New Independent Review No. 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Independent Review No. 4

The latest issue of the New Independent Review is now out and subscribers should soon find it in their email-boxes. The issue is packed full with interesting features that include: "Murder by Design," by Cris Malone, which takes a detailed look at George Bagster Phillips and the enigma of the medical evidence in the Whitechapel Murders. "The Indictment," by Joe Chetcuti, not only takes a different look at the Tumblety indictment for gross indecency but reveals a story of Ripperologists working together. Lynn Cates makes his NIR debut with "The Work of an Imitator?" that reveals what the author feels are popular misconceptions about the Eddowes murder. Siobhan Patrick Mulcahy provides a of change of pace as she serves up "The Wimbledon Killer," the story of the only Wimbledon finalist to be charged with murder. Finally, Don Souden provides "Dog-gone!" the full and complete story of bloodhounds Burgho and Barnaby.

Further information on obtaining copies for this not already subscribers is available at
    http://newindependentreview.com/

Itching to read Cris Malone's article in this issue....
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Same here, How.
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

In my opinion,it would be to everyone's advantage that they get their hands on Cris Malone's meticulously written and logically constructed piece on George Bagster Phillips in this issue of the NIR.

I think that some researchers, in their haste or from some need to insist upon multiple killers operating within the area, have misinterpreted what Dr. Phillips meant when he said he saw a dissimilarity or dissimilarities between Chapman's and Eddowes' murders...which Cris examines and explains, at least to my satisfaction.

Well worth the time to read, retain and utilize for each individual researcher's study into these crimes in the future.

Now if suspect-oriented researchers would only be half as objective in their presentations as Cris is and demonstrates conclusively in his work....the field would benefit a thousand fold.

A Five star article by a true historian who has consistently kept an agenda out of his posts on the Forums ever since day one.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Alan Sharp wrote an article a few years back in Ripper Notes ( January 2006) about the Birtley Murder ( Jane Beadmore, committed by William Waddell...)...which Cris mentions in his article.

Dr. Phillips worried that divulging the details of the Chapman murder ( at Baxter's coroner's court, that is ) might inspire a copycat....which, of course, it did.

Waddell stated that he had been reading about the WM....and exactly two weeks after the Chapman murder, Ms. Beadmore was murdered....her body mutilated crudely and found on the 23rd.

Copycats....we have them today...so why not in 1888 ?
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

In regard to anyone possessing an acumen of medical knowledge and the commission of the WM ( those involving excessive mutilations, excluding Stride) :

Somewhere...on the Forums...is a clipping I found ( not that others had not seen it before... ) and posted referring to a local East End library or libraries...mentioning the startling rise in books perused and/or checked out that featured the female body...not necessarily nudes or semi-nudes, but also depictions one would find in medical books....during the AOT...and following the Chapman murder ( I'm pretty sure that that was when the article stated this sort of thing began).
            Ed Gein, as Cris pointed out in the article, also "collected medical books & anatomical charts in order to gain the necessary knowledge to carry out his gruesome activities with dead bodies...and he was just a farmer with a minimum of formal education".
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi Howard. In one post you seem to speak derogatorily of researchers who have suggested more than one killer at work, but then in the next post you state that 'copycats' may have been at work. Isn't that a contradiction?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Waddell was likely not a copycat. The 'Ripper made me do it' nonsense was a defense ploy. Actual copycats of serial murderers are very, very rare. But as you said, not impossible.

Comment

Hi Howard. In one post you seem to speak derogatorily of researchers who have suggested more than one killer at work, but then in the next post you state that 'copycats' may have been at work. Isn't that a contradiction?

P.S. Waddell was likely not a copycat. The 'Ripper made me do it' nonsense was a defense ploy. Actual copycats of serial murderers are very, very rare. But as you said, not impossible.--
                Tom Wescott
                It reads like one since I didn't specify the two murders I was referring to...those of Chapman and Eddowes, which I mentioned in the same post. I appreciate you reading that in order that I might clarify the misstatement. I see zero to suggest that those two were killed by two different men.

The comment is really a reaction to reports that there was no serial killer in the area which I find strange, to say the least....rather a killer for every victim.
                Stride might have been murdered by someone other than a copycat ( someone specifically influenced by the deeds of the murderer of Nichols, Chapman and Stride and even influenced by the Tabram murder)..but then again, as you just said, actual copycats of serial murderers existing is not impossible.

As to people claiming being influenced by the Ripper, we should be so lucky as to have a dollar for every time a man ( usually drunk ) assaulted his wife remarking that he'd do her like Jack The Ripper.
                Regarding Waddell's remark.... I know that it sounds like a case of a man possibly copping out and claiming all the press reports affected his head....but that he murdered her and within this murder we find mutilations....who knows ?

This isn't the thread to get longwinded over who I think was or wasn't a Ripper victim...but I'll just say the only ones I personally lean towards being committed by the same hand at this point in time ( knowing that data is constantly being updated on the boards ) are Nichols,Chapman, Eddowes and Kelly. I think other murders in the area might have been committed by someone at a later date, influenced by the murders of 1888...
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Bump up...
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I don't believe Waddell killed Jane Beatmore because he had read about the Whitechapel murders and just 'lost it.' This was a crime of passion. Some kind of altercation took place; maybe she had spurned him and he had already gotten possessive of her, but the point is, he knew her and the usual motives would apply. Now, he may have gone to the excesses that he did because he had read about the London murders, but his confession was probably a last ditch attempt to get some kind of mercy and be spared the hangman.

What's more important is the contemporary reaction to this murder and that of Dr. Phillips in particular. This was what he was worried about. It was why he disdained the publicity of the Chapman inquest and he felt that this vindicated his position. This murder happened on the weekend of Sept. 22/23 followed by the final sessions of the Nichols and Chapman inquests along with Baxter's shocking theory coming out of left field. Then the 'double event' happens a couple of days after that... a very event filled week.

Many people have overlooked this sequence of events and how it all played into the medical opinions that followed the murders of Sept. 30.
                    Best Wishes,
                    Cris Malone

Comment

The article "The Indictment" by Joe Chetcuti ( with a fine supporting cast) was also a very interesting read. Well done.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Bump Up
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Joe has now taken a break from swallowing Knickerbocker Glories long enough to send me a link where his article can be read :

http://ripperwriters.aforumfree.com/...ipper-journals

Additonal photo images have been inserted into the article, and the text has been updated.

Comment

Working...
                          X