• Show
Clear All

Lacassagne & Vacher

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      Hello Darrel
      Why should that be, necessarily? Apart from the well-off, intrepid migrants or political refugees, overseas travel was hardly commonplace among the 19th Century working classes, and this remained the case until the latter half of the 20th Century.
      If it could be proved that Vacher had visited Whitechapel, at the time of the murders, then I would be convinced that he was the Ripper, but as it is, I cannot find any accounts of where he was in the autumn of terror.

Comment

Vacher didn't target prostitutes..not one victim was involved in the sex trade....just women, girls, and boys in isolated areas.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
          Vacher didn't target prostitutes..not one victim was involved in the sex trade....just women, girls, and boys in isolated areas.
          Vacher targeted anyone who was in a vulnerable position. The prostitutes in Whitechapel were very vulnerable.

Jack the Ripper did what he did for the pleasure of cutting and disemboweling. It had nothing to do with a vendetta against prostitutes.

Unless Vacher met Kelly while she was in France. Is it a coincidence that the last canonical victim had been to France? Maybe Vacher came to Whitechapel to find her?

Comment

Darrell:

Who other than shepherd girls did he kill ?
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

if anyone is interested, I did post a link where you can download the thesis.

A very short part of it relates to Jack The Ripper, the author referring to an early criminologist (same "school") from Washington DC, Dr MacDonald.

The report dates from 1893, which makes it interesting in the way that this tells us how the science evolved since then.

So, I translated the part of the thesis attributed to MacDonald. Bear in mind, I'm no professional translator.

It's all there:
              http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=9366

btw, if anyone needs help with French documents, let me know. I don't have time nor the competence to translate a whole book, but I can certainly give you a very acceptable version of an article.

The movie "Le juge et l'assassin" is loosely based on Vacher. It's a very interesting movie that did really good for the careers of three French actors: Philippe Noiret (a giant in French cinematography, passed away few years ago), Michel Galabru (great character actor who plays the assassin, died during the holidays at 93) and Isabelle Huppert (my favorite French actress, alive and well)

voilą.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrelX View Post
                Vacher targeted anyone who was in a vulnerable position. The prostitutes in Whitechapel were very vulnerable.

Jack the Ripper did what he did for the pleasure of cutting and disemboweling. It had nothing to do with a vendetta against prostitutes.

Unless Vacher met Kelly while she was in France. Is it a coincidence that the last canonical victim had been to France? Maybe Vacher came to Whitechapel to find her?
                in 1888, he was in Grenoble, France. He frequented prostitutes, and caught a venereal disease for which he received treatment, in February 1889.

Comment

Thanks a lot John.
                  I think this answers the fellow's question.
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                  X