My Latest attempt at realism - Miller's Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Latest attempt at realism - Miller's Court

My Latest attempt at modelling No. 13. Trying to get toward photo realism.

Still a long way to go.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    http://autumnofterror.com | http://JtR3D.com

Richard:

Sorry for the slow response....that looks pretty authentic.
    Thanks for sharing !
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

That's impressive stuff Richard. There just seems to be something missing. I can't quite put my finger on it. Oh wait....I've got it. A horrifically mutilated corpse!

Great work Richard

Regards

Michael
      Regards

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm 60% pleased with the images above but I have a huge way to go to get to the point where I'm happy with them and feel they are 'photorealistic'. That's the aim and I know it's achievable. I want them to be images that people will think are actually photos. It can be done.

At the moment those images (above) are being propped up by the 'aged' filters which are hiding many, many amateur mistakes.

Thanks

Comment

Richard: That is great! I think it is very realistic.

Is the fabric mattress cover accurate for the time? I had the idea Mary's mattress was covered with what we used to call blue ticking, kind of an unbleached white cotton with thin, blue stripes woven in. HOWEVER, I also have an idea if you used this fabric pattern in your work, there would be problems in the presentation. What you have is very good and that weave may well have been used in 1888.
          The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

I think it's great, Richard. I prefer the side views to the full-on one, because I think that one makes the bed look a bit too wide.

Comment

Very impressive, Richard.
              I would call that a ticking stripe that Richard has used, Anna. A thick line with a narrower one either side?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                I think it's great, Richard. I prefer the side views to the full-on one, because I think that one makes the bed look a bit too wide.
                It was said Mary had a double bed. It looks smaller in the contemporary photos. I noticed what you mention but thought it makes it more realistic to represent how an actual double bed would have appeared in the room.

The contemporary photos make the room look bigger than it is. I realised one day that her room is pretty much the size of my bedroom. Then I got to thinking about what Bowyer saw through the window. It would have been very close. The photos make it look like it would have been distant.

Debra: That would be a form of ticking. I haven't seen it in Victorian bedding before but I am not an expert. Woven patterns go back millennia. (Now to tick of the Scots=> Scythians invented tartan plaids.)

Comment

Thank you for the great replies and positive feedback.

The forum threads both here and at casebook have sort of settled on a 3 quarter bed size and that's what I opted for in these images.

The mattress: I was actually going to leave the bed a just a frame (head and base board and slatted base) but cobbled together that mattress to see how it would look. It's NOT a good mattress and everything you see will be changed (hopefully for the better).

I'll need to do a bit more research on the mattress types.

Also:
                  The room (No.13) was about 12ft x 10ft so it's a matter of arranging things in the configuration of how they were laid out (bed, side table, door width) to work out how wide the bed might have been. For instance, from the small window to the door frame would be at least 12 inches. The door opening would be 3 feet, so we have 4 feet to take from the 10ft width giving 6 feet of space for the bed and the small table. let's say the table was 18 inches wide (the door bashed onto it when it swung open) so we are left with 4.5 feet. Not much space for a double bed but a single or 3/4 would fit.

Comment

Hi Richard,

Amazing work!

My very best wishes,

Sean.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardH View Post
                      Thank you for the great replies and positive feedback.

The forum threads both here and at casebook have sort of settled on a 3 quarter bed size and that's what I opted for in these images.

The mattress: I was actually going to leave the bed a just a frame (head and base board and slatted base) but cobbled together that mattress to see how it would look. It's NOT a good mattress and everything you see will be changed (hopefully for the better).

I'll need to do a bit more research on the mattress types.

Also:
                      The room (No.13) was about 12ft x 10ft so it's a matter of arranging things in the configuration of how they were laid out (bed, side table, door width) to work out how wide the bed might have been. For instance, from the small window to the door frame would be at least 12 inches. The door opening would be 3 feet, so we have 4 feet to take from the 10ft width giving 6 feet of space for the bed and the small table. let's say the table was 18 inches wide (the door bashed onto it when it swung open) so we are left with 4.5 feet. Not much space for a double bed but a single or 3/4 would fit.
                      EXCELLENT reasoning! I worked out dimensions of some historic crime scenes with similar reasoning and have considered Mary's room the same way. You might check into historic furniture. I used to refinish antiques and make dollhouse furniture as part of my career as an artist. Furniture tends to have fairly standardised measurements. Amazingly I think "double" beds are the same dimensions now as in 1888.

The wooden head/foot boards on Mary's bed are commercially made so it is unlikely it would be some odd homemade dimension.

I think most homes have a room or two that are about 12 feet square. Sit in one of those rooms and imagine it as Mary's room. I have a double bed in my 12 X 12 bedroom. The closet could be the fireplace...etc.

One thing I am not sure of in old houses vs. new, is widths of doors. I think old doors were wider than new. Windowpanes were somewhat standardised here in the U.S. but England had that situation with the glass tax at one point so heaven knows what dimensions glass panes might be.

I actually like the mattress you used. It looks used and old without being nasty. Please do not take my comments as criticism. I have spent hours over time, looking at enlarged pictures of Mary's room while tuning out the gore. I always wonder if there is a clue everyone has missed. (I do have an unusual idea about what the so-called "F M" is.)

Comment

Great job!
                        /Johan

More JTR-art here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/windh/...57677347910233

Art showroom here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/windh/...57669932139414

All artwork presented for viewing is under copyright and may not be used without permission.

Comment

Working...
                        X