George Robert Sims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Robert Sims

The author, poet, playwright, journalist and man of letters George R. Sims had a long-standing interest in the Ripper case, an interest which he shared with his friend Sir Melville Macnaghten. So it is no surprise that Sims' preferred theory was that of Macnaghten - the drowned 'doctor' in the Thames. The following obscure piece by Sims I discovered in a scrapbook back in 1995 and although I have quoted from it I do not believe the whole piece has been seen before. It is from the Yarmouth Independent of February 25, 1911 -

Dear SPE:

I have a Sims related question which I will put the link to here in a moment for your evaluation.
    http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?p=83063&posted=1#post83063
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for posting a very interesting article.

As you said, "Sims' preferred theory was . . . the drowned 'doctor' in the Thames", and Sims wrote that "there was ample proof that the real author of the horrors had committed suicide in the last stage of his maniacal frenzy."

Sims also wrote—

"As a matter of fact the features of the man who is now believed by the authorities to have been Jack, did bear a certain resemblance to mine."

Click image for larger version

Name:	SIMS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	550381 Click image for larger version

Name:	mjdruitt.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	550380

Interesting that both Sims and Druitt had centre partings.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Simon

But would his features have been that recognizable after a month in the water, except to William? Assuming the police didn't trace old college photos of him, perhaps William had a photo that he showed the police?

Comment

Hi Robert,

I was thinking much the same thing myself. How was Sims able to say that "Jack" bore a resemblance to himself?

So I checked back on the story. In October 1889 Sims wrote—

"I sent Albert Edward over the other day to interview the gentleman who has been taking my portrait to newspaper editors and to Dr. Forbes Winslow, and assuring them that it is like Jack the Ripper, and that is the sort of man the police have to look for. I am pleased to learn that the gentleman does not say that I am Jack - but only that he is very like me. The gentleman in question keeps a coffee-stall, and is certain that one night after committing a murder Jack came and refreshed himself at his establishment. His story is very plausible, and there may be something in it, but I can't say that I feel flattered to learn that the notorious lady-killer is as like me as one Dromio was to the other.

"Me think it was Dagonet!" exclaimed the coffee-stall keeper to Albert Edward; "not likely. Why, Jack the Ripper had three hot pork sausages at my stall, and a cold meat pie. If I'd thought it was DAGONET by the likeness, I should have known it wasn't by the sausages." Certainly the sausages are strong circumstantial evidence in my favour. My digestion has saved my reputation."

Still interesting about the centre partings, though.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Portrait Sketch

A portrait sketch of George R Sims -

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
              Hi Stewart,

Thanks for posting a very interesting article.

As you said, "Sims' preferred theory was . . . the drowned 'doctor' in the Thames", and Sims wrote that "there was ample proof that the real author of the horrors had committed suicide in the last stage of his maniacal frenzy."

Sims also wrote—

"As a matter of fact the features of the man who is now believed by the authorities to have been Jack, did bear a certain resemblance to mine."

[ATTACH]6899[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]6898[/ATTACH]

Interesting that both Sims and Druitt had centre partings.

Regards,

Simon
              "Interesting that both Sims and Druitt had centre partings."

Except that in that age, a man at night outside on the street would have been wearing a hat, so the centre parting likely would not have been seen.

Chris
              Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
              https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
              Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Originally posted by SPE View Post
                A portrait sketch of George R Sims -

[ATTACH]6900[/ATTACH]
                Thanks, Stewart. The artist's name is very interesting. . . .

Chris
                Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Social Kaleidoscope

The sketch on the cover of the Social Kaleidoscope which was the one upon which he was 'recognised as Jack the Ripper', it was his first book -

Comment

Hi Stewart,

Centre parting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spsims.jpg
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	550382

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Chris,

"Except that in that age, a man at night outside on the street would have been wearing a hat, so the centre parting likely would not have been seen."

You should seriously consider a reality check.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

I sense that it can't be long before someone writes a book accusing Sims, who would have committed the murders for reasons of social reform, and then accused Druitt to cover himself.

And now I just know that Stewart will tell me it's already been done!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                          Centre parting.

[ATTACH]6901[/ATTACH]
                          It doesn't look in the precise centre to me, Simon... but perhaps I'm splitting hairs

Comment

Splitting hairs or not, part in center, hat on or off, Sims got into it with an Inspector in '89 over bumping into one of the Queens kinfolk :

Los Angeles Times
                            May 28,1889
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Sims Collection Sold

I wonder if any of the merchandise was Ripper related...such as missives and the like.

The Argus( Melbourne)
                              April 14, 1923
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X