Mitre Square VR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
    It is not just opinion. if you read my book you will see that there is evidence to support what i have been saying all along. Dont be so quick judge,

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Trevor my friend, I have read your books, and it is just opinion that it was too dark, there is no science provided that proves your contention, indeed there is no science that could PROVE it.
    There is much in your work that is good, but there is also a great deal of opinion that is not backed by solid evidence. Nothing wrong with that.

Steve

Comment

Thank you for going to the trouble of making this available, Richard. I have nothing to offer as regards accuracy of buildings or lighting but I just wanted to say how wonderful it is to be able to walk the streets of 1888, so atmospheric. Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
        Well the evidence to support that there was sufficient light comes from the opinion of Dr Sequerea and is his "Opinion" and if you look closely at that opinion it does notr strand up to close scrutiny

He says first "but there was sufficient light to enable the miscreant to perpetrate the deed."

Ambiguos statement - Deed as in murder and mutilation, or murder mutilations, and removal of the organs?

The he says " in answer to a question in the Star Newspaper posed to both Dr Brown and himself before the post mortem had been carried out

Dr Sequeira. Brown was asked a specific question by the reporter “How long would it have taken him (the killer) to mutilate the body as you found it” Brown replied “At least five minutes” Sequeira when asked the same question and states “three minutes”

So both are referring to the murder and mutilations only and I suggest would be sufficient time to carry out murder and mutilation but would there have been sufficient light and time to loacte and remove the organs in the sketchy time we have to work with.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Again Trevor your assesment of of the statement of Sequeira is OPINION, your opinion.

If there was time is again YOUR opinion, and such is greatly dependent on if we believe specific organs were targeted.

Steve

Comment

Trevor:

You've said your bit. Put a sock in it.
          From now on, lets concern ourselves on the wonderful work Richard has shared with us.
          To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
          Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Could I please suggest we return to the subject of Richards thread, the lighting and what was possible is for another time and place.

Steve

Comment

No problem, folks.
              I turned off Trevor's posting until I get back from an appointment I have this morning.

Carry on.
              Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Thanks for all the kind comments and feedback. Yes, there is a big difference when viewing this scene VR and desktop. There will also be differences due to the monitor you're watching it on AND differences again when watching a record walk-thru as a video. NOTHING compares to real life and real eyes! Even the VR headsets will give different results due to their various pixel resolutions, makes and quality.

The engine that Sansar has created for these VR things is very good. It uses HDRi and proper environmental lighting conditions so it's quite close to the realism we need. The scenes (the Mitre Square one in the video) are illuminated ONLY by the HDR sky (like in real life) and the gaslamps in place in Mitre Street and the square. There is no artificial illumination.

I had to guess the strengths and range of the gaslamp light but one thing is certain, Ripper corner would have been in total darkness. Again, we are back to the differences in how you view this VR scene and how your eyes adjust to the darkness.

Mitre Street buildings I created are a bit crap. There still needs to be LOTS of work done to get it even close to acceptable.

But I need to start working on Miller's Court and the other scenes.

Also, I appreciate that Essex House wasn't there in 1888 and it was the Horner & Co. setup but I wanted to recreate the visuals in the photographs because we're used to seeing those.

Changes will be ongoing!

thanks
                ------------------------------------------------------
                http://autumnofterror.com | http://JtR3D.com

Comment

Concerning light, we live in a well lit time. People in 1888 were accustomed to functioning in less light. We think the Ripper prowled the streets in the dark even when he was not killing. It is amazing what can be seen in near darkness but I have no idea what it would have been like on the East End streets, surrounded by tall buildings on an overcast night.

Some interesting thoughts come to mind. Did the killer have enough experience, perhaps as a butcher, to be able to do all he did by feel alone? Did he have a light source? Probably not but what could have been available to him?

If he wore dark, loose clothing, he would have had even better camouflage for escape. In near darkness, moving patterns play tricks on the eyes. That would be an interesting project for Richard; find the Ripper, see him leave the square! (I once watched a deer disappear in front of my eyes on a moonlight night and it was better than anything in the movies. There were some dappled shadows from trees. I watched for along time and eventually, as the moonlight shifted, picked out the shape of the deer. She had only moved a few muscles to seemingly disappear. That was about protective coloration that evades predators. The Ripper was both predator and if the police got him, prey. If he was a creature of the night what might he have known instinctively?)
                  The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Here's another rough and dirty walk-thru video featuring Mitre Square:

Another visit to my VR Mitre Square experience in Sansar. This is a rough and unedited walk around the area. It includes PC Pearce's room overlooking the Square, the Essex House exhibition and the Goulston Street doorway. It also includes a brief visit to Dorset Street where construction of the next Whitechapel Recreation is underway! WIP...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GMJEExK_-4
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    http://autumnofterror.com | http://JtR3D.com

Comment

Once again, thank you for sharing, Richard.....the detailing is really impressive.

You have a real talent for this, sir.
                      Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Thanks a lot for this Richard. We all probably have slightly different versions of the crime scenes in our minds eye, so something like this is brilliant in giving as close an idea as possible as to what it was really like, as opposed to what our own imaginations may have given us. I'll follow any updates with interest.

Comment

Working...
                        X