• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripperologist Magazine : January 2011 # 118

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Hello How:

Thanks.

I would appriciate everyone's thoughts on the Isenschmid article I wrote.

Many thanks,

Corey

Comment

What are Gareth and Mike writing about?

Comment

Gareth is now a member of the editorial team. Mike is probably doing his regular spotlight on blogs.
        Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Jon

I'm quite looking forward to reading the interview with Bob

Comment

Gareth Williams' (first) editorial touches on the direction that the cadre on JTR Forums have been heading for a while now...that of "digging" into the newspapers together and various other troves of data...as opposed to squaring off about suspects or approaching the Case as individuals did back in the old ways and old days of a decade ago where a large percentage of threads were devoted to suspects.

I appreciated Gareth's message and I'm pretty sure that the trend that Gareth hopes to see will continue to be prominently on display here on JTR Forums.

Thanks for that Sam, er, Gareth !
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Corey:

Good of you to put together that piece on Isenschmid.

I noticed the one record which states the one side of his face featured a partial loss of expression...yet later on, it is mentioned that his gait was normal.

This makes me wonder ( the issue of his facial expressions ) whether Isenschmid had ever recieved a blow to the head of significance. Many people have been hit on the head and recieved concussions,of course, and never displayed/display any aberrant behavior.

However,some serial killers ( I'm not suggesting that Isenschmid ever killed anyone,by the way ) have had noteworthy head injuries...and while Isenschmid is not being suggested as a killer at all here, some of the tendencies the institution mentioned he possessed in 1887 do seem to indicate he possessed the ability to be violent beyond the verbal threats, had he not been institutionalized.

Again,congrats on the article,Corey.
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Many thanks Howard,

I suppose no one else liked it

I was thinking that may have been a possibility, or it could have been a temporary catatonic symptom, who knows.

As to what would happen if he wasn't institutionalized, yes I think it is very possable that he would have hurt or even killed somebody.

Thanks again How,

Corey

Comment

Loss of facial expression

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                  Corey:

I noticed the one record which states the one side of his face featured a partial loss of expression...yet later on, it is mentioned that his gait was normal.

This makes me wonder ( the issue of his facial expressions ) whether Isenschmid had ever recieved a blow to the head of significance. Many people have been hit on the head and recieved concussions,of course, and never displayed/display any aberrant behavior.

Again,congrats on the article,Corey.
                  Another reason could be that he suffered a mild stroke from which he later recovered. Was it by any chance the left side of his face?
                  www.darkdeedswales.com

Comment

Cor:

The magazine just came out yesterday,pardner...you've gotta give the old folks a little time...they'll get to it.

As to the question of which side of the face Isenschmid seemed to be favoring...

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi Corey
                      I picked up the Rip at my sister's where I am now visiting and am working my way through your article. Very impressive piece of work :-)
                      I'll send you some detailed notes on Saturday when I get back home
                      All the best
                      Chris

Comment

Hello How:

Heh-Heh thanks, I was kidding with that. Anyway, I suppose that note could indicate a number of things, catatonic symptoms, a stroke, a blow to the head, depression, you name it.

Hello Bob,

Do strokes only effect the left side of the body? Or does it matter really.

Hello Chris,

Thanks, have a good week my friend.

Yours truly,

Corey

ps I might look into what exactly could have caused the loss of expression.

Comment

I was under the impression (as a first aider) that a stoke can effect either side of the body dependant on which hemisphere of the brain it occurs (right side of brain effects left side of body, left side of brain effects right side of body).

In fact, I just did a google search and according to research in Germany a left hemisphere stroke (causing paralysis on the right side of the body) is slightly more common (56%/44%) than a right hemisphered.
                          Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Comment

STROKES

Originally posted by Corey Browning View Post
                            Hello How:

Hello Bob,

Do strokes only effect the left side of the body? Or does it matter really.

They can effect either side but in my experience the left side is more common.

I realise that this is not the right place for it but if I can reach one or two people it’s worth it.

Strokes kill thousands of people every year and the tragedy is that a lot of deaths can be avoided IF you can make an early diagnosis of a stroke. There is a simple procedure that can save lives and I urge you to remember it and use it. It is called STRT.

S = SMILE. Ask the person to smile and see whether it is even or if it is lopsided.
                            T = TALK. Ask the person to engage in a brief conversation which requires reasoning ability. For example ‘What is your address?’ ‘Is it raining or snowing?’
                            R =RAISE Ask the person to raise both arms straight out in front of them at the same time. Do they go up together or is one arm moving faster than the other?
                            T=TONGUE. Ask the person to stick their tongue out at you. Does it come out straight or does it turn to one side or the other?

If you get an adverse reaction to any of these simple tests don’t be afraid to ring 999 and say you have a possible stroke victim.

A person having a stroke need not have it in an exaggerated way, sometimes it might look like a simple trip or fall and the person might make an immediate recovery.

This system was devised by a man whose wife stumbled at a bar- b- q and immediately recovered. Six hours later she was dead. The surgeon said that if he could get a stroke victim to hospital within the hour there is a very good chance of a complete recovery, the trick is knowing when someone has a stroke. Together the surgeon and the widower devised this system to save lives. Please copy this information to as many people as possible, Facebook it, Twitter it or whatever you do. If you save one life that will be the best email you have ever sent!
                            www.darkdeedswales.com

Comment

I realise that this is not the right place for it but if I can reach one or two people it’s worth it

Absolutely, it's worth it. Many of our members are at the age that strokes strike. My grandfather died of a stroke.
                              Thank you for the important advice.
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X