X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripperologist Magazine # 169 July 2021

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Congratulations to Pat and Chris for presenting a thoroughly enjoyable article and for their successful research. It's good to see all that hard work pay off.

It's articles like these that give all researchers hope that if you keep trying, you may just uncover significant data. Well done you two.

And it was nice that the article allowed Wynne Weston-Davies to share his comments at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Chetcuti View Post
      Congratulations to Pat and Chris for presenting a thoroughly enjoyable article and for their successful research. It's good to see all that hard work pay off.

It's articles like these that give all researchers hope that if you keep trying, you may just uncover significant data. Well done you two.

And it was nice that the article allowed Wynne Weston-Davies to share his comments at the end.
      Thanks for your kind comments, and also thanks to those who have posted comments about the article on Casebook. I was also very pleased to read Wynne Weston-Davies's generous response, and I know Pat was too.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with your remark about keeping trying. I think Pat is the most persistent researcher I have ever known. I have been learning from her, but unlike her I still give up at a certain point ...

Comment

Very well constructed article and congratulations to Chris and Pats for their work.
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

Thanks for your kind comments, and also thanks to those who have posted comments about the article on Casebook. I was also very pleased to read Wynne Weston-Davies's generous response, and I know Pat was too.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with your remark about keeping trying. I think Pat is the most persistent researcher I have ever known. I have been learning from her, but unlike her I still give up at a certain point ...
          Congrats Chris and Pat. It was a really impressive piece of research. I’m jealous.

Comment

Chris and Pats article I thought was quite brilliant and the final nail in the coffin to Wynne's silly idea. I have to say I was a bit disappointed with Wynnes response by suggesting that Francis Craig could still possibly be Jack the Ripper and that Elizabeth Weston Davies could have visited Breezer's Hill instead of Mary Kelly. To me, it reeks of desperation.

Comment

Just repeating what I posted on Casebook because I couldn't find a thread on forums until today. A brilliant piece of research Pat and Chris.
              At least WWD accepted the death and didn't reconstruct a complicated, nonsensical cover up theory to explain your findings....as some do.

I'm hoping that Pat is still ploughing away at identifying GH!
              Debs

Comment

Thanks again for the kind comments on our article.

Regarding WWD's response, I had initially hoped our finding would be accepted as an exoneration of Francis Spurzheim Craig, though I suppose logically it doesn't amount to that. But I really don't think he would ever have been considered a suspect if Elizabeth Weston Davies's history had been known from the outset.

I don't think the idea is tenable that Elizabeth - rather than Mary Kelly - could still have been the woman remembered at Breezer's Hill/Pennington Street, because so much of that woman's history agreed with what Barnett had been told, including the very specific "Morganstone" detail.

But we were very pleased that Wynne accepted the main finding. He also kindly supplied some additional information by email, including one fact that cleared up an apparent discrepancy - the description on Elizabeth's death certificate of her father as a police constable. All the other descriptions we had seen were connected to his work in the slate quarrries, but Wynne told us he had also been described as a police officer on the birth certificate of Elizabeth's brother John in 1864. (It's still not clear in what capacity he served; perhaps as a part-time constable.)

Incidentally, I see that on the Casebook thread Jonathan Menzies has definitely been too generous in one respect - he has given me credit for research into Captain W. J. Melville's New Zealand radio broadcasts, which was actually done by R. J. Palmer.

Comment

Working...
                X