X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripperologist 148: February 2016

OUT LATER TODAY:

RIPPEROLOGIST ISSUE 148!

If you're not already on the mailing list for this free digital magazine, simply send a message to [email protected] and we'll do the rest!

This issue's contents include:

EDITORIAL:

RIPPERCON IN BALTIMORE, APRIL 8-10, 2016

by Christopher T George

GOODNIGHT OLD DEAR

by Debra Arif

THE RIPPER MONIKER: JACK THE RIPPER AND HIS

SIGNIFICANCE AS A PRECEDENT FOR SERIAL MURDER

by John Frizzell

THE JACK THE RIPPER MUSEUM:

A SIX MONTH UPDATE

by Trevor Bond and Jon Rees

FROM THE ARCHIVES:

SOME NOTES OF THE HISTORY OF

THE COLNEY HATCH ASYLUM

by Rev Henry Hawkins, Late Chaplain (1901)

RIVALS OF THE RIPPER:

THE GREAT CORAM STREET MURDER, 1872

by Jan Bondeson

A FATAL AFFINITY: CHAPTER 7

Nina and Howard Brown

VICTORIAN FICTION:

THE AMPUTATED ARMS

By Jørgen Vilhelm Bergsøe

REVIEWS: Francis Thompson – A Ripper Suspect and more!
    Attached Files

Debs Arif

Nice work on straightening the age of Elizabeth Prater out, Debs...very nice.

I think your suggestion that Mrs. Maxwell confused Prater for Kelly might be right. The only 'problem' is Maxwell's steadfast position that she talked to Kelly. If, however, Maxwell only knew them superficially, then her steadfastedness becomes less important....IMHO.

In any event, you've knocked another one out of the park !

XXX
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
      Nice work on straightening the age of Elizabeth Prater out, Debs...very nice.

I think your suggestion that Mrs. Maxwell confused Prater for Kelly might be right. The only 'problem' is Maxwell's steadfast position that she talked to Kelly. If, however, Maxwell only knew them superficially, then her steadfastedness becomes less important....IMHO.

In any event, you've knocked another one out of the park !

XXX
      Thanks How. I didn't actually mention Maxwell btw, I was actually thinking of Morris Lewis saying he'd seen Kelly in the morning. But sometimes his sighting is used to bolster Maxwell's even though he didn't appear at the inquest and give evidence officially. I just mentioned it for a discussion point. My main interest was in the information that can be gleaned from the poor law records that doesn't show up in other official records.

Comment

Debs:
        Sorry about that ! I guessed incorrectly.
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact [email protected]

Comment

Great article, Debs!

Comment

Debs:
            The only Maxwell in the issue is the Beatles' song "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" cited by author John Frizzell in his article on "The Ripper's Moniker" on p. 14.

Cheers

Chris
            Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
            https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
            Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Very nise article Debs about the life of Elizabeth Prater and your comparison of her to Mary Kelly. An interesting sidelight too, how the Broomers were uprooted cross country by right of settlement.

Paul, thanks for the review of Richard Patterson's new e-book. I previously discussed with Richard on Casebook and still have some problems with the scenario, but yes I agree, Francis Thompson requires another look.

And a question - Trevor Bond wrote an article on McCarthy in Ripperologist some time which I read and enjoyed. I can't find the issue #. And wasn't he going to do a follow up article? Did I miss it?

Roy

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post

Trevor Bond wrote an article on McCarthy in Ripperologist some time which I read and enjoyed. I can't find the issue #. And wasn't he going to do a follow up article? Did I miss it?

Roy
                Roy, we published the Trevor Bond piece on McCarthy a year ago. It was part one. It appears that a part two has yet to appear, as you say.

Ripperologist Magazine
                February 2015, Issue 142
                “JACK” McCARTHY
                PART ONE: THE LIFE OF A DORSET STREET LANDLORD
                by Trevor Bond

Best regards

Chris
                Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Yes, but there's no picture of Debs to accompany her article.

Comment

Debs:
                    That's not to say you're wrong about Maxwell, though.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Everyone should take a peak at Trevor and Jon's expose as well.

Comment

A very interesting article, Debs.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G. View Post
                          Roy, we published the Trevor Bond piece on McCarthy a year ago. It was part one. It appears that a part two has yet to appear, as you say.

Ripperologist Magazine
                          February 2015, Issue 142
                          “JACK” McCARTHY
                          PART ONE: THE LIFE OF A DORSET STREET LANDLORD
                          by Trevor Bond

Best regards

Chris
                          I know Trev has been focused a lot on the museum article (Trevor did nearly all the actual legwork, I sit at home trawling social media, newspaper sites and dig into company info) and also a couple of book projects. He also had some trouble with part 2 as he lost a lot of his notes so was attempting to reconstruct.

I'll let him know there's an audience eagerly awaiting the conclusion.
                          Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jon View Post
                            I know Trev has been focused a lot on the museum article (Trevor did nearly all the actual legwork, I sit at home trawling social media, newspaper sites and dig into company info) and also a couple of book projects. He also had some trouble with part 2 as he lost a lot of his notes so was attempting to reconstruct.
                            You are both to be commended on another very thorough investigation of this depressing business.

Comment

kudos

Hello Debs. Kudos.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Working...
                              X