Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Five: The Lives of Jack the Ripper's Women (Rubenhold, February 2019)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
    Of course Trevor is serving a purpose. He is the token male chauvinist she is allowing to spar with her. That cuts down the clutter and his remark about lawn mowing guarantees his place. (I thought that was funny. For some reason I had never seen it before.)

Sometimes if a book or production has little substance, controversy and outrage can spur the public to buy. It´s a little like religion; you take sides, identify with and defend your side.

I wonder how fast her book will end up at the discounters?
    Yes, the anxiety is that for some reason HR sees Trevor as an easy antagonist and is having fun making him look silly in her eyes and the eyes of her chums.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
      Yes, the anxiety is that for some reason HR sees Trevor as an easy antagonist and is having fun making him look silly in her eyes and the eyes of her chums.
      True. Controversy sells books and Trevor can be the sideshow. There is quite a bit of difference between books written to impart knowledge and those written at least in part for notoriety.

Trevor with all his real life activities is an excellent target.

The best thing to be done, IMO, would be to delete all interactions and henceforth ignore the new book. The best public outcome over time is, ¨HR, who?¨ and, ¨what book?¨
      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• A question

A question.

Is HR blocked or banned from this site?

If yes, it answers my next point. If not..

If HR is genuinely of the belief that her theory(theories) are so solid, and if, she is as confident in her ability to argue the case for her book, then I'm sure we would all like to ask her a few questions that need answering.

However. I make the comparison with Russel Edwards, who did (and is doing) his level best to avoid direct confrontation, knowing full well that facts against totally demerit the theory (theories).

I also believe that without the feminist back up on twitter, she would remain as silent as possible.

Phil
        from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

A related problem is the one where it is trotted out that ripperologists wont accept theory x because its against their commercial interest. Its probably about as valid in the main as the cry wanking tweed jacket trope thats also used.

The problem is that the most visible ripperologist on twitterr has his own twitter account. Where a tweet on the latest theory states, with much hyperbole, that it simply isnt true! And is then followed up by a list of where he is appearing to talk, which ones are sold out and buy your tickets now to get the full story. And where to buy his books.

Thereby confirming the two worst stereotypes of ripperology in one fell swoop, on a twitter account that rabid feminists ARE visiting.

Its a one man wrecking ball PR disaster!

P

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
            A question.

Is HR blocked or banned from this site?

If yes, it answers my next point. If not..

If HR is genuinely of the belief that her theory(theories) are so solid, and if, she is as confident in her ability to argue the case for her book, then I'm sure we would all like to ask her a few questions that need answering.

However. I make the comparison with Russel Edwards, who did (and is doing) his level best to avoid direct confrontation, knowing full well that facts against totally demerit the theory (theories).

I also belueve that without the feminist back up on twitter, she would remain as silent as possible.

Phil

Phil,

How is obviously best placed to give a definitive answer, but to the best of my knowledge Hallie (McGrath) is a member of the forums.

Gary

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
              Phil,

How is obviously best placed to give a definitive answer, but to the best of my knowledge Hallie (McGrath) is a member of the forums.

Gary
              Thank you kindly, Gary.

Phil
              from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

Years ago it became fashionable for young adults to´discover repressed memories´ of horrendous childhood sexual abuse. Then the legislatures said such adults could file charges and sue and the courts would back them up because there was a political agenda at the time to enable the state to have more control over parents.

A thirty-something female, mentally ill drug addict found some repressed memories of childhood rape and decided to blackmail or charge one of my family members. After the first phone call I told my relative to go to an attorney immediately.

The attorney said it was a simple thing to handle. If and when the woman called again, just tell her, ¨We are not interested.¨ That is all, no other conversation. I respected the lawyer but thought that would be terrible advice.

Nevertheless we were all terrified and I happened to pick up the woman´s next--and last--call. She started off like a machine gun, detailing her ¨memories¨. When she stopped to draw breath I said, ¨We are not interested.¨

She said, ¨You don´t understand...like I was saying...¨

I used her name and said, ¨______, we are not interested. Good-bye.¨

I have done a lot of charity work and many times we had to deal with people who were not mentally well. Several times I have used this ¨not interested¨ line and it always works like a charm. It defuses most anything.

My point is, if folks who have publicly entered the book controversy decided to delete previous comments and substitute, ¨I/we am/are not interested,¨ it would pour ice water on the brush fire that some hope will become a conflagration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Poster View Post
                  A related problem is the one where it is trotted out that ripperologists wont accept theory x because its against their commercial interest. Its probably about as valid in the main as the cry wanking tweed jacket trope thats also used.

The problem is that the most visible ripperologist on twitterr has his own twitter account. Where a tweet on the latest theory states, with much hyperbole, that it simply isnt true! And is then followed up by a list of where he is appearing to talk, which ones are sold out and buy your tickets now to get the full story. And where to buy his books.

Thereby confirming the two worst stereotypes of ripperology in one fell swoop, on a twitter account that rabid feminists ARE visiting.

Its a one man wrecking ball PR disaster!

P

No it seems to be one man standing up for the truth against HR who has misled the feminists who now support her, and who fails to acknowledge the misleading facts in her book.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                    No it seems to be one man standing up for the truth against HR who has misled the feminists who now support her, and who fails to acknowledge the misleading facts in her book.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                    Trevor: You have my respect for taking a stand and staying with it. You are the one making sense in the whole mess. Maybe the others will learn something.

(That may seem opposed to other things I have said here about not engaging but my reasoning on that is a different matter.)

Comment

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                      I appreciate your stand Trevor. I really do - feminists and Rubenhold-thralls on a free-for-all (except for ripperologists apparently) twitter thread are not a bunch I would be confortable facing down at all so kudos for that.

You have to admit though..from the outside you clearly tick every box (unwittingly no doubt) on the list of characteristics that the stereotypical ripperologist they hate so much apparently posesses.

P

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Poster View Post
                        I appreciate your stand Trevor. I really do - feminists and Rubenhold-thralls on a free-for-all (except for ripperologists apparently) twitter thread are not a bunch I would be confortable facing down at all so kudos for that.

You have to admit though..from the outside you clearly tick every box (unwittingly no doubt) on the list of characteristics that the stereotypical ripperologist they hate so much apparently posesses.

P

I dont admit that, I could be anyone simply trying to put right a wrong, and perhaps they dont see me as a ripperolgist simply an author. Anyway I am going to sit and wait now. I would suggest that when the next misleading ripper doc airs on April 4th the wires will become red hot, not only on here but on social media.

Its been 24 hours now since the last of her followers chose to engage with me on twitter, perhaps they all have now read her book and realize that she is mistaken after all.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Its been 24 hours now since the last of her followers chose to engage with me on twitter, perhaps they all have now read her book and realize that she is mistaken after all.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                          We can but hope Trevor. We can but hope.....

P

Comment

• I'm curious about how this works. When people pop on to HR's thread to praise her book and then plug their own books.....do they have their own threads which HR pops on to, to praise their books and then plug her own? Or is there just one book-plugging thread?

Comment

• Oh how wonderful it is to be married to a librarian - my wife got the book ordered a month ago and it arrived on Wednesday. It's now sat on our book pile, ready to go.

I did buy a copy of 'The Ripper File' Barlow & Watt book, just to balance things out a bit, and that's arrived now, too!

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Hood View Post
                                Oh how wonderful it is to be married to a librarian - my wife got the book ordered a month ago and it arrived on Wednesday. It's now sat on our book pile, ready to go.

I did buy a copy of 'The Ripper File' Barlow & Watt book, just to balance things out a bit, and that's arrived now, too!
                                Hope you enjoy them both!

Comment

Working...
                                X