No announcement yet.

The Real Mary Kelly - Wynne Weston-Davies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert had a Welsh wife named Elizabeth in 1891.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
      Robert had a Welsh wife named Elizabeth in 1891.
      I wonder if it could be the same woman he married in 1906.
      Originally Robert Twocock married Elizabeth Mary Peterson, daur of George Banfield Peterson who were a London family. It looks like this Elizabeth nee Peterson, mother of child Robert Twocock born 1n 1878, died in 1883.

In 1881 there is an Elizebath Davis born abt 1860 in Wales occupation Housekeeper and living at Midsomer Norton, Somerset.

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
        I wonder if it could be the same woman he married in 1906.
        Originally Robert Twocock married Elizabeth Mary Peterson, daur of George Banfield Peterson who were a London family. It looks like this Elizabeth nee Peterson, mother of child Robert Twocock born 1n 1878, died in 1883.

In 1881 there is an Elizebath Davis born abt 1860 in Wales occupation Housekeeper and living at Midsomer Norton, Somerset.
        Ah, that was my first thought, but I discounted it when I noticed Robert was a widower in 1906.

Comment

Ah, that was my first thought, but I discounted it when I noticed Robert was a widower in 1906.
          But he would have been a widower if his wife died in 1883. I wondered if he may just be co-habiting with the new Elizabeth in 1891 and then eventually married her in 1906.
          IF this is Elizabeth Weston Davis as Pat suggests, then perhaps it was Elizabeth who wasn't free to marry as she was still married to Craig, the divorce papers weren't served on her because they couldn't locate her IIRC?

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
            But he would have been a widower if his wife died in 1883. I wondered if he may just be co-habiting with the new Elizabeth in 1891 and then eventually married her in 1906.
            IF this is Elizabeth Weston Davis as Pat suggests, then perhaps it was Elizabeth who wasn't free to marry as she was still married to Craig, the divorce papers weren't served on her because they couldn't locate her IIRC?
            Yes, Debs, I was wrong to discount it. If I had checked for the first wife's death, I would have thought the same as you. Good point about the Craig divorce.

Comment

Yes, Debs, I was wrong to discount it. If I had checked for the first wife's death, I would have thought the same as you. Good point about the Craig divorce.

Craig didn't die until 1903 and if this was Elizabeth Weston Davis maybe she waited until she eventually heard of his death.

Comment

• Looks like Elizabeth died in Sept qtr 1920 in Shoreditch.

(Robert Twocock London, England, Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, 1698-1930) Robert Entered infirmary 1/08/21 removed 22/08/22

Pat....

Comment

• I have Dr. Weston-Davies' book. He wrote there and also here on the forum, that his relative told a son that Elizabeth had been a party girl and she had come to a terrible end. Of course I paraphrased that. Anyway, the point is she had a horrible end, whatever that was. IMO there are other possibilities beyond death at the hands of JtR or death at all.

The implication is that she was MJK and that that terrible end drove her brother to drink and a lost career.

I don't have an informed opinion about the certificate here but thought it worthwhile to refresh the proposed Elizabeth Weston-Davies information. I find the book very worthwhile though I believe the family story can stand on its own without making a connection to JtR. Without JtR it is hardly a book length story.
                  The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Has he got a copy of her marriage certificate to Francis Spurzheim Craig in his book Anna, as we have her first name on her marriage to John Twocock? Bit of a distance between them but one never knows. I think the witnesses at her wedding in 1906, Robert and Annie Jones, might be connected. I am sure I found that her sister Hannah married a Jones (I could be wrong though as Jones and Davies are so common there) It could be that the family thought she was doing well with Craig and took sides when he tried to divorce her. He did rather blacken her name (I think he got a lot wrong about Harry McBain and the McClouds. Mr McCloud was a baker like Harry and also from Scorland....Its more likely they were work friends....
                    Pat.... .

Comment

• Originally posted by Pat Marshall View Post
                      Has he got a copy of her marriage certificate to Francis Spurzheim Craig in his book Anna, as we have her first name on her marriage to John Twocock? Bit of a distance between them but one never knows. I think the witnesses at her wedding in 1906, Robert and Annie Jones, might be connected. I am sure I found that her sister Hannah married a Jones (I could be wrong though as Jones and Davies are so common there) It could be that the family thought she was doing well with Craig and took sides when he tried to divorce her. He did rather blacken her name (I think he got a lot wrong about Harry McBain and the McClouds. Mr McCloud was a baker like Harry and also from Scorland....Its more likely they were work friends....
                      Pat.... .
                      I was just discussing the exact same thing about signature comparison with someone.
                      I checked the book just now and there is no marriage certificate reproduced, just a mention that it was at Brook Green Register Office Fullham on Dec 24th 1884

Comment

• It would be interesting to see who the witnesses were and was she a widow or whatever, maybe I will order it when I get paid....Pat.,....

Comment

• Originally posted by Pat Marshall View Post
                          It would be interesting to see who the witnesses were and was she a widow or whatever, maybe I will order it when I get paid....Pat.,....

There are details spread around the marriage chapter in the book, that she married as Elizabeth Weston Jones, a widow, aged 26. Witnesses were E and L Warren and she gave her father's name as Edward but didn't say he was deceased. That she falsely gave her name as Elizabeth Weston Jones and claimed she was a widow is in the divorce papers.

Comment

• In 1911 living at 17 Spring Garden Place is Annie Jones, a 16 year old tailoress born in Whitechapel. Head of the family is Elizabeth Jones, 39, married tailoress born SGE. There are two different families listed at #13 but neither is named Twocok or Davies

Comment

• In 1901 at 28 Walter St Ratcliff is Edward A Davis aged 25 an electrical engineer b Mile End. His wife is Julia b Depford. Listed next door but one at 17 Spring Garden Place are the same Annie and Elizabeth Jones that were listed there in 1911, plus head of the family William Jones.

Comment

• Hi, Pat. I am sorry I am slow to answer but I have had the headache from hell.

The marriage license is not in the book. The divorce petition is or was available online via a records office.

To refresh, "Elizabeth and Francis were married at Brook Green registrar office on Christmas Eve 1884," p.51.

"In 2011 a bundle of old documents tied with pink tape surfaced at The National Archives," p. 52. These contained the divorce petition.

"Married at the Office of the Registrar of Marriages, Brook Green Hammersmith in the County of Middlesex," p. 52. Elizabeth Weston Davies Spinster had described herself as Elizabeth Weston Jones Widow for the actual marriage and it is assumed Craig wrote in "falsely", adding a carat mark. p.52

Another comment is that they married by "special license" but I think this is just a manner of speaking as it is tied in with Craig's parents disapproving of Elizabeth and explaining that the parents were very busy near Christmas of 1884 so that Francis was able to slip away and get married. Of course I can't help but wonder if "special license" refers to a Christmas Eve ceremony but this is not specified and it probably makes no difference.

John Davies, the Johnto of the story, shortly before dying, told his own son John that Elizabeth had been an, "upmarket London prostitute and that she had come to a bad end," p. 194 As this is written it sounds like this story was not shared until 50 years after 1888.
                                The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Working...
                                X