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Originally posted by Packers Stem View Post
                        And if it was someone other than Kelly in millers court then Wynne could be right and then prove himself 'wrong' with dna
                        I have just read the book and, I agree with Packers.
                        One thing that would worry me is the description of the 'hazel' eyes that Walter Dew said in his memoirs. I know folks aren't too interested in Dew's memoirs because of his age and the spent years leading up to his memoirs but.........

Comment

• Mrs Mcleod.

Hi Forgive if this has already been seen.
                          I found this Mr and Mrs James and Caroline Mcleod living in Tottenham in 1891 census Mr Mcleod is a Baker and also comes from Scotland like Henry Mcbain. Maybe thats how Elizabeth met Henry and not in a brothel?
                          I cant get the picture to load up after trying to adjust, perhaps someone can do it?

The address is 6 Hastings Hill Haringay Rd Tottenham.
                          Pat...

Comment

• Here you go, Pat.
                            Great work as always.

Comment

• Address in 1886

JamesMcleod (Baker) and Caroline Dawson (spinster) married on 12th Septemer 1886 and were living at 15 Hawthorn Street Islington.
                              Looks like they stayed together at least till 1911, when they lived at 78 Reighton Rd, Clapton.

Thanks Debra
                              Pat...

Comment

• Thank you Pat and Debs....

Comment

Working...
                                X