• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripper Legends

Ripper legends in their own lifetime -

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
      Hi Stewart,
      Wow! How great to see the 1976 Evening News, which is how I first read about the Final Solution. Thanks.
      Yes, by all means post any of SK's comments about my research.
      Regards,
      Simon
      Extracts from a Stephen Knight letter of 29 November 1976 -

Comment

Hi Stewart,

"How to out-nasty a nasty". What a strange turn of phrase.

Is it polite to ask who he was writing to?

Nigel Morland was an old rogue. When I bought his magazine/booklet "Current Crime" to turn into "Bloodhound" I received a file of his private correspondence.

There was nothing of burning interest. The bulk of the letters were from crime writers he had solicited for donations to keep Current Crime alive.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Odd

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          Hi Stewart,
          "How to out-nasty a nasty". What a strange turn of phrase.
          Is it polite to ask who he was writing to?
          Nigel Morland was an old rogue. When I bought his magazine/booklet "Current Crime" to turn into "Bloodhound" I received a file of his private correspondence.
          There was nothing of burning interest. The bulk of the letters were from crime writers he had solicited for donations to keep Current Crime alive.
          Regards,
          Simon
          Hi Simon, yes, an odd turn of phrase and difficult to understand. I am unable to reveal anything more about the letter and I am sure that no criticism should have been levelled at your great work at that time. It's this sort of insight into Ripperology that fleshes out its characters and which, in my opinion, should not be lost.

Comment

Hi Stewart,

I appreciate and respect your discretion in the matter of these letters.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
              Let me ask you Simon, since you are of the time ( and of this time of course ) when McCormick & Farson as well as Cullen were in high gear in the field.

When you mentioned charalatan...I know that you refer to the distortions and in McCormick's case, some imaginary conversations his characters had in the 1959, "Identity of JTR". Not to forget the prevarications.

I was just wondering if you feel that since the gentlemen who did mythologize certain areas of the Case in general did so out of a flaw in their character....or perhaps, their passion for the case and a desire that others become as interested as they themselves may have been which their fabrications might encourage one to do...or because they had no idea that the field of Ripperology would be as it is today in terms of scope and interest and " could get away with it"...or a combination of all three or even more?

Imagine experienced Ripperologists such as Mr. B or SPE saying..." In April of 1888, D'Onston was admitted to the London Hospital".

Within ten seconds they would have 10 people pointing out that innocuous mistake....on a message board.

Not so back in the Creative Ripperology days,as C.G. referred to them as. Distortions and concepts could escape scrutiny for many years without them being corrected.

I'm rambling...so I'll stop. Whats your take,Simon?
              Hi Howard

The point is that back then, the writers did not have the materials we have today. They could not simply go to the National Archives and look at the available records. They couldn't pick up the Ultimate by Stewart P. Evans and Keith Skinner and study the transcribed records, accompanied by valuable commentary by two informed researchers. They did not have additionally such guides as Begg, Skinner, and Fido's Jack the Ripper A to Z or Edleston's encyclopedia on the case, essential works such as Don Rumbelow and Paul Begg's books and Philip Sugden's excellent Jack the Ripper: The Complete History. They couldn't go to Stephen Ryder's website "Casebook: Jack the Ripper" and read the dissertations, the transcribed press reports, and the forum discussions. Yes it's true: when someone makes a misstatement today, people are on them like a tonload of bricks, precisely because of all these valuable resources.

So perhaps we should be a bit lenient on the authors who over the last eighty years, since Leonard Matters' book The Mystery of Jack the Ripper came out in 1929, made things up as they went along, as Matters apparently did with Dr. Stanley and Le Queux did with Pedachenko and so on down to Terence Robertson invention of "Fairy Fay" and Stephen Knight with the whole Royal Conspiracy rigamarole. It was all fiction, but you know "It sounded good" and it sold books and newspapers.

Chris
              Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
              https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
              Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Hi all- Joined this thread late- but I must agree that The Final Solution when first read made a remarkable impression on me at the time way back then.
                Following this with great interest- superb cuttings etc Stewart-Thank you- That last pic of Joseph and Stephen amusingly looks as if Joseph has lent Stephen his teeth for the photograph!

Great stuff on what undeniably must be a tome (novel) that is responsible for a lot of us being here!

Suz xx

Comment

Originally posted by ferret View Post
                  Great stuff on what undeniably must be a tome (novel) that is responsible for a lot of us being here!

Suz xx
                  Hi Suz

Yes, there's no doubt that Knight's book and the whole Royal conspiracy theory got a lot of people hooked on the case. Moreover, I would say that the Seventies in general, with the different newspaper articles and books discussing the Royal angle, gave a huge jolt to public interest in Jack the Ripper. Because, once you implicate the Royals, specifically Prince Eddy, or someone acting on his behalf, anyone is fair game to be named as the Ripper.

All the best

Chris
                  https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.

Comment

Hi Chris- I know- there was something about that book and the 'disappearance' of SK soon afterwards that sort of fitted with the nastiness and then of course we had the Joseph malarcky- interesting as it was. I'm sorting out all of my Ripper books as well as a houseful of others(NEVER throw any books away!) to be boxed up before the great re-decoration horror but have SK there as a measure (!) for a paperback size on the floor to ceiling bookcases!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ferret View Post
                      Hi Chris- I know- there was something about that book and the 'disappearance' of SK soon afterwards that sort of fitted with the nastiness and then of course we had the Joseph malarcky- interesting as it was. I'm sorting out all of my Ripper books as well as a houseful of others(NEVER throw any books away!) to be boxed up before the great re-decoration horror but have SK there as a measure (!) for a paperback size on the floor to ceiling bookcases!!!!
                      Hi Suz

I kind of glossed over your opening sentence which I thought when you said "SK" you meant "serial killer" (not Stephen Knight!) and specifically the emergence of the "Yorkshire Ripper." While Peter Sutcliffe might have happened anyway, certainly his naming as another "Jack the Ripper" possibly had to do with the fact that the Ripper of 1888 had been so much in the news in the 1970's due to Knight's book, Stowell, etc.

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris-
                        Sorry I meant Stephen Knight in the SK! -

() An interesting character though I feel- despite all the other dark happenings after The Final Solution...Poor Stephen..... Now The Ripper and the Royals- which I must admit- in the absence of another book bed-side I must say I re-read... it's still strangely tantalising- but as we all know some sort of 'romance' shall we say....

Back to the usual 'slashers' for a few days and then when I'm away going to take 'Autumn of Terror 'to re-read for a during the Somerset sojurn.

IF I can find it in the packing! Aaaaaaaagh!

Suz xx

Comment

So then...do I read this book as fiction or fact??? Im confused!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X