• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Foundry : Ripper Figurines

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/coll...pers-pre-order

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

How,

I seem to vaguely recall that a Jack the Ripper novelty pocket watch turned up on ebay some years ago, which was described as "vintage". I recall that when the watch was opened a caped figure popped up!

Such novelties tend to be regarded as a modern invention, but if the pocket watch was indeed "vintage" then it's possible a contemporary Jack the Ripper industry existed, of which we're unaware.

My regards,

Sean.

Comment

"Vintage" on ebay usually means the item was made about a week ago or less.

Comment

Why am I reminded of "Camberwick Green"?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
          Why am I reminded of "Camberwick Green"?
          Hi Robert,

Quite possibly because you're a gentleman of a certain age. I watched the reruns!

Admittedly, the headgear worn by the cider swilling Windy Miller was a tad different to that worn by our "pocket watch Jack". I neglected to mention his top hat!

My regards,

Sean.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Butler View Post
            "Vintage" on ebay usually means the item was made about a week ago or less.
            Hi Paul,

I tend to agree but I do think that an early Jack the Ripper industry existed, albeit on a limited scale.

I see little reason to doubt that the early, sensational, literary offerings weren't supplemented by cheap novelties aimed at tourists and a morbid, crime obsessed, public.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Comment

Miniatures that cater to my teenage obsession with wargames AND my adult obsession with the Ripper AND just in time for Christmas?

Niche marketing wins again!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Crundall View Post
                Hi Paul,

I tend to agree but I do think that an early Jack the Ripper industry existed, albeit on a limited scale.

I see little reason to doubt that the early, sensational, literary offerings weren't supplemented by cheap novelties aimed at tourists and a morbid, crime obsessed, public.

Best wishes,

Sean.
                Hi Sean. I believe I saw somewhere that a few JTR related lantern slides were marketed, but beyond that I hadn't heard of much in the way of non literary JTR inspired novelties from the time. If such things existed, they would not likely have survived until now in any numbers of course, but you'd think something might have.

Comment

Working...
                X