The Diary - Essential Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Diary - Essential Books

Which books about the Diary do you fine people consider essential?

I only know what there is in the Michael Winner film and bits and bobs gleaned from the various Rippercast episodes where it's mentioned. After hearing the last four RC releases, I rather feel the need to read up on it more to get the full picture.

I'll say off the bat that I assume 'They All Love Jack' is as far from essential as it can get!

"The True History of the Diary of Jack the Ripper" by Robert Smith. Mango Books, reprint due 31st July 2019.

Includes a full colour photographic facsimile of the Diary's pages, which is invaluable in and of itself.

http://www.mangobooks.co.uk/book.php?b=25
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
    (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

This one is essential:
      Ripper Diary: The Inside Story by Seth Linder, Caroline Morris and Keith Skinner.

JM

Comment

You cant discuss the diary without Feldmans so thats essential too.

So pretty much thats all if them?

Comment

Yes, both of those are essential, and for a bit of background, Shirley Harrison's "The diary of Jack the Ripper". The most recent edition is best. It's a very well written account, although rather out of date concerning the provenance matters.

Robert Smith has a new updated edition of his book coming out this month.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Poster View Post
            You cant discuss the diary without Feldmans so thats essential too.

So pretty much thats all if them?

Yes that too, but read the other stuff first. I started with Feldman all those years ago and it's not recommended to do it that way around believe me!

Comment

To get an appreciation of the probable "true" picture or at least to form a rounded picture of one's own, you have to sample both extremes.

In which case...a rabidly pro, in depth, relatively obsessive book like Feldmans is just as essential as a tempered, non-obsessive or neutral account such as Caz's.

If you dont read both ends of the spectrum....then you are coming away with a skewed version.

Of all the books....I like Shirleys the least as she is just a bit too accepting of some things.

And say what you want about Feldman....he was dedicated.

P

Comment

The Maybrick A-Z by Chris Jones is another one.

Comment

The Hoax of the Jack the Ripper Diary by Steve Powell

Whether the book actually exists, I cannot say. It's a bit like another Australian classic, The East End Murderer--I Knew Him by Drewett, Druitt, or Drewery.

Comment

New Article

For anyone interested in all things Maybrick and the Diary you may know that the poster Iconoclast posted his article Societies Pillar over on Casbook.org. I’m unsure if it’s been posted on here?

David Orsam has just posted a lengthy response on his website along with an article on the subject of One Off Instance.

https://www.orsam.co.uk/pillarofsand.htm

https://www.orsam.co.uk/oneoffarticle.htm
                    Regards

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
                      The Hoax of the Jack the Ripper Diary by Steve Powell

Whether the book actually exists, I cannot say. It's a bit like another Australian classic, The East End Murderer--I Knew Him by Drewett, Druitt, or Drewery.
                      It exists. It's called Fame or Infamy and was published by Blurb in 2010. I wouldn't recommend it. It claims that the diary was conceived by Anne Graham in Australia and that the hoax was managed by Paul Feldman. No supporting evidence is provided.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                        It exists. It's called Fame or Infamy and was published by Blurb in 2010. I wouldn't recommend it. It claims that the diary was conceived by Anne Graham in Australia and that the hoax was managed by Paul Feldman. No supporting evidence is provided.
                        I know it's a load of tripe, but has anyone actually seen it?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Butler View Post
                          I know it's a load of tripe, but has anyone actually seen it?
                          I believe I own a copy. Unfortunately, I can't access my books at the moment because they are still in boxes following a house move, so I can't make absolutely certain I didn't dream it. I do, however, recall reading it and noting some nonsense therein about people who assisted Feldy (who someone identified as being Keith, Martin, and me - which, if true, means nobody should pay attention to a word I say, just like my dog).

Comment

https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...fame-or-infamy

A fairly extensive discussion.

Comment

Thanks Paul. I remember the casebook discussions back in the day. Their story kept changing as I recall, and was clearly inspired by some things about Anne mentioned in Feldman's book.

Comment

Working...
                              X