The Final Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chris,

SK must have known the story was horse-feathers. His deliberate misuse of the known facts about Annie Crook was too blatant for it to have been a case of misinterpretation.

Funnily enough, though, I still take my hat off to him. I recently re-read the book, and while I can now clearly see all the holes and unlikelihoods in its general premise there are some magic moments. Turning Jubela, Jubelo and Jubelum into the GSG's Juwes was a stroke of pure genius. And thirty something years later there is still no definitive proof whether it was ever true or not. That's very ballsy.

I don't think he's any different to Donald McCormick, William Le Queux or Terence Robertson in what he did. Not to put too fine a point on it, they were all charlatans. But where SK differs is the scale on which he did it, one that earned him legendary status, sadly posthumous. Who vividly remembers the first three? I had to look up TR [I'd never heard of him] and also swat up on WLQ's contribution. I really only remember DM because some years ago I wrote a piece for the old duffer's "Connoisseur's Guide to Spy Fiction".

I had to chuckle at the SK jacket photograph which makes him look like a bearded schoolboy. When I met him he had the sort of clothes and grooming that only vast amounts of money can buy.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Stephen Knight

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
      Dear Mr E:
      Thanks for the scans...you have a permanent job here if you want as my scannin' isn't top shelf...but my captions are...thats for Mrs. E.
      Anyway....over the years and considering that you didn't know Mr. Knight personally....do you get a sense that he may have deluded himself, in light of the scan you provided of his rationalization of Joseph Sickert's confession?
      Thanks again for the scans.
      Thanks How.

In amassing my huge collection of Ripper material I have also acquired many personal letters of Ripper authors of the past. Some, as the writers are still alive, I may never be able to quote.

I have several original letters written by Stephen Knight and my very dear friend Richard Whittington-Egan was very close to him and liked him a lot, despite not agreeing with his theory.

I get the impression that Stephen was, obviously, amazed by the success of his book and happy to rake in the proceeds (wouldn't we all be?).

In this sense I believe that he was quite mercenary and would simply ignore anything that threatened the validity of his theory, much as Simon has described. I have quite a lot of material on this and will post some if anyone is interested.

When the movie based on his theory came out in the 1970s Stephen threatened legal action for breach of copyright. The company conceded and made an out of court settlement.

Comment

Let me ask you Simon, since you are of the time ( and of this time of course ) when McCormick & Farson as well as Cullen were in high gear in the field.

When you mentioned charalatan...I know that you refer to the distortions and in McCormick's case, some imaginary conversations his characters had in the 1959, "Identity of JTR". Not to forget the prevarications.

I was just wondering if you feel that since the gentlemen who did mythologize certain areas of the Case in general did so out of a flaw in their character....or perhaps, their passion for the case and a desire that others become as interested as they themselves may have been which their fabrications might encourage one to do...or because they had no idea that the field of Ripperology would be as it is today in terms of scope and interest and " could get away with it"...or a combination of all three or even more?

Imagine experienced Ripperologists such as Mr. B or SPE saying..." In April of 1888, D'Onston was admitted to the London Hospital".

Within ten seconds they would have 10 people pointing out that innocuous mistake....on a message board.

Not so back in the Creative Ripperology days,as C.G. referred to them as. Distortions and concepts could escape scrutiny for many years without them being corrected.

I'm rambling...so I'll stop. Whats your take,Simon?
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

My choice for easiest question ever to answer in the affirmative:

"In this sense I believe that he was quite mercenary and would simply ignore anything that threatened the validity of his theory, much as Simon has described. I have quite a lot of material on this and will post some if anyone is interested.-SPE

Please do !!
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I almost forgot !!

Thanks very much to Stephen Thomas for the cover repro of Knight's book. Believe it or not,I had never seen the hardback cover.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I echo Howard's plea to have SPE's Knight material made available, and at the same time I bow to Simon Wood's judgment on the matter. It was a distinct pleasure having Simon discuss the Royal Conspiracy, and his 1987 Bloodhound article, on the podcast.

JM

Comment

and his 1987 Bloodhound article,..-JM

Uh, its his 1887 Bloodhound article,isn't it JM ?
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

JM:

Indeed,it was a very good podcast this past week. A significant part of the Case covered very nicely ( Impossible to cover in 1 1/2 hours completely ) for newcomers and experienced alike...and diehard dummies like meself.
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Agreed - an outstanding amount of detail was provided on the podcast regarding the theories and people involved

Excellent production

Comment

Humour

Here is an extract from a letter written by Stephen Knight in August 1976, it gives an idea of his sense of humour -

Comment

Simon

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                        Don also introduced me to Stephen Knight. Despite having read my research he didn't back off one inch, firmly maintaining that he was right and I was wrong. There was little point in arguing, so we shook hands and declared a draw. He was a very sociable chap.
                        I never got the feeling that he had deluded himself. But I did get the feeling he realised the jig was up.
                        Simon
                        Simon, Stephen Knight made a couple of comments about your work in 1976. If you are agreeable I can post them.

Comment

Evening News

Stephen Knight's work was serialised in the Evening News in June 1976. It's amazing to think that Knight was three years younger than me, and in 1976 I was driving a police patrol car around Bury St Edmunds and my hobby was researching the US 8th AAF in WWII. Jack the Ripper was a secondary interest. It was the same year that I met Jimmy Stewart who was a B-24 bomber pilot over here during the war.

Comment

Start

The start of the Evening News serialisation -

Comment

Hi Stewart,

Wow! How great to see the 1976 Evening News, which is how I first read about the Final Solution. Thanks.

Yes, by all means post any of SK's comments about my research.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Fantasists

The series really brought the fantasists out of the woodwork, here's Nigel Morland's contribution -

Comment

Working...
                                X