Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Was Jack The Ripper ? (H Division, 2019)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
    I've only just noticed this thread.

To unmask the elusive Mr Stride perhaps the curious or agitated should attend that event at Happy Days Fish and Chip emporium and cop for a portion!

As for my humble chapter - it was written some time ago. So long ago indeed that Gary seems to have forgotten that I sent it to him for his perusal.

Here is his true assessment of my chapter (which I cut and pasted )...

I have to say, that's a very neat little summary of the case against Lechmere.
    I stand by that. Did I not question the Maywood statement at the time?

He was dodgy, but I don’t see much evidence of him having much in the way of criminal contacts beyond those he mixed with in Breezers Hill.

Comment

Looks as tho some stuff in this may be a bit less than original.....My sympathies to any whose hard work is condemned by association...You deserve better

Comment

I believe I took cognisance of your useful comments.
        I haven't seen the book yet so I can't exactly comment on the contents of my chapter - although I could probably find my submission somewhere.

Maywood had wider criminal connections than the Breezers Hill crowd though - he was connected to horse thieves from Gants Hill way as well. In think one was from Lambourne End.

I was given a number of words to stick to, and I overshot by about 100%. But I like to leave my audience wanting more.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
          I believe I took cognisance of your useful comments.
          I haven't seen the book yet so I can't exactly comment on the contents of my chapter - although I could probably find my submission somewhere.

Maywood had wider criminal connections than the Breezers Hill crowd though - he was connected to horse thieves from Gants Hill way as well. In think one was from Lambourne End.

I was given a number of words to stick to, and I overshot by about 100%. But I like to leave my audience wanting more.
          Was he? Remind me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
            Was he? Remind me.
            Are you referring to William Boxhall, who had some involvement in the Cambridge Cattle fraud? He came from Lambourne End way, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by JMenges
              Don’t worry, Jon, your discovery is not going to be parked in Doveton Street.

Comment

Yes Gary... i was going to say livestock as I couldn't remember if it was horses or cattle.
                I believe his farm or barn burnt down as well and you speculated that it was insurance fraud.

I'm typing in a semi recumbent position on an Underground Train, about to actually go underground, so I do not have all the relevant factoids at my fingertips.
                But I am satisfied as to Maywood's general criminality.

Regarding plagiarism - a few years back I did a Ripper tour booklet which was closely copied by someone else, which annoyed me at the time.
                There is a degree to which copying or using your work is - in a way - a complement.
                Without having seen this suspect book I am unable to work out what proportion is allegedly plagiarised.

A few years ago, I had problems with people who liked to copy the picture of Charles Lechmere which was used on the Missing Evidence documentary.
                I sold the production company the image and the proceeds were donated to the Stairway to Heaven charity, which was set up to create a permanent memorial to the victims of the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster - a terrible and tragic event which happened during the Second World War.
                I also sold the image to two German sources (a magazine and a general German language Ripper book), and donated the money to the same charity - so I was keen to protect the image from unauthorised use.
                Arguably I had legal copyright as I'd amended the image from the original and possibly a Lechmere family member still had copyright on the original (depending on who took the picture).
                But I regarded it more as a matter of 'gentlemanly' or decent behaviour.
                When I was in the Whitechapel Society I put on a number of events where the proceeds went to the same charity.
                I know others in the 'field' have been concerned about protecting images.
                It is understandable and stealing other people's pictures is I guess a form of plagiarism.
                Often it happens unintentionally as some images get copied and copied and copied.
                But one would hope - even expect - that if the circumstances were explained to a 'fellow Ripperologist' then they might be respectful of the use of any said image.
                In my experience only one person behaved in an ungentlemanly manner with respect to the Charles Lechmere image as the person didn't like me discussing Lechmere on another forum and put it up as a form of revenge!

I guess we all have our bad experiences in this field!

Comment

Originally posted by JMenges
                  I'd be very interested in hearing how the text from such a widely known work such as CSI Whitechapel published in 2012, can suddenly end up in a chapter of a book published in 2019?

Let's not beat about the bush here, this is plagiarism, theft of other people's work.

Do John Bennett and Paul Begg know about this? And what about their publisher?

Andrew

Comment

Ed,

I think the Maywoods were unfortunate enough to suffer at least 7 fires in their various properties.

I wasn’t aware you had copyright on the Lechmere photo, you aren’t credited with it in the book. There is a difference, though, between sharing a photo that appears, unattributed, on Ancestry family trees etc and and cutting and pasting chunks of text written by prominent authors in the field.

Gary

Comment

I believe the photo that Eddy is referring to was taken by someone photographing their television set while it was being broadcast worldwide, and used in the context of a discussion of said broadcast, which would constitute fair use.

But nevertheless I’ve not accused anyone of doing anything. I’ve just posted images and am leaving others to judge what’s going on with this book, or divert the thread, or change the subject. Whatever they prefer.

JM

Comment

I'd also like to know how the 2012 material from Begg/Bennett got into Rick's book.
                        To Join JTR Forums :
                        Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by JMenges View Post
                          I believe the photo that Eddy is referring to was taken by someone photographing their television set while it was being broadcast worldwide, and used in the context of a discussion of said broadcast, which would constitute fair use.

But nevertheless I’ve not accused anyone of doing anything. I’ve just posted images and am leaving others to judge what’s going on with this book, or divert the thread, or change the subject. Whatever they prefer.

JM
                          Jon,

Who has diverted the thread so far?

Gary

Comment

Hi Gary,

Ed’s attempting to change the subject.

JM

Comment

I thought it was rather pertinent.
                              There is an old expression.
                              Those in glass houses shouldn't chuck stones around the place.

Gary i had no idea the picture is on ancestry - but as I said after a while these pictures seem to become fair game. The point I was making was that one might expect people 'in the field' to be more respectful of other peoples 'stuff', whether it be text or images.

Comment

Originally posted by JMenges View Post
                                Hi Gary,

Ed’s attempting to change the subject.

JM
                                Not really. He’s addressing my comment about his description of Maywood as it appears in the book (the subject of the thread) and adding his personal experiences of ‘plagiarism’ in the field - the issue you raised.

Although the mystery man Keith Stride may only be contactable in a chippy in Wentworth Street, I think Richard C. Cobb is a member of the forums (?) and can hopefully provide some insight into how content from other authors’ work wound up in this book.

Comment

Working...
                                X