X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripperologist Magazine # 168 November 2020

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

I just started reading the first article in this issue. Congratulations to Lindsay Siviter for her discovery of photographs taken of the Shoreditch Mortuary. Those who research into Mary Kelly will surely be pleased. The pictures were taken in 1914.

A discovery like this inspires researchers to keep digging for other photographs that are related to the Whitechapel crimes. Sometimes you strike gold. Lindsay also presented an excellent report on the history of the mortuary.

Comment

I just read the article by Jonathan Menges. Let me see if I got this straight.

Wynne Weston-Davies is looking to prove that Mary Jane Kelly was his great aunt Elizabeth Weston Davies. By exhuming the body of Kelly, and testing the body for DNA, then the proof may become apparent.

But the Ministry of Justice has a strict criteria set in place before a body can be exhumed. In this Kelly matter, the very fist hurdle is: There must be compelling and unambiguous evidence that Mary Jane Kelly is Elizabeth Weston Davies.

So Wynne has to show compelling and unambiguous evidence that the woman known as Mary Jane Kelly was Elizabeth Weston Davies. If he doesn't show this evidence, then the body does not get exhumed.

Ok, now let's go back to the year 1981. They exhumed the body of Lee Harvey Oswald to see if that body was a spy named Alek James Hidell.

Am I right in thinking that the Ministry of Justice (if it were in charge) would not have allowed Oswald's body to be exhumed until there is compelling and unambiguous evidence that man known as Lee Harvey Oswald was Alek James Hidell?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Chetcuti View Post
        I just read the article by Jonathan Menges. Let me see if I got this straight.

Wynne Weston-Davies is looking to prove that Mary Jane Kelly was his great aunt Elizabeth Weston-Davies. By exhuming the body of Kelly, and testing the body for DNA, then the proof may become apparent.

But the Ministry of Justice has a strict criteria set in place before a body can be exhumed. In this Kelly matter, the very fist hurdle is: There must be compelling and unambiguous evidence that Mary Jane Kelly is Elizabeth Weston-Davies.

So Wynne has to show compelling and unambiguous evidence that the woman known as Mary Jane Kelly was Elizabeth Weston-Davies. If he doesn't show this evidence, then the body does not get exhumed.

Ok, now let's go back to the year 1981. They exhumed the body of Lee Harvey Oswald to see if that body was a spy named Alek James Hidell.

Am I right in thinking that the Ministry of Justice (if it were in charge) would not have allowed Oswald's body to be exhumed until there is compelling and unambiguous evidence that man known as Lee Harvey Oswald was Alek James Hidell?
        I haven't read the whole of the article by Turi King et al., but from what I have read it seems the difficulty is that normally before a body can be exhumed, there is a requirement for consent from all the next of kin, "considered to be the spouse or civil partner, children, parents, siblings, grandchildren and grandparents".

I'm not sure what that would mean for someone who died in 1888, but without evidence that Mr Weston-Davis is Mary Kelly's great-nephew, there wouldn't be consent from any of the next of kin, let alone all of them.

Obviously in this case there are other factors making it impossible. The same difficulty of consent by the next of kin would have arisen with Russell Edwards's request to exhume the body of Aaron Kozminski. I am sure that some members of the family would have been extremely unhappy with that idea.

Comment

Still reading through this issue. Nice to see the rediscovered mortuary photographs and very informative article by Lindsay Siviter on its history.

I'm looking forward to reading everything else but I think I will have to read Bruce Collie's article next.

Comment

I’ve read most of it. There’s some good stuff there. The reprinting of the Dorset Street article was rather timely. Who wrote that?

I also enjoyed Paul’s review of Kristina’s book and I think I spotted a small mistake he’d made, but I couldn’t possibly reveal it.

Also Howard and Nina’s article about Ameer Ben Ali was enjoyable.

Comment

There is an interesting review of a book by Scott Seeds and Joseph McMoneagle entitled "Jack the Ripper: State Secret". McMoneagle acted a remote viewer in the US-government-funded "Star Gate" project, which investigated the possible use of clairvoyance for military and intelligence purposes. This is one of a series of books co-written by McMoneagle entitled "Evidential Details".

Apparently much of it relates to Liz Stride, but it also purports to identify Aaron Kozminski as the murderer (the publicity for the book cites the alleged DNA evidence produced by Russell Edwards and Jari Louhelainen).

According to the review:
              "As for Aaron, we're told that his mother, Golda Lubnowska, was a prostitute and Aaron was the child of one of her clients. His father, Abram, allegedly deserted his family and Aaron was treated so badly that he developed a burning hatred of prostitutes."

There is no evidence to support any of that, but I think probably in part it derives not from McMoneagle's psychic faculties but from a speculative article written by Rob House in 2005, and available online here:
              https://www.casebook.org/dissertatio...-koshouse.html

Rob discussed what was then known about Aaron Kozminski in relation to the psychological profiling of serial killers. Thus it mentions a profile suggesting that the Ripper was "raised by a dominant female figure who consorted with different men", and that Aaron's father might have abandoned the family (among other possibilities). Also that Aaron might have been influenced by his experiences of violent anti-Semitic persecution, and that he might have been assaulted himself.

But this article was written before the genealogical facts about the family were known. It appeared then that Aaron's mother might have married twice, and it wasn't known what had happened to his father. But subsequently it became clear that the records of Golda's husband relate to the same man, Joseph Abraham Kozminski, and that he died in 1874 in the town where the family lived.

It would be interesting to see more details of what is claimed in the book, and to check whether there are further points of contact with Rob's article. But I don't think I'm sufficiently intrigued to buy this book.

Comment

Working...
              X