Ripperologist Magazine # 167 June 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
    Three days have passed since my original post and the silence is deafening, even the normally vociferous Paul Begg has fallen silent if nothing else that a first!
    www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Did you say anything sufficiently interesting to have merited a reply? If so, I evidently missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
      Does anybody know where I can get a copy? I've changed email addresses and I didn't receive this issue. It isn't available at the website.
      Thanks!

If you haven't done so already, email Adam at [email protected] and I'm sure he'll be able to set you up to receive copies.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
        If you haven't done so already, email Adam at [email protected] and I'm sure he'll be able to set you up to receive copies.
        Hi Dusty, sorry for the delay in responding to your message. It’s been a hectic few days.

Quick fix - you can download the current issue here:

www.ripperologist.co.uk/pdf/ripperologist167.pdf

All the best
        Adam

Comment

Sorry for not jumping to attention Trevor, I’ve been busy organising a hosting an online conference. You’d have enjoyed it.

The reason I didn’t mention a forensic examination by Dr Totty is that there wasn’t one, as explained in my detailed article of the discovery of the marginalia back in Ripperologist 126 - it was a spur of the moment request by Paul Begg when he and Dr Totty appeared on the same tv programme, as you know full well.

If folk would like to learn about the facts of the marginalia they can read that article for free. Available at www.ripperologist.co.uk in the back issues section.

Or if they would to read about Swanson and the marginalia in even further detail, it’s all in my biography of the detective - available at www.MangoBooks.co.uk

Adam

Three days have passed since my original post and the silence is deafening, even the normally vociferous Paul Begg has fallen silent if nothing else that a first!

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Wood View Post
            Sorry for not jumping to attention Trevor, I’ve been busy organising a hosting an online conference. You’d have enjoyed it.

The reason I didn’t mention a forensic examination by Dr Totty is that there wasn’t one, as explained in my detailed article of the discovery of the marginalia back in Ripperologist 126 - it was a spur of the moment request by Paul Begg when he and Dr Totty appeared on the same tv programme, as you know full well.

Adam
            If members of the cabal are going to stick together they should at least make sure they are all singing from the same song sheet !

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Did you say anything sufficiently interesting to have merited a reply? If so, I evidently missed it.

It was a "sufficiently interesting" request which even you could understand, for you to make public the results of the handwriting examination you commissioned with Dr Totty a handwriting expert into the Swanson marginalia.

I see Adam Wood has come to you aid with an explanation which as you well well know is untrue and you in fact acknowledge such a report existed in previous post in 2012 where you state

"And neither report, Totty or Davies, was "flawed" anyway."

Let me further refresh your memory and please tell me if I am wrong, when Dr Totty was sent comparison samples by you of Swansons handwriting to compare with the marginalia he came to the dramatic conclusion that the two writings were NOT written by the same person.

Now would you care to publish it in full and in unedited form and why you believed it to not be flawed, or perhaps it was flawed and you simply forgot to mention the flaws?

"The truth is out there"

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Thank you Adam, full set intact!
                Thanks for your time,
                dusty miller

Comment

It was a "sufficiently interesting" request which even you could understand, for you to make public the results of the handwriting examination you commissioned with Dr Totty a handwriting expert into the Swanson marginalia.

I see Adam Wood has come to you aid with an explanation which as you well well know is untrue and you in fact acknowledge such a report existed in previous post in 2012 where you state

"And neither report, Totty or Davies, was "flawed" anyway."

Let me further refresh your memory and please tell me if I am wrong, when Dr Totty was sent comparison samples by you of Swansons handwriting to compare with the marginalia he came to the dramatic conclusion that the two writings were NOT written by the same person.

Now would you care to publish it in full and in unedited form and why you believed it to not be flawed, or perhaps it was flawed and you simply forgot to mention the flaws?

"The truth is out there"

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

I did not acknowledge that a report by Dr Totty existed. I used the word 'report' to describe the responses by Drs Totty and Davies. In other words, the results Dr Totty reported back, not a physical written report.

There is no physical report to publish. This has been explained to you carefully on several occasions, but you seem unable to accept it. And I'm afraid that's your problem.

As you have been told so many times, Dr Totty and I appeared together on a television programme. Back then I didn't rub shoulders with professional document examiners very often, so I grasped the opportunity to ask Dr Totty if he would take a look at the marginalia. I did not then have access to the marginalia itself or to actual documents signed by Swanson, so I provided photocopies. This was less than satisfactory, but it was better than nothing. Dr Totty initally said the handwriting didn't match, but I supplied further documents written and signed by Swanson and these did match. Investigation showed that the documents I had first supplied were not written by Swanson, but by a secretary or amanuensis. With my mistake understood, Dr Totty confirmed that the marginalia and documents written by Sawnson were both written by the same person.

So, I did not accept that the marginalia at face value. I questioned its authenticity and when a chance meeting with Dr Totty presented itself, I took the opportunity to ask him to examine it. Using photocopies was very far from ideal, but they were all I had and it was better than nothing. In addition to asking Dr Totty to examine the marginalia, I was able to see and examine the marginalia for myself, and meet and discuss it with Jim Swanson. I think questioning the marginalia, as I did, is worthy of a little praise, instead of your constant attempts to build a conspiracy theory out of it.

Anyway, I have taken time out of a busy schedule to respond for the umpteenth time to this utter nonsense of yours. I won't be doing it again.

Comment

I did not acknowledge that a report by Dr Totty existed. I used the word 'report' to describe the responses by Drs Totty and Davies. In other words, the results Dr Totty reported back, not a physical written report.

There is no physical report to publish. This has been explained to you carefully on several occasions, but you seem unable to accept it. And I'm afraid that's your problem.

As you have been told so many times, Dr Totty and I appeared together on a television programme. Back then I didn't rub shoulders with professional document examiners very often, so I grasped the opportunity to ask Dr Totty if he would take a look at the marginalia. I did not then have access to the marginalia itself or to actual documents signed by Swanson, so I provided photocopies. This was less than satisfactory, but it was better than nothing. Dr Totty initally said the handwriting didn't match, but I supplied further documents written and signed by Swanson and these did match. Investigation showed that the documents I had first supplied were not written by Swanson, but by a secretary or amanuensis. With my mistake understood, Dr Totty confirmed that the marginalia and documents written by Sawnson were both written by the same person.

So, I did not accept that the marginalia at face value. I questioned its authenticity and when a chance meeting with Dr Totty presented itself, I took the opportunity to ask him to examine it. Using photocopies was very far from ideal, but they were all I had and it was better than nothing. In addition to asking Dr Totty to examine the marginalia, I was able to see and examine the marginalia for myself, and meet and discuss it with Jim Swanson. I think questioning the marginalia, as I did, is worthy of a little praise, instead of your constant attempts to build a conspiracy theory out of it.

Anyway, I have taken time out of a busy schedule to respond for the umpteenth time to this utter nonsense of yours. I won't be doing it again.
                    There is no conspiracy theory I asked you a simple question to confirm that you asked Dr Totty to carry out a handwriting comparison and what the result was. Both you and Adam Wood replied that there was no examination and so no report. That was a lie!

The only praise will come come when you are totally transparent, and when that happens hell will freeze over.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

To be fair to Trevor, Adam gave the wrong volume number for his Ripperologist article in which it's explained that Totty initially responded by telephone, and in which his subsequent written comments are quoted. It may be that Trevor wasn't able to work out that the volume number should have been 128.

Comment

There is no conspiracy theory I asked you a simple question to confirm that you asked Dr Totty to carry out a handwriting comparison and what the result was. Both you and Adam Wood replied that there was no examination and so no report. That was a lie!

The only praise will come come when you are totally transparent, and when that happens hell will freeze over.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                        What tripe are you uttering now, Trevor. 'Both you and Adam Wood replied that there was no examination and so no report. That was a lie!' There was an examination and there wasn't a report, so where is the lie?

I must say that I don't take kindly to being called a liar, especially by the likes of you, so I shall reluctantly lodge a formal complaint with Howard unless you can clearly demonstrate where I have lied.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
                          To be fair to Trevor, Adam gave the wrong volume number for his Ripperologist article in which it's explained that Totty initially responded by telephone, and in which his subsequent written comments are quoted. It may be that Trevor wasn't able to work out that the volume number should have been 128.

Thanks, Chris. Honestly, taking the opportunity to ask Dr Totty for his opinion was the right thing to do, but the hassle I have had from Trevor, along with his efforts to suggest that I've been less than open about things, makes me wonder whether it was worth it.

Comment

What tripe are you uttering now, Trevor. 'Both you and Adam Wood replied that there was no examination and so no report. That was a lie!' There was an examination and there wasn't a report, so where is the lie?

I must say that I don't take kindly to being called a liar, especially by the likes of you, so I shall reluctantly lodge a formal complaint with Howard unless you can clearly demonstrate where I have lied.

I have made mention of a post from 2012 in which you say ""And neither report, Totty or Davies, was "flawed" anyway."

You clearly use the term report so i am not a liar so complain all you want to whoever your want the truth is out there, shame you at times cant recognize that fact.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Trevor:

The name calling stops now.
                              To Join JTR Forums :
                              Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                                Trevor:

The name calling stops now.

There is no name calling I am just stating facts, and asking for transparency which seems to be lacking in matters connected to this whole forensic examination of this marginalia.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X