Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Five: The Lives of Jack the Ripper's Women (Rubenhold, February 2019)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Five: The Lives of Jack the Ripper's Women (Rubenhold, February 2019)

Pre-order price guarantee......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Lives-...1_106&sr=1-106

Miscast in the media for nearly 130 years, the victims of Jack the Ripper finally get their full stories told in this eye-opening and chilling reminder that life for middle-class women in Victorian London could be full of social pitfalls and peril.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

The author in an unrelated video ( short piece )

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...llie+rubenhold
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I don't think Paul will mind me sharing this comment....particularly the part about Ms. Rubenhold & her pending book.....

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Another comment attributed to her :

Not all of the five victims worked as prostitutes and none of them came from the East End.

Anyway, all the women prostituted themselves at one time or the other.

https://thehistorymasterclass.com/ev...ppers-victims/
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Is she saying that the victims were middle-class?

Comment

I don't know Bob. Maybe she believes Eddowes was singing doo-wop in Mitre Square that night or whatever....I dunno.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

All I know is that she is repeatedly saying she has evidence that they weren't all prostitutes. Unfortunately, they were or had been prostitutes, as going to a quiet place with their murderer presumably shows, so I can only suppose that Hallie is re-defining 'prostitute', perhaps arguing that two of the victims were only casual prostitutes, willing to have sex for money only when times were tough.

Hallie is giving at least two talks on the subject, one in April (a history masterclass where the cost per ticket is about £80) and the other later in the year at Hanbury Hall in Hanbury Street where the cost per ticket is £25. I don't have further details to hand. Somebody who is rich might go in April and let us know what Hallie says. Otherwise, book a seat at the event later in the year.

Comment

According to Amazon the book is scheduled for release on 19/2/2019.

http://www.hallierubenhold.com/categ...ck-the-ripper/

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                  According to Amazon the book is scheduled for release on 19/2/2019.

http://www.hallierubenhold.com/categ...ck-the-ripper/
                  It's a long time to wait but will be interesting to see what evidence supports the claim that only two of the five were prostitutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Williams View Post
                    It's a long time to wait but will be interesting to see what evidence supports the claim that only two of the five were prostitutes.
                    I think, as someone mentioned earlier, she may be making a distinction between 'casual' and full-time prostitution. In which case MJK is presumably one of the two, but who's the other, I wonder?

I believe Hallie is a member of the Forums, so perhaps we'll have the opportunity to discuss her findings with her at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                      Is she saying that the victims were middle-class?
                      I'm curious about the reference to Queen Victoria's wedding. That was in 1840, I wonder what relevance it has to any of the C5.

Comment

I don't know, any more than I know where she gets the fee-paying schools from :

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/j...ubleday-324724

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                          I'm curious about the reference to Queen Victoria's wedding. That was in 1840, I wonder what relevance it has to any of the C5.
                          I think this is probably to do with Annie Chapman's father being a trooper in the 2nd Life Guards during that time.
                          The family were also living at Knightsbridge when some of Annie's siblings were baptised. Annie's own daughters were also baptised in that same church at Ennismore Gardens Knightsbridge.

Comment

I believe Hallie is a member of the Forums, so perhaps we'll have the opportunity to discuss her findings with her at some point.
                            -Gary-

No she isn't Gary.
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                              -Gary-

No she isn't Gary.
                              I thought she might be the Forums member Hallie McGrath? The forename is somewhat unusual and according to Wiki Ms Rubenhold is married to a barrister named McGrath. Judging by her small number of posts, Hallie McGrath's particular interest is the lives of the C5... 2+2=5?

Comment

Working...
                              X