• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    Gary:

On another note, you did notice the name James Hardiman in the Mitchell piece, didn't you ?
    Yes, I did!

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Gary:

On another note, you did notice the name James Hardiman in the Mitchell piece, didn't you ?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Thanks for that info, C.G.

Donald McCormick was a little like Robertson in that he invented dialogue for his 1959 ' Identity of Jack The Ripper'
    And it seems he may have come up with ‘Clay Pipe Alice’.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Courtesy of a colleague, I managed to get access to the Mitchell article.

The Rev. Mangin claimed his 1807 version of the story was largely his own invention based upon a traditional tale. The earliest extant written version of the tale is from 1672, but that was copied from an even earlier version, originally written in Latin.

Mitchell mentions a play called ‘The House of Lynch’ which was written by ‘ ‘J. Fay’ ( G. A. Little)’ and performed in 1938 and 1950. Unless Mitchell’s ‘J’ was an error, Robertson is unlikely to have been inspired to come up with the Fairy Fay name in connection to the Lynch legend.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Thanks for that info, C.G.

Donald McCormick was a little like Robertson in that he invented dialogue for his 1959 ' Identity of Jack The Ripper'

Leave a comment:

• AP Wolf
    replied
    Thanks Chris, much appreciated! I think your comments to be very valid where his work concerned WWII, but he seems to have somehow obtained a lot of confidential documents for his expose on the Suez Crisis, leading, as I said, to questions being asked in Parliament as to how Robertson got hold of this material. But, yes, he was entirely without scruple, when it came to his private or public life, and he would do just about anything - and I mean anything - to get good copy, as you will see when my effort is published in a few weeks time. I think some of your quotes from above would apply very readily to a large number of Ripper writers who were also not going to let pesky little facts get in the way of a good story!

Leave a comment:

• Chris G.
    replied
    Following are two slides from the talk I gave on Terence Robertson and Fairy Fay at the Arbor City Hotel. You can readily see where Robertson was coming from whenever it came to writing about historical events, i.e., it's okay to add a bit of fiction, as long as the "basic truth" is told. No wonder Canadian military historians have a low view of his book on Dieppe.

Leave a comment:

• AP Wolf
    replied
    This one is a bit off-topic, but it does show that Terence Robertson inhabited a very murky and quirky world for someone who was, after all, a highly successful and acclaimed writer of some very serious factual war books, so factual and revealing that questions were asked in the House of Commons as to where he had obtained the material from for his book on the Suez Crisis as that was covered by the Official Secrets Act; and then the next minute he is offering an obviously insane killer a six figure sum for the film and book rights of his story? https://archive.macleans.ca/article/...rious-assassin

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    A.P.

Any chance your talk will be recorded ? I for one would love to hear it.

Gary

Check your p.m.s...
    Thanks, How!

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    A.P.

Any chance your talk will be recorded ? I for one would love to hear it.

Gary

Check your p.m.s...

Leave a comment:

• AP Wolf
    replied
    Thanks for the link, Gary! I would love to hear more from Chris George on his comment in that thread! 'There is good reason to think that Terence Robertson did have gambling debts. I will be talking about him in my talk Saturday, November 5 at the Arbor City Hotel . The talk is a follow-up to my article in Ripperologist a decade ago. I now have a lot more information about Robertson and his life that I will be revealing to the audience at the conference a week tomorrow.' As I know Robertson did have serious debts and he paid them off in a very novel and spectacular manner!

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    This is the old thread I had in mind:

https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/the-...ge2#post384977

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    I’d like to see Mitchell’s full article. I think he came to the conclusion that the 1674 tale by a ‘Spanish Dominican’ was fictional because he could not find an earlier version.

I also found the references to the coursing dogs. I looked into this some time ago when Chris G (I think) raised the issue.

The 1948 ‘Fairy Fay’ ‘Fair Victim’ reference was the one that particularly struck me.

Leave a comment:

• AP Wolf
    replied
    I think I must have found that 'J.Fay' link a few seconds after you, Gary! Yes indeed, there was a very famous serialised children's story called 'The Wendy Hut' which appeared in many newspapers in the 1920s and 30s, with its central character as Fairy Fay, perhaps that was young Robertson's first foray into journalism? As well as your horse Fairy Fay, which in the early days was owned by a Mr RM Liddell, wealthy Irish linen manufacturer from Belfast, there was a very famous coursing greyhound called Fairy Fay in the LVP whose bloodline commanded enormous fees for that time period. So it would seem that the name Fairy Fay would have been commonly known amongst the Irish fratenity of London, as most of the 'slippers' - the men who controlled and then released the greyhounds at the course meetings - were of Irish origin. Hopefully I have successfully bookmarked a site here which makes it quite plain that the Lynch legend was a work of fiction! https://www.advertiser.ie/Galway/art...e-lynch-window

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	59AC6A41-BDFE-4BA7-8B0C-1E5780BC8D11.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	574040 AP,

Did you notice that he called Nichols ‘Pretty Polly’? He seems to have been fond of a catchy moniker. ‘Fairy Fay’ wasn’t only the name of a race horse, it was the name of a character in pantomime and children’s stories.

I’ve always thought that Fairy Fay was thought of as a fictional creation by most - a name randomly applied to the unnamed, and almost certainly non-existent, December 1887 victim who appeared in early lists of the victims.

The website above may be of interest, I can’t access it myself, but it seems to give the author of the Lynch play as a J. Fay. The Lynch legend goes back at least to 1674 (or so Wiki tells me ;-)).

Gary

Leave a comment:

Working...
X