WS Journal #24 February 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WS Journal #24 February 2009

I had to do a double take today, as I read the article featuring Chris Jones who runs the www.jamesmaybrick.org site.

It discusses Florence Maybrick and her living near and being chummy with the housemother,Mrs. Hulon, of the South Kent School in S.Kent,Connecticut.

My Dad went to the South Kent School during the time Mrs.Maybrick lived on Old Stone Road... he went to that school sometime between 1927 and 1932....I'm going to check into the family photos here and see if I can locate one which mentions the school somewhere on the photo...if I have one that is..

I've seen the school mentioned before somewhere and yet it didn't click until today as I read the story in the WS1888.

Pretty decent issue....it focuses on Tabram with an article by Jon Ogan.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Hey How,

It is indeed a great issue. (I'm in there too in case you didn't notice me lurking in the Central News Agency). I hope there'll be plenty of entries in the short story contest which I'm honoured to have been asked to judge. (See back page).

Brian

Comment

Brian:

Thanks for reminding me about that back page and that you've been selected ( congrats to you !) to judge entries in the WS1888 short story contest.

This is good news,dude. I'm very happy for you and hope that you have 10,000 stories to judge. Fiction Ripperology is one very enjoyable medium of entertainment and it gives me a chance to practice my awful imitations of Scots,Welsh,and Irish when I read to Nina. I make Sam Flynn sound like Sir John Gielgud when I "go Welsh".

Its also a great thing that both Ripperologist & The WS1888 Journal the are encouraging the many talented individuals in our field to challenge themselves and be rewarded with a healthy chunk of change for their efforts if selected. Kudos to both organizations.

Hopefully other people will remember what has happened in your case,where your efforts, just like Jana Oliver's and Bill Perring's ,have been rightfully rewarded for their quality.
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I would love to enter the contest, but there's a bit of an issue: the rules state that the contest fee must be paid BY CHEQUE. Yanks don't usually have UK bank accounts. The money order or "slip a fiver in the envelope" options are missing.

Any thoughts on this, Brian? Should I nudge Adrian and see how they'll handle foreign submissions?

Jana

Comment

Originally posted by TimeRover View Post
          I would love to enter the contest, but there's a bit of an issue: the rules state that the contest fee must be paid BY CHEQUE. Yanks don't usually have UK bank accounts. The money order or "slip a fiver in the envelope" options are missing.

Any thoughts on this, Brian? Should I nudge Adrian and see how they'll handle foreign submissions?

Jana
          Hello Jana

Here in the United States, you could get a sterling check cut at American Express or another money exchange place, or maybe for the contest they would accept payment through Paypal. Good luck.

Chris
          Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
          https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
          Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Dear Jana:

By a strange coincidence,I very recently sent the lady at the WS1888 a check from my Canadian bank ( T&D....which used to be Commerce) and she accepted it for a one year sub to that magazine.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by TimeRover View Post

Jana
              Jana

My advice would be to contact Adrian or Frogg and ask what method they would prefer for US entries. That way at least you'll know for sure if yoru entry can be accpeted. I'm sure they'll find a way.

Best regards, and best of luck with your entry.

Brian

Comment

[quote=How Brown]Brian:

Thanks for reminding me about that back page and that you've been selected ( congrats to you !) to judge entries in the WS1888 short story contest.

This is good news,dude. I'm very happy for you and hope that you have 10,000 stories to judge.

Hi How,

10,000 stories!!! Yikes, I'd still be reading them when I'm old and grey, (not far off I admit). In fact, I only have from the closing date in October until early December to make the final decision, so I have some serious reading to do once all the entries are in.

Good luck if you have a go, and keep practising those accents.

Best regards

Brian

Comment

Hi All,

Unfortunately, according to that back page again, authors who have had books published on Jack the Ripper are excluded from entry.

I suppose you'd have to contact Adrian or Frogg to ask for the precise definition of a JtR book to see if you could still be eligible.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

You'll be OK, Caz. You haven't had a book published on JTR, though you have published one on Maybrick.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                      You'll be OK, Caz. You haven't had a book published on JTR, though you have published one on Maybrick.
                      Well, Robert, I would dispute that. Anyone who has actually read the book I wrote with Keith and Seth will appreciate that it is no more about Maybrick than it is about Jack. It is about the personalities who were involved with the diary during the first decade since its emergence in 1992 - a very long story, based on what they have actually said and done. Any fiction going on is down to them, not down to my limited imagination.

But it's not me who wants to enter this contest anyway. I was thinking of others who do, who may not realise they are ineligible and are busily working on their entry. It would be horrid to find out after putting the time and effort in.

Love,

Thoughtful Caz
                      XX

Comment

Hi Thoughtful Caz

I wasn't suggesting your book was fiction, just that Maybrick wasn't JTR.

Thoughtless Robert

Comment

I know what you were suggesting, Robert. But the contest is to write a short story about JtR, and presumably a fictional one.

Our book was not on Maybrick himself, not on JtR, and certainly not concerned with who may or may not have been guilty of murder in the 1880s.

I was only trying to be helpful by pointing out one of the rules of a competition I would have no intention of entering myself, no matter what anyone thinks our book was about.

Love,

Caz
                          X

Comment

I don't think I'll be entering it either, Caz. I mean, 100 is all very well but where's the Forums keyring?

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline Morris View Post
                              Well, Robert, I would dispute that. Anyone who has actually read the book I wrote with Keith and Seth will appreciate that it is no more about Maybrick than it is about Jack. It is about the personalities who were involved with the diary during the first decade since its emergence in 1992 - a very long story, based on what they have actually said and done. Any fiction going on is down to them, not down to my limited imagination.
                              And as it's being mentioned, for anybody out there who hasn't had the chance to experience it, 'Ripper Diary: Inside Story' is a cracking book. It is not a Maybrick book, nor is it a Ripper book, but a fascinating insight into the goings-on surrounding the diary and to be honest, a pretty good indication of the sort of aggro that can sometimes happen in Ripperology.

Somebody once told me 'Ripperology is a bloody minefield' - read the book and you'll see what I mean!

Comment

Working...
                              X