Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Escape Of Jack The Ripper ( Hainsworth & Agius, 2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Butler View Post
    Did you get an advance copy Paul? Amazon still says March 15th.

Sorry, Paul. I completely missed your post. Yes, I received an advance review copy. It's a tough book to review too. There's an awful lot of 'we thing', 'we believe', and so on, but the authors are trying to piece together a ton of disparate information. The whole mixture isn't helped by the authors' theory that Macnaghten and Sims were running a campaign to obscure the truth.

Comment

Review from Katherine Ramsland.....she gives the book significant praise.

Ripper Suspects Never Die

Comment

The mailman finally figured out where I live, and he delivered the book to me yesterday. This weekend I will begin reading the chapters.

Congratulations to both Jonathan and Christine. They devoted a lot of time and research into this work. It must be a good feeling to see your final product become available to the public.

I already took a look at the photo gallery section in the middle of the book. Very nicely done. Both Stewart and Christine's daughter Sarah contributed nicely to these picture pages. It was well presented. That previously unpublished photograph of Druitt with his collegiate friends is probably the kingpin of them all.

Comment

It's a fiver off on UK Amazon right now. I just bought the kindle edition and will be starting it tonight. Really looking forward to it. The last one was good.

Comment

Yes, I see it on Amazon.ca. It's $26.21 for the Kindle, I've had nothing but grief after buying Kindle, then loosing the book after some meltdown.
            The hardback (304 pgs) is .... $77.99, holy smokes!

I'm going to have to figure out a way of downloading a Kindle onto several hard drives to avoid the usual catastrophe.
            The hard back price is a shocker.
            Regards, Jon S.
            "
            The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
            " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
            Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

Comment

It's a fraction of that on Amazon UK. Kindle books automatically go to the Amazon cloud storage, I've got dozens on there. I've never had a problem retrieving them thankfully.

Comment

Thanks Paul, that must be a recent feature.
                I had five Ripper books from Kindle, I notice the 5th is up there in the Cloud, the previous four are not.
                So long as it's automatic that'll solve my problem.
                Regards, Jon S.
                "
                The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
                " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".

Comment

That's great Jon. I hope you enjoy it. I'm starting it later tonight. I never could understand the huge price differences between the different country's Amazons. I often find the Italian site to be cheaper, and if I order a CD from there it gets posted from a depot in Scotland!

Comment

I've completed the book. I found Chapters 12 & 13 particularly alluring.

The Paris, France news report dated Dec 24, 1888 should be looked into further. It concerned an English patient who was previously admitted into an expensive and highly select French asylum. The Paris report is a new discovery from what I understand.

Comment

• This is the article that Jonathan referred to and that R.J. Palmer informed him about in chapter 12

Philadelphia Times
                      January 13, 1889

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                        This is the article that Jonathan referred to and that R.J. Palmer informed him about in chapter 12

Philadelphia Times
                        January 13, 1889

Thanks. That's an interesting report, but in view of the dates I can't see how the patient could be Druitt. Is it suggested the details were altered as a diversionary tactic, or something like that?

Comment

• If I've understood correctly, the barrister is described first as a cousin, but then as a friend. The barrister also said that the patient had no nearer relative.

Presumably, unless the patient died, the bills would have continued to be paid, else the patient would have been out on his ear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                            If I've understood correctly, the barrister is described first as a cousin, but then as a friend. The barrister also said that the patient had no nearer relative.
                            Something like that was also claimed at the inquest by William, if you recall.

If we take the press report at face value, we might assume a few misleading statements have been made to the reporter, as was often the case when some 'well-to-do' people are placed in a vulnerable position.
                            Regards, Jon S.
                            "

Comment

• I just finished the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I now have to read it all again to see what I missed the first time round. There is a lot to take in. It's a very well researched book, and the theory of the contemporary belief that Druitt was Jack is only strengthened by the book.

Comment

• Just days after Druitt’s body was fished from the River Thames, the Derby Mercury, 2nd January 1889, published a story not dissimilar to that later published by the Philadelphia Times—

“The Dublin Express London correspondent says: The inactivity of the terrible criminal who so far with impunity has committed at least eight atrocities has led to sundry theories on the part of the authorities. One of these theories, and, perhaps, the most remarkable, has come under my notice, and it is quite the latest, as to the Whitechapel crimes. Stated nakedly, the idea of those who have been so patiently watching for the murderer is that he has fallen under the strong suspicion of his near relatives, who, to avert a terrible family disgrace, may have placed him out of harm’s way in safe-keeping. As showing that there is a certain amount of credence attached to this theory, detectives have recently visited all the registered private lunatic asylums, and made full inquiries as to inmates recently admitted. It is needless to say that the various county asylums—particularly those in the neighbourhood of London—have been similarly visited.”

Comment

Working...
                                X