X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help: Old board school durward street

URGENT: OLD BOARD SCHOOL IN DURWARD STREET (BUCKS ROW) UNDER SERIOUS THREAT
    Dear all,
    Last year we informed you that the playground at the top of one of the only remaining landmarks from that famous Autumn/Fall of Terror in 1888, The Old Board School, (Trinity Hall) was under threat from the prospect of development. This development was to extend upwards on the top of the building with an entirely inappropriate modern extention. We encouraged you all to submit objections. You did, it worked. Thank you.
    Unfortunately, the same proposals have been resubmitted for this extension to the board school playground to Tower Hamlets council planning department. We now ask you again to submit an objection. Submitting an objection is quick and easy, we will show you how below.

PLANNING APPLICATION: PA/11/02230 This application (PA/11/02230) was submitted on 23-8-2011 and is described thus: "Erection of a single storey extension at roof level of existing building to provide three new residential units comprising 1x1 bed and 2x2 bed and associated works."

[B]SUBMITTING AN OBJECTION[/B
    ]*THIS MUST BE DONE BY THURSDAY (This Thursday!) 13th OCTOBER 2011*
    - Visit the Tower Hamlets website at: www.towerhamlets.gov.uk
    - In the search bar at the top right-hand of the home page put in the application number: PA/11/02230
    - Then press 'enter'
    - This will now give you three options. Pick the SECOND option: "Comment on Application - online planning register"
    - Then fill in the form completing all the fields asked for and click on submit button.
    - You have gone some way to save a piece of history for future generations! Well done.

Alternatively, you can email Tower Hamlets Planning department with your concerns, remembering to include the application number; PA/11/02230
    Their e-mail address is: [email protected]
    Or, you can write to them (be very quick!!!) at: Tower Hamlets Planning & Building Dept. Planning Office, Mulberry Place (AH), P.O. Box 55739, 5 Clove Crescent, London, E14 2BE

WE CAN WIN THIS ONE AS WE DID BEFORE!

ADRIAN.
    (Editor: Whitechapel Society Journal)

www.whitechapelsociety.com
    Where Legend becomes history.....

Signed, once again.

Don't these people ever give up with these bizarre proposals?

Andrew

Comment

If non-Brits sign, will this be a problem for those trying to have the petition taken seriously ?

In other words...if they see an American's name on the petition, will it be a drawback ?

I'll be happy to sign and I hope everyone on the Forums does too.
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact [email protected]

Comment

signed

Tracy
        If you're going to be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.

Comment

About non-British residents signing the petition.

If in doubt, send your comments via email direct to the office at Tower Hamlets.

It might be a case that non-British residents are excluded from the petition anyway so an independent e-mail might have more impact.

Thanks for the feedback. We only heard about this new form of the proposal because an 'insider' gave us the tip off!

So thanks to all those who are Facebook friends and 'used to be' Facebook friends who replied to this post.

ADRIAN.

Comment

The petition that we all originally signed still stands.

This new thing is an 'objection' so non-Brits might be able to sign it anyway.

ADRIAN.

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
              If non-Brits sign, will this be a problem for those trying to have the petition taken seriously ?

In other words...if they see an American's name on the petition, will it be a drawback ?

I'll be happy to sign and I hope everyone on the Forums does too.
              I don't think it matters where you live if you appreciate the value of these buildings as preserving examples of a heritage that belongs to everyone.

Comment

Yes Paul,

I think the impact of numbers and comments will carry the day.

ADRIAN.

Comment

I expect that, with the addition of the new Crossrail route to Whitechapel, plus the general smartening up of the area in general, these kind of proposals are to be expected from developers wanting to make a fast buck. (No pun intended!). So the more pressure exerted on the powers that be, the better.

All the best
                  Andrew

Comment

Seems that they are persistant - which isnt a good thing.

thanks for highlighting it widely on the boards

all the best
                    Jenni
                    "be just and fear not"

Comment

I signed again, although I probably came across as a militant whacko this time. Oh, well, nothing new there.

Comment

Lyn,

Thanks for putting your valuable objection in, every little helps.

And thanks to everyone else here that put in an objection...

ADRIAN.

Comment

I went the email address way, thinking that perhaps it was more appropriate as a furrinner.

Comment

Yesterday, something occurred to me about this proposal. On the face of it, this would seem to be a small scale building project, if it was given the go ahead. Understandably the proposers are doing this for money, but they seem to have overlooked a rather large problem.

Construction of the cross rail station is already underway, meaning large parts of the street are already occupied by equipment etc. Underground station and ticket halls are set to be expanded and rebuilt causing more congestion. Now they're proposing to add further vans, cranes etc to an already crowded street. There's a possibility the developers may have problems setting up a working site for the next few years!

All the best
                            Andrew

Comment

Not really sure what Firth's on about!

In simple terms the CrossRail project has had an impact on property prices and thus the desire for landlords to increase residential space. Hence the application to extend upwards at the Old Board School.

As pointed out by the photographer Louis Berk who works nearby, the unique open playground on the roof of the building is a very rare existing example of such a feature and must be protected.

ADRIAN.

Comment

Working...
                              X