• Show
Clear All

• Ripperologist Magazine # 167 June 2020

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Have speeded through a first read of it...lots to look at again at more leisure and ponder over...Think it's a good'un!

Comment

Great article by Adam Wood about Swanson's scribbling habit.

I have to question the transcription on page 19, though - "Facist" Spain. It seems impossible that Swanson would have referred to Spain in that manner at that time. Surely it's something else.

Not sure what, thought. Perhaps the first downward stroke followed by a longer upstroke is th - so maybe the word is "thenin": "Cuba, then in Spain", which is not a great read, either, noone would refer to Cuba as "in Spain".

But surely not "facist"

Great to have a new issue

Comment

Happy to be corrected, Kattrup.

That’s my reading, but I admit it’s uncertain.

Glad you enjoyed the article as a whole.

Best wishes
          Adam

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
          Great article by Adam Wood about Swanson's scribbling habit.

I have to question the transcription on page 19, though - "Facist" Spain. It seems impossible that Swanson would have referred to Spain in that manner at that time. Surely it's something else.

Not sure what, thought. Perhaps the first downward stroke followed by a longer upstroke is th - so maybe the word is "thenin": "Cuba, then in Spain", which is not a great read, either, noone would refer to Cuba as "in Spain".

But surely not "facist"

Great to have a new issue

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Wood View Post
            Happy to be corrected, Kattrup.

That’s my reading, but I admit it’s uncertain.

Glad you enjoyed the article as a whole.

Best wishes
            Adam
            Hi Adam
            Is there any reason why you have made no reference to the results of the forensic handwriting examination of the marginalia commissioned in 1988 by Paul Begg and carried out by Dr Totty?

Incidentally a report that would appear to have never been made public.

Perhaps Paul will now publish the full and unedited results on here for all to see, and for us to compare with the later results of Dr Davies.

Despite what you say, the results of Dr Davies examinations in 2006 and again in 2012 do not conclusively prove Swanson penned all of the annotation relative to the Kosminski entry as you suggest.

For all those who would like to read my full analysis and assessment of the marginalia and the handwriting results, they can be found in a full chapter on the marginalia contained in my book Jack the Ripper-The Real Truth available in both paperback and kindle formats on Amazon

https://amzn.to/2CKnzqt

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Adam has put together a really nice issue. Placing the newly discovered photograph of Ameer Ben Ali on the cover was appropriate. A picture tells a thousand words. I look forward to reading the accompanying article by Howard & Nina that goes with this discovery.

I think Neal Shelden's presentation of Annie Chapman's wedding photo was probably the tops. That was super. But there have been other nice photographic discoveries over the years since, and the Ameer Ben Ali picture is one of them.

I just read Mike's article. He took on a tough chore. During his research, Mike had a lot of cobwebs that needed to get untangled. His studies took him to two men named Colonel Baker and three men named Blackburn!! But Mike sorted it all out. There was Colonel James Baker of Missouri and Colonel Lafayette Baker of Washington DC.

Then there was Dr. Luke P. Blackburn of Kentucky, and then there was the Dr. Blackburn alias that Tumblety sometimes used, and finally Mark A. Blackburn who was Tumblety's coachman. Mike wrote a good article that had a post American Civil War setting to it. I think Jeff Bloomfield over at the Casebook will appreciate this story. Jeff is quite a historian of American history.

I will take a look at Paul's review of The Escape of Jack the Ripper next. I'm not surprised that the review looks to be over three pages long. Jonathan and Christine wrote a book that went into plenty of interesting details.

Comment

I just read Howard & Nina's article. That was a surprising discovery in the Buffalo Courier that claimed Ameer Ben Ali had previously made some sort of confession. We'll wait for the next issue of Ripperologist to hopefully read about what his exact words allegedly were.

That was a nice article on the Salvation Army by Sheilla Jones and Jim Burns. I remember when Groucho Marx hosted his tv game show. Once time, a contestant desired that his winnings will be given to a charity of Groucho's choosing, and Groucho chose the Salvation Army. He said that we shouldn't think about the Salvation Army solely in December, but all year round.

I will read the article on Swanson next. Just by looking at it, I can tell that the picture layout is a typical top-notch job by Adam. All these articles in Ripperologist have their picture images in just the right places.

Comment

Joe :

Hope I don't disappoint, but in the article in this issue we're left with what Emile Sultan, the cigar store slash interpreter, says...not the actual words from Ben Ali.

Another source mentions a Francophone who states that Ali was misunderstood by Sultan.
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Interesting article on Tumblety by Mike Hawley.

Two minor typos appear with the dates which I'll leave here for Mike to correct.

It would have been out of character for the theaterloving Tumblety not to have attended this historic event
                    in New York. While the performance was on November
                    25th, 1888, he did not leave New York until November
                    28th.30 This means John Wilkes Booth stayed in New York
                    for a few days before heading off to his next performance. Page 14

Not only does the Brooklyn boy’s claim that Booth was
                    recently acquainted with Tumblety have corroboration,
                    but another comment he made explains how he may have
                    come into Booth’s employ as an errand boy, and that it
                    conforms to the whereabouts of both Booth and Tumblety
                    in November 1874.
                    Page 13
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

A fine article from Adam Wood on 'Scribblin' Donald Swanson.
                      Adam provides proof that Swanson had a habit of make notations in his books...hopefully this satisfies certain circles.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hats Off To Buffalo

Mike Hawley's fine article contains a report from the Buffalo Courier ( which I had found a few years back) putting John Wilkes Booth and Tumblety together.

The Courier also was the source with the photograph of Ameer Ben Ali which Nina located.
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                          Hi Adam
                          Is there any reason why you have made no reference to the results of the forensic handwriting examination of the marginalia commissioned in 1988 by Paul Begg and carried out by Dr Totty?

Incidentally a report that would appear to have never been made public.

Perhaps Paul will now publish the full and unedited results on here for all to see, and for us to compare with the later results of Dr Davies.

Despite what you say, the results of Dr Davies examinations in 2006 and again in 2012 do not conclusively prove Swanson penned all of the annotation relative to the Kosminski entry as you suggest.

For all those who would like to read my full analysis and assessment of the marginalia and the handwriting results, they can be found in a full chapter on the marginalia contained in my book Jack the Ripper-The Real Truth available in both paperback and kindle formats on Amazon

https://amzn.to/2CKnzqt

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Three days have passed since my original post and the silence is deafening, even the normally vociferous Paul Begg has fallen silent if nothing else that a first!

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Does anybody know where I can get a copy? I've changed email addresses and I didn't receive this issue. It isn't available at the website.
                            Thanks!
                            Thanks for your time,
                            dusty miller

Comment

Hi Dusty

The back-issue department might be a good starting point?

http://ripperologist.co.uk/backissues.html

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X