This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    That?s the one. McCarthy Jr, the entertainer.
    Who, as far as I can see, had nothing to do with Miller's Court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
      Who, as far as I can see, had nothing to do with Miller's Court.
      Other than that his father owned it?

Comment

• McCarthy's Rents? So this was the great entrepreneurial Jack McCarthy? I guess I need to Fiona Rule's book.

Comment

• This may help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	McCARTHY.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	561542

Stay safe.

Simon

Comment

• That’s interesting, Simon.

It perhaps needs a bit of tweaking.

For instance, McCarthy’s parents married in London in 1846.

Comment

That?s interesting, Simon.

It perhaps needs a bit of tweaking.

For instance, McCarthy?s parents married in London in 1846.
              There are some useful bits and bobs on here.

One of the things that I worked out (I think) is why McCarthy was born in, or on the way to/from, Dieppe.

Comment

• Thanks Gary,

I've added the marriage into the timeline.

Stay safe.

Simon

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                  Thanks Gary,

I've added the marriage into the timeline.

Stay safe.

Simon
                  I?ve taken a copy of it, Simon, hope that?s OK. It?s spurred me to put together a Crossingham/Sullivan/McCarthy/Maher timeline.

Perhaps another one listing McCarthy?s good deeds might be of interest to Scott.

Comment

• Hi Gary,

Fine with me.

I've got a text version, which would be easier to edit.

Send me your email address and I'll whizz it across to you.

Stay safe.

Simon

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                      Hi Gary,

Fine with me.

I've got a text version, which would be easier to edit.

Send me your email address and I'll whizz it across to you.

Stay safe.

Simon
                      Thanks, Simon, there’s some interesting stuff there that I wasn’t aware of.

I’ve PM’d you my email address.

Comment

• The bricklaying theme runs through the McCarthy story. His father was a bricklayer’s labourer and that is why, I believe, Jack was born in Dieppe. In 1846 the great Victorian railway builder Thomas Brassey was constructing the Dieppe/Le Havre Railway. In 1849/50 Brassey built the magnificent Digswell railway viaduct in Hertfordshire using an army of Irish navvies who camped in the fields nearby and were known locally as the ‘tray bong boys’ (tres bon?). McCarthy’s younger brother, Dennis, was born in 1850 in a field in Digswell. Coincidence?

Also, before joining the army Thomas Bowyer was a bricklayer. He’s always seemed an odd choice as one of McCarthy’s ‘shopmen’. They tended to be young Irish Cockney types. Perhaps the bricklaying background is what got him the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                          I personally have not seen any direct challenges to his specific insinuations. But I don't have horse in the diary race and most of his work seems to relate to the diary, and to put your record straight underhanded and misleding is the term i used to describe what Orsam is suggesting in his writings
                          Hi Trev,

I try to follow the 'never complain, never explain' rule when it comes to David's outpourings.

Easier to do when you don't visit his man shed to read any specific insinuations, and rather difficult to challenge them directly in that case.

But in September I was sent, unsolicited, some of his updated writings, which showed me that he has a habit of misreading my message board posts, taking him down a rabbit hole of false assumptions, leading to invalid arguments and thousands of wasted words. Anyone who simply takes whatever he writes as gospel, without bothering to check his sources - me being the source in this particular case - would similarly be led astray. But I don't suppose more than one or two avid fans bother to read every word he spouts on the diary, much less check it for accuracy against the source he claims to be using. When he attacks stuff that was never written or claimed by me, or by anyone else, I have to wonder why. But that's for him to worry about. I'm going to assume it's a case of accidentally misreading his source material, rather than deliberately misleading anyone about it, in which case I can only put it down to his bias causing his competency to slip.

I have found several discrepancies, misunderstandings and factual errors in what little I have actually read of his diary rants, and unsurprisingly they all favour his own creation theories and negative opinions about the investigation, while they remain uncorrected.

I am not about to correct a single one of them. If he believes in careful reading and accuracy in his own work, over and above his personal crusade against the work of others, he can do it himself.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

• Originally posted by Caroline Brown View Post
                            Hi Trev,

I try to follow the 'never complain, never explain' rule when it comes to David's outpourings.

Easier to do when you don't visit his man shed to read any specific insinuations, and rather difficult to challenge them directly in that case.

But in September I was sent, unsolicited, some of his updated writings, which showed me that he has a habit of misreading my message board posts, taking him down a rabbit hole of false assumptions, leading to invalid arguments and thousands of wasted words. Anyone who simply takes whatever he writes as gospel, without bothering to check his sources - me being the source in this particular case - would similarly be led astray. But I don't suppose more than one or two avid fans bother to read every word he spouts on the diary, much less check it for accuracy against the source he claims to be using. When he attacks stuff that was never written or claimed by me, or by anyone else, I have to wonder why. But that's for him to worry about. I'm going to assume it's a case of accidentally misreading his source material, rather than deliberately misleading anyone about it, in which case I can only put it down to his bias causing his competency to slip.

I have found several discrepancies, misunderstandings and factual errors in what little I have actually read of his diary rants, and unsurprisingly they all favour his own creation theories and negative opinions about the investigation, while they remain uncorrected.

I am not about to correct a single one of them. If he believes in careful reading and accuracy in his own work, over and above his personal crusade against the work of others, he can do it himself.

Love,

Caz
                            X

Nice of you to clarify your position perhaps others will follow

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                              Nice of you to clarify your position perhaps others will follow

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                              Trevor, why do you feel the onus is on those being personally insulted to challenge their attacker? That’s feeding the troll.

Gary

Comment

Trevor, why do you feel the onus is on those being personally insulted to challenge their attacker? That?s feeding the troll.

Gary

Its putting the record straight that's how life is. If someone accuses you of something and you are innocent, do you not rebut that accusation and prove your innocence, not throw abuse back at your accuser?

The insults are secondary to what is being alleged

Comment

Working...
                                X