Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince of Quacks---Tim Riordan

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aq=f=&oq=&aqi

The first item to appear looks like a winner.

I'll second that.

Good luck, Tim. I shall order a copy immediately.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

I also asked these folks to remind me when its available...and so should you,Forums members !!!
      Attached Files
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Fantastic!

Is the release date on for the end of September?

Comment

Loving the front cover! Good Luck with the release!

Comment

Excellent, Tim. I am greatly looking forward to reading your book.

Chris
            Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
            https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
            Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Yep GREAT cover!!! Bet the inside's great too!!!! Good Luck Timmers!!!

Comment

According to Tower Books' web page, a Sept 24, 2009 release date is shown.

A family member of mine told me recently that he can not decide on what to get me for Christmas this season. Tim has now solved that problem !!

The trouble is...I won't be allowed to open and read this book until December 25th.

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words. I have finished editing the proofs and doing the index this week. It is now back with the publisher. They say that it will be about a month from their getting the proofs to the publication. We shall see.

Best,

Tim

Comment

Yeah Archy...after the helmet, the moustache. I envy that moustache. It takes a lot of preening and primping and attention to maintain a moustache like that....like the one you used to have before I sent the epilator.

Here's a link to MacFarland Books which has instructions for pre-ordering Mr. Riordan's book. This, along with the A to Z and the upcoming UK Convention will provide a lot of discussion amongst the community.

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.p...-0-7864-4433-5
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

It was a long wait, but I finally ripped open my Christmas gift on early Thursday morning, and I have been reading like crazy. I've completed the first 13 chapters of Tim's work.

The footnotes alone are worth the price of the book. I found only four very small clerical errors in the footnotes, and that is a remarkably low number compared to the massive amount of material that was provided. Tim is a superb academic historian. He is very resourceful, and he knows how to get his hands on the things that other researchers can't access.

I've jotted down some notes while reading through the first 13 chapters. I'll share about a dozen of them with everybody on my next post.

Comment

Joltin':

I'm in the process of ordering the book myself and lamely should already have it.

If possible, if there's anything on John Buchanan, please let us know. No need to put everything down in a post, but it would be nice to see a little bit.
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Page 18: Tim did a nice job pointing out that Tumblety hadn't taken steps to move out of Rochester until at least the spring of 1855.

Page 29: "The Adolphus Binkert story" showed how Tumblety can manipulate religion when his dark-sided nature overcame him. Tumblety lectured his patient, Binkert, on God and the devil. The 'doctor' tried to make a joke out of the Sacrament of Penance in the process.

Page 45: The Nov 27, 1888 Boston Globe reported that Tumblety hired two thugs to assault an actor named James B. Prior.

Page 54: Tumblety used the ad "A good tree is known by its fruit." That ad was also used by Dr. Lyons. Tumblety showed no qualms about manipulating a religious verse in his phony business.

Page 81: Edward Haywood's comments about a "Lt. Sullivan" are unverifiable. This causes some skepticism in regards to Haywood's claim that Tumblety worked in Detroit in 1855. I don't think much of the NY World writer and his Washington DC colleague who presented the Haywood account.

Pages 95-96: I'm glad Tim revealed the news about Joseph Aspinwall and of the arrest warrant issued to Tumblety for perjury. I knew the 'doctor' had some trouble in Philadelphia in the spring & summer of 1863, but I hadn't known the details of it. It turned out that one would have needed a copy of the May 21, 1863 North American and U.S. Gazette to learn things.

Page 107: Terrific work by Tim here. The "infamous Baker" who was referred to in Tumblety's 1871 autobiography title probably was J.H. Baker and not Lafayette C. Baker. That has always been a sticking point. Chapter 9 footnote 12 in Tim's book helped clear up the matter a great deal.

Page 136: Tim claimed that Tumblety's 20 Montgomery Street office was in the Odd Fellows Savings Bank building in San Francisco. I had that bank located at 325 Montgomery Street, but it's really no big deal. Addresses could change over the years.

Page 141: Tumblety's May 1865 arrest in St. Louis came after the Washington Treaty's allotted time frame for compensations. So the 'doctor' received no money from his lawsuit against the government.

Page 149: Tumblety threatened to sue a printer's shop for libel in February 1875. (People had to be careful when they wrote about Tumblety in regards to the Ripper murders. The quack wasn't afraid to legally come after you, and he could afford the best attorneys.)

Page 162: Tim claimed that there is no further information available on Isaac Golliday. I think this link will help out folks who want to learn more about him:

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=2372&page=2

What you see above was just a handful of the notes that I took for the first 13 chapters of this book. Tim's work should be purchased and referred to whenever a Ripper researcher wishes to learn more about the medical career of the Littlechild Suspect. The first 13 chapters were a thorough review conducted by a smart author.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Chetcuti View Post
                            It was a long wait, but I finally ripped open my Christmas gift on early Thursday morning, and I have been reading like crazy. I've completed the first 13 chapters of Tim's work.

The footnotes alone are worth the price of the book. I found only four very small clerical errors in the footnotes, and that is a remarkably low number compared to the massive amount of material that was provided. Tim is a superb academic historian. He is very resourceful, and he knows how to get his hands on the things that other researchers can't access.

I've jotted down some notes while reading through the first 13 chapters. I'll share a dozen of them with everybody on my next post.
                            Hello Joe

Glad you got the book for Christmas. I am looking forward to getting my copy and having it signed by Tim Riordan, hopefully, when we meet in the Spring. Thanks for giving us your impressions of the book.

All the best

Chris
                            Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                            https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                            Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Got mine today....and I only ordered it Wednesday ! Wow !

Joltin' Joe ...at some point, along with Tim, Wolf V, and anyone else who has purchased Tim's book...can a discussion thread be developed ?
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X