Knights of Heliopolis, vol. 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knights of Heliopolis, vol. 4

Yesterday, I finished the four volumes of The Knights of Heliopolis by Jodorowsky (writer) and Jeremy (artist). It concerns an immortal order of alchemists and their main hero, the Man in the Iron Mask AKA the hermaphroditic rightful king and queen of france fighting against, well, France while seeking enlightenment and hoping to defeat the immortal Napoleon and recruit him to their cause etc. Very very stereotypical and decidedly ungood, in my opinion.

Of relevance here is vol. 4, which starts out with the Ripper-murders, which turn out to be committed by a half-alien woman seeking to create powerful female spiritual warriors by harvesting ovaries, in order to fight her alien father to death, revenge for him causing her to be sterile because he was afraid her mothering instincts would ruin her purpose in the secret order etc. They all end up reconciling, the murders of 10 innocent women being seemingly irrelevant to the heroic protagonists.

Here is the murder of Kate Eddowes:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SKM_C55822062311280.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	593459

This is exactly the type of sick ‘entertainment’ that Hallie Rubenhold accuses us of revelling in.

Nice one, Kattrup.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
      This is exactly the type of sick ‘entertainment’ that Hallie Rubenhold accuses us of revelling in.

Nice one, Kattrup.
      To be fair, Kattrup did make it clear that he thought this production was "ungood" (to which I'm tempted to add "doubleplus").

But it does strike me as particularly unpleasant, and I hope there isn't anyone here who would enjoy looking at it. We don't have any rules at the moment about this kind of thing, and I wouldn't want to be seen to be telling people what to do when they're within the rules, but personally I'd have thought the top half of that page would be equally good as an illustration of the artwork (and of the artist's conception of Mitre Square).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

To be fair, Kattrup did make it clear that he thought this production was "ungood" (to which I'm tempted to add "doubleplus").

But it does strike me as particularly unpleasant, and I hope there isn't anyone here who would enjoy looking at it. We don't have any rules at the moment about this kind of thing, and I wouldn't want to be seen to be telling people what to do when they're within the rules, but personally I'd have thought the top half of that page would be equally good as an illustration of the artwork (and of the artist's conception of Mitre Square).
        That’s fine, then, as long as Kattrup thinks it’s ‘ungood’ and it doesn’t break the rules …

It’ll be interesting to see the response from other ‘Ripperologists’. Maybe Hallie was right all along.

Comment

The title of this subforum is "Ripper & other crime Media Forum", with an explanation adding: "A repository for media related to the Whitechapel Murders, East End/LVP related items and Other Crimes since the 19th Century."

I have perceived it as such, a repository for various works engaging with the Ripper-case or the myth to some extent. As I did not see the Heliopolis-comic mentioned, I thought it pertinent to do so.

In deference to Chris' opinion, I've removed the gory parts

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
            The title of this subforum is "Ripper & other crime Media Forum", with an explanation adding: "A repository for media related to the Whitechapel Murders, East End/LVP related items and Other Crimes since the 19th Century."

I have perceived it as such, a repository for various works engaging with the Ripper-case or the myth to some extent. As I did not see the Heliopolis-comic mentioned, I thought it pertinent to do so.

In deference to Chris' opinion, I've removed the gory parts
            Thanks very much, Kattrup.

Comment

If I count as a 'Ripperologist', my opinion is that this sort of schluck is fully within the historic mythology and folklore which surrounds the case. While it is not my cup of tea, this sort of material is part and parcel of the Jack the Ripper phenomenon, and 'we' should not allow the potential derision of Halle Rubenhold to have any bearing on the matter.
              Incidentally the media circus and distortions contained within 5 are equally part of the schluck folkelaw attached to the case.

Comment

Working...
              X